One part of our team that is working well

Apparently we have also had fewer fumbles this year than in any other season, Miami game notwithstanding. They mentioned this on the coach's show Monday but I didn't quite hear what was said.

Apparently we have also had fewer fumbles this year than in any other season, Miami game notwithstanding. They mentioned this on the coach's show Monday but I didn't quite hear what was said.
CPJ said "please don't talk about this, that's when it turns around". I agree with him, it's like a no-hitter.

So the best performing parts of our team is the one being coached by Lamar Owens

Not sure how our punt return stats are up when we never make anybody punt.

I was at the Pittsburgh game and saw the one time we made them punt.

How many times did Clemson punt? Six.

How many times did Miami punt? Six.

It really doesn't matter all that much about how many times we made them punt now does it? We led the game late in the 4th quarter, and were in a position to drive for a winning FG at the end.

But to go back to your whiny bitch statement about never making anyone punt. We have played very respectable defense in 2nd half of every game this season. But we simply don't have the depth to play a 4 quarter game defensively. Roof has to be conservative in his schemes to make sure we can finish a game. Guys didn't get it done in the first half of this one, but to me that doesn't overshadow how well they have played this season. But to you, one game just seems to make your vee jay jay all sandy.

But to go back to your whiny bitch statement about never making anyone punt.

First of all, my original comment was partially in jest. I'm not the one calling for heads around here.

And to say that it doesn't matter how many times we made them punt is absurd. Of course it matters. We squeeze one more punt out of Miami and Pitt and we are 5-1 versus 3-3.

And here's a stat you can take with your obviously overdue Midol: Right now, our opponents are converting 3rd downs at a 46% clip. That ranks us at 106 (out of 128 FBS programs).

Right now, our opponents are converting 3rd downs at a 46% clip. That ranks us at 106 (out of 128 FBS programs).

You did see my comment about lack of depth, right? We cannot put any pressure on the QB without blitzing. Teams we play know that, and expect it. Pitt has a good QB and they had a good game plan to come at us with.

The defense did a more than respectable job against the two toughest teams we have played so far. Remember those? If our offense had showed up in either of those games, the outcomes could've been much different.

Four or five years back, Special Teams were costing us a couple of games per year IIRC. Butker has been a very valuable player for us.

That stat is surprising, because some of the fumbles we've had were so memorable. The two scoop 6s against Miami and the INT/fumble/safety against Clemson really sucked the life out of us. I guess it's not the number of fumbles but the size of the fumbles that counts.

That stat is surprising, because some of the fumbles we've had were so memorable. The two scoop 6s against Miami and the INT/fumble/safety against Clemson really sucked the life out of us. I guess it's not the number of fumbles but the size of the fumbles that counts.

I think the context was on the quality of our snaps, handoffs, pitches and overall ball security this year. I agree the ones we've had have scarred my brain.

You did see my comment about lack of depth, right? We cannot put any pressure on the QB without blitzing. Teams we play know that, and expect it. Pitt has a good QB and they had a good game plan to come at us with.

The defense did a more than respectable job against the two toughest teams we have played so far. Remember those? If our offense had showed up in either of those games, the outcomes could've been much different.

So why the lack of depth? Are we on probation? Higher level of injuries? Lets dig deeper on this issue.

So why the lack of depth? Are we on probation? Higher level of injuries? Lets dig deeper on this issue.

@GTFLETCH already has:

https://www.stingtalk.com/board/threads/too-soon-to-pull-the-plug-on-cpj.89993/page-3#post-1858389

Roof has basically 2 recruiting classes on the field at this point. He has been a part of 3 classes, but consider that pretty much all of his 2016 guys are redshirted. Of the guys in his classes that are playing, 12 guys on the 2-deep did not redshirt, i.e. they played as freshmen. So, we are behind the curve a bit from a maturity level.

Also, according to the 2-deep, there are 6 guys from the 2012 and 2013 classes. SIX. TOTAL. At least 10 of the 22 guys on there should be 4th and 5th year guys. I just glanced at Pitt's depth chart and they have 11 guys that are either RS JR, SR, or RS SR. And their chart even goes 3-deep in some positions. Other schools will show similar situations.

Additionally, we all know that our recruiting has improved under Roof, dramatically in some cases. Let's not forget that one of our starters on the DL (until recently anyway) was brought in on sheer potential, and has not panned out.

So, we have a dearth of upperclassmen, the guys we do have playing are a year younger than would be preferred from an experience standpoint, and our upperclassmen that we do have are not as talented as some of the guys are we getting now. Those things combine for a real problem from a depth standpoint.

My takeaway, and I hope yours as well, is that Roof is raising the bar on our defense. But it takes time to overcome the barren cupboard he was left with. He's bringing a strong class this year, and I think the next two years will show an uptick in defensive performance similar to what we've seen from when he got here until now.

@GTFLETCH already has:

https://www.stingtalk.com/board/threads/too-soon-to-pull-the-plug-on-cpj.89993/page-3#post-1858389

Roof has basically 2 recruiting classes on the field at this point. He has been a part of 3 classes, but consider that pretty much all of his 2016 guys are redshirted. Of the guys in his classes that are playing, 12 guys on the 2-deep did not redshirt, i.e. they played as freshmen. So, we are behind the curve a bit from a maturity level.

Also, according to the 2-deep, there are 6 guys from the 2012 and 2013 classes. SIX. TOTAL. At least 10 of the 22 guys on there should be 4th and 5th year guys. I just glanced at Pitt's depth chart and they have 11 guys that are either RS JR, SR, or RS SR. And their chart even goes 3-deep in some positions. Other schools will show similar situations.

Additionally, we all know that our recruiting has improved under Roof, dramatically in some cases. Let's not forget that one of our starters on the DL (until recently anyway) was brought in on sheer potential, and has not panned out.

So, we have a dearth of upperclassmen, the guys we do have playing are a year younger than would be preferred from an experience standpoint, and our upperclassmen that we do have are not as talented as some of the guys are we getting now. Those things combine for a real problem from a depth standpoint.

My takeaway, and I hope yours as well, is that Roof is raising the bar on our defense. But it takes time to overcome the barren cupboard he was left with. He's bringing a strong class this year, and I think the next two years will show an uptick in defensive performance similar to what we've seen from when he got here until now.

Other than the dwag cliche, agree wholeheartedly. This recruiting class coming in is going to be amazing, given time. Any whiskey, worth it's while is aged.

Back