Only 9 Senior/RS Seniors

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
That's it? Will be interesting to see if AC comes back strong and redeems his collegiate football career.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I interpret this as a good thing.

I can't cite specific years but seems I recall that whenever we had a bottom-heave roster (in terms of starters/class), we subsequently kicked major butt soon thereafter.

Last edited:

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Are the players who were juniors last year still being labeled as juniors?

FullMetalBuzz

Posting from your mom’s house
4 of those are transfers that Collins brought in (Clayton, McGowan, Johnson, Cochran).

agt45

Distinguished Gentleman
Seems so.
The problem is that fall 20 and fall 21 classes are going to be considered true freshmen. So every team is going to have ballpark 40 true freshmen and those numbers will clog up rosters for the next 4 years.

and that means the fall 22 classes will be small because of lack of available scholarships.

Going to be interesting to watch.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Hopefully we take a big step forward in 2021 but 2022 will tell the tale, at least from an experience standpoint.

Tariq Carpenter S
Bruce Jordan-Swilling S
Kyric McGowan S
Djimon Brooks RS-S
Antonneous Clayton RS-S
Joseph Macrina RS-S
Kenny Cooper RS-S
Ryan Johnson RS-S
Devin Cochran RS-S
Of those, it’s hard to really count Macrina - he’s bounced around from offense to defense and has seldom seen the field due to depth and injuries, whether under CPJ or CGC. He hasn’t really been a gameday contributor, more of a scout team and bench guy.

JRjr

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
The problem is that fall 20 and fall 21 classes are going to be considered true freshmen. So every team is going to have ballpark 40 true freshmen and those numbers will clog up rosters for the next 4 years.

and that means the fall 22 classes will be small because of lack of available scholarships.

Going to be interesting to watch.
The average age of all FBS teams just went up a year?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
This will be the case at every school in the country. Juniors didn’t become seniors; and a portion of seniors are moving on with their lives. This isn’t unique to GT and doesn’t indicate a young team.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Probably a back log at every school. I could see even more transfers after spring practice.
Yeah but where do they transfer to since everyone else is full?

I expect the NCAA to do something. Maybe some grandfathering? Maybe a temporary increase like to 100 schollys then drop by 5 per year?

Techbert

Dodd-Like
So how many seniors will we have, if we don't count walk-ons and transfers? Or doubled-up COVID seniors?

One?

Helluva recruiting job, that Coach Paul Johnson.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
Yeah but where do they transfer to since everyone else is full?

I expect the NCAA to do something. Maybe some grandfathering? Maybe a temporary increase like to 100 schollys then drop by 5 per year?
Seniors don’t count towards 85 limit. They can likely go anywhere.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
Seniors don’t count towards 85 limit. They can likely go anywhere.
I think transferring seniors still count against the 85 (Cochran). It's only for those who stay on the same roster for an extra year.

And I suspect we'll see guys transferring down to G5 or FBS schools. HBCUs could get a big surge.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Yep, we can debate if Collins has “his roster” in 21 but there will be zero debate starting in 22.

Just an observation, don’t draw any conclusions.
Not much to debate, this is Collins roster in '21. In fact, between the portal and all these guys getting an extra year all the 'roster excuses' should be moot. Everyone should be expecting a bowl game this season.