only TIME will provide the proper conclusion

law_bee

Dodd-Like
I was very critical of O'leary his last year. I felt that the program had taken a step back and we were losing games we should not be losing.

There may come a time I feel CG is NOT the right man for the job, but IT IS NOT HERE YET!

There are TOO MANY POSITIVES from this season. And when you look at losing 21 players from last year (flunkgate and graduating starters) we are hanging in there pretty good.

If we lose to UNC by 21 then I am going to be upset, but as of now we have been able to rebound from our losses.

To be honest I am AMAZED at the arrogance of some of our fans. If you people were not MORE EMBARRASSED by the 01 MD loss than the Duke loss I think you have a different perspective than I do.

We have a rookie qb that struggled to 4 turnovers. That fact alone means you lose the game. Our run Defense (one of the best in the country) gave up 200+ yds to one of their backs. Those two facts are the reason we lost.

We have been poor on special teams ALL YEAR, but have been able to overcome it. Turnovers and weak run defense were something we had not seen in awhile.

LawBee .. you make too much sense. far too much sense. i totally agree with you.

Originally posted by law_bee:
To be honest I am AMAZED at the arrogance of some of our fans. If you people were not MORE EMBARRASSED by the 01 MD loss than the Duke loss I think you have a different perspective than I do.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep, I guess we have a different perspective.

Getting beaten in overtime by the conference representative to the BCS is MUCH more embarrassing than getting blown out by a team with a 30 game conference losing streak.

This should be so obvious to everyone. Or maybe not....

Good post lawbee. As most all the old Stingtalk regulars know I had serious reservations about Chan last year as I openly stated that I thought we had the wrong man. But few if any knew what CG had on his plate at the time and to Chan's credit he didn't howl about the hand that had been dealt him.

I predicted before the season started that I thought Tech would win 3 games and that was based on last year's results plus the spring attrition that left our coaches shorthanded. This has been a very strange season to say the least as we have gone from one extreme to the other with dizzying frequency.
I still have some concerns and will continue to have until some degree of consistency is established but it is difficult to see how a fair minded person would not be willing to give him a chance considering what he has done under trying circumstances.
We all know that he is playing with very young athletes at key positions plus we are not privy to any unusual things that may be going on behind the scenes that the average fan doesn't know about and maybe will never know about them. Football is not a complicated game as evidenced by some that has excelled at it that were far from Rhodes Scholars but it doesn't take much to turn a good team to an average one or worse.
For the most part I have tried to stay away from analysing the team until the season is over and we can see the whole product. But there are some things that bother many of us and that is when we see little or no improvement on our special teams
and particular our kickoff coverage. I hope this can be corrected as it is the sort of thing that is correctable. But i'm sure if we discussed this with Chan we would find that there is good reasons for this although that is where i'm hearing the most criticism.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Huh!!! We only lost to the ACC champs because of awful first-half playcalling and Joe Burns ran out of bounds. I don't know how that compares to losing by 24 points to a team on a 30 game conference losing streak. As far as starting a rookie QB, that was Gailey's choice. He didn't have to start a true freshmen. I think the question needs to be asked why Reggie has dropped off after Wake Forest. This is the problem I have with the 3-headed offensive coordinator. Nix is the quarterback coach but also the running game coordinator. I wonder if Reggie is getting the full attention he needs.

well stated 3518. I remember some frustrating times under O'Leary, but I never doubted we would show up and fight.

O'Leary lost by 24 points or more points 7 times in his 7.25 years as HC. 4 of the 7 were against FSU when they were beating the crap out of everyone and another was the UGA game when he was interim coach. Gailey has lost by 24 or more points 4 times in 1.75 years as HC. Even when we were bad under O'Leary we were competitive in almost every game.

JTS,

I have never seen anybody so happy to lose by a few! I am going on record that next year if we lose a lot of games by 1pt I would still want CG fired.

I have said all along I want the coach to be measured by W's and L's. You must be thrilled to death with that 1pt loss to F$U.

I just can't get past losses. I don't really care whether it is 1 pt or 50 pts. As long as the players rebound any loss is the same.

Given the choice of losing to Duke or F$U I WOULD CHOOSE DUKE EVERY YEAR!

IN FACT THAT F$U LOSS HURT MUCH MORE THAN THE DUKE LOSS!

Everytime I look at those standing I just see W's and L's. Maybe they should give you 1/2 win for close losses. Then I would be on board with that whole "close game" plan.

Originally posted by law_bee:
Given the choice of losing to Duke or F$U I WOULD CHOOSE DUKE EVERY YEAR!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I certainly appreciate the fight you are trying to win, but that is some F'ed up logic. Sit down, thing about it, and carry it through all of its ramifications. You can't honestly belive that can you?

How would your proffesional reputation hold up if you lost in the courtroom every single time by one of the worst litigators (by W-L records) in your realm of law?

law_bee,

I guess where we differ is that you believe wins and losses just happen. I believe wins are the culmination of hard work and good preparation. Inconsistency and getting blown out on a periodic basis are not the hallmarks of a well prepared team. If a team plays hard and is well prepared, it usually stays in the game until the fourth quarter and has a chance to win regardless of the difference in talent (see Duke vs. Tennesse or NC State).

Our experienced, $1M per year HC got taken to school by a guy that supposedly was not good enough to be our D-coordinator in his third game as interim HC with one of the worst teams talent-wise in all of Division IA. Hopefully, CG will take a look at the game tapes of Duke's offense to see what a well prepared offense looks like.

Back