Optimist , Pessimist , or Realist

A

ALlives

The one thing I CANNOT get out of my head, is how the players quit in the mutt game.

I saw it,
my friends saw it,
ex-TECH players saw it and said it in print and on the airwaves.

In my estimation that is as big an indicator as there is that coaching is a major problem. I have never seen anything resembling that kind of effort in my 32 years of following TECH football. O'BRIEN leaving and taking a job cut is just icing on the cake.

I too hope I am wrong, but I believe we are just marking time with the current coaching staff. You can't fire a staff after 1 season if you ever hope to get a quality coaching staff down the road. DB's hands are tied for the moment.

AL... maybe we watched a different game against FSU in 2001... but that team quit as well.. it was also noted in the papers and by the opposing coach... Gailey wasnt the coach then... if you dont believe me.. pull the tape out and watch it again..

The one thing I CANNOT get out of my head, is how the players quit in the mutt game.

I saw it,
my friends saw it,

In my estimation that is as big an indicator as there is that coaching is a major problem. I have never seen anything resembling that kind of effort in my 32 years of following TECH football. O'BRIEN leaving and taking a job cut is just icing on the cake.

I too hope I am wrong, but I believe we are just marking time with the current coaching staff. You can't fire a staff after 1 season if you ever hope to get a quality coaching staff down the road. DB's hands are tied for the moment.

ALlives, I don't pay any attention to anyone who deals in doubletalk!

grin.gif

I saw it,
my friends saw it,
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I saw it too, but my take on it is different. When O'Leary took the reins from Lewis, there were several (many?) players on the team that never played for GT again - why? Because they quit on the coaches. In games, in practice. O'Leary played the ones that wanted to play. It resulted in a huge derth of talent for the next year or two, but GO eventually got his players in that wanted to play for him.

I think that O'Brian had his players and when, as the season wore on and Gailey took more of an active role in the offense (since it wasn't doing too well) some players and possibly O'Brian just quit on Gailey. And quite honestly, I kinda think gradegate may have been a further purge. Let another recruiting season go by, with more of Gailey's players and I don't think we'll see the same issues we saw last year.

I have never seen anything resembling that kind of effort in my 32 years of following TECH football
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Where were you in '94? The Duke game that year was the worse I have ever, ever seen.

I give up. How the heck did that happen?????

Jacketguy--I'm sure you're right. You must be because I erased the game. Still, I never heard or read a reaction to a TECH performance like the one after last years mutt game.

I have 1/2 dozen non-TECH friends all coming to the same conclusion. It'll be 5 years minimum before we compete with the mutts again, much less compete with the rest of the strength on our schedule, and these are people that pull for TECH

Originally posted by ALlives:
I give up. How the heck did that happen?????

Jacketguy--I'm sure you're right. You must be because I erased the game. Still, I never heard or read a reaction to a TECH performance like the one after last years mutt game.

I have 1/2 dozen non-TECH friends all coming to the same conclusion. It'll be 5 years minimum before we compete with the mutts again, much less compete with the rest of the strength on our schedule, and these are people that pull for TECH
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ALLives .. i am sure that you and your five friends have never been wrong in your life ever.

therefore i will join you in saying that we should take a 5 year hiatus from college football.

i get excited or pessimistic based on msg board content as the summer progresses each season.

this yr, im just confused so far.

wggjacket, you have a right to be confused, because you are exactly right. It all deals in perception.

The real truth is only revealed after the season is played.

Take the team and board, let the administrator proof every post before it goes on the board, and delete those post not wanted on the board.

If the administrator deleted all negative posts, we would be convinced of a national championship. If the admin deleted all positive posts, we would be convinced we would not win a game. It is that simple.

That is why we have so many upsets during the year, and the projected winner of the national championship seldom wins it. That is also why we have so-called Cinderella teams. The perception is not the reality.

The games must be played to find out the true results.

drinking.gif

ylojk8--I'm just gonna pretend your sarcasim comes naturally and that you don't really intend to post foolishly.

Originally posted by ALlives:
ylojk8--I'm just gonna pretend your sarcasim comes naturally and that you don't really intend to post foolishly.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i intend to post in a reactionary manner. ask a stupid question .. get a stupid answer .. that kind of deal.

Last year, it seems that CG was getting a lot of credit for holding GT together with all of the bad things that happend to us (i.e. injuries). It was only after the UGA game that things got really bad. The bowl game and academic problems that followed made it all worse.

I'd like to see CG turn it around but I'm pessimistic as well - though I remain strong in my support of GT. I still think with some breaks that GT could get 6 or 7 wins. At the same time, we could wind up 2 wins or less.

The bad thing about GT's situation is that if its not corrected soon, it could have long lasting effects. We need to be closer to the top of the ACC with UM and VT coming on board.

Well, I am an optimist.

I believe we'll have our rough times and probably come close to a .500 record, but I think we will exceed expectations, turn some heads, and upset some people. Here's hoping for seven staright bowl trips!

Having lurked here on Stingtalk, regarding
the status of our football program, I
have decided that "we" Tech fans are
either optimists, pessimists, or
realists.

It is not for me to say which one of
these words describes any of you, I
guess you have to make that call.

I don't consider myself an optimist, simply
because I don't believe that everything will
work it's way out for the best. I see
big problems with some of the things
happening with our Athletic Administration
and how our players are being coached.

I don't consider myself a pessimist, because
even though things are not as good as I think
they should be, I cannot find fault with
everything at GT.

So I guess I am a realist. Having survived the
post Bobby Dodd years, I guess I have seen
a little bit of everything that can happen
to a football program and mostly were bad,except
for the Coach Ross years. Coach Ross left the
"proverbial" cupboard full when he left for the
Pros.

I think back to what our football program was
like after Bill Lewis was released as our
head football coach.

And to make a long story short, I sadly see
some of the same bad things taking place with
our football program under the current athletic
administration and our current coaching regime.

I hope that I am proven wrong and I will be the
first to say so, "but as I see it, things will
get worse before they get better."

You have just defined yourself as a pessimist. Your forecast is pessimism.

I am a realist.

I believe you cannot tell one year from the next because of changes in a program.

Since we have had some changes in the coaching staff, I don't think any of us know how it will turn out this year.

The realism in me says we have to play the games and see what happens. Since I cannot see into the future I would only be guessing. Each person that guesses has a 50/50 chance of guessing right or wrong.

Success or Failure equals two choices and a 50% guessing rate.

History is somewhat of a guide, but it is blurred in this situation.

If you take the history of Gailey's record, it says he has never had a failure, and has always been mildly to extremely successful in every coaching venture. The total season last year was not a failure. The record of 7-6 cannot be considered a failure.

However, the latter part of the year was a failure. Was the latter part of the year due to the coaching ability of Chan or the lack thereof, or did the players just quit on him?

A realist says there were problems last year, changes have been made in the program, and we must wait to see if the changes are effective.

Pessimism says the season will be a failure.
Optimism says the season will be a success.

You can't be a realist and predict doom for the team. Your prediction (your action) means more than your words.

wink.gif

Then put me down for PESSIMIST but I can still wear my gold, pound a
budlight_small.gif
or 12 before the game, eat like a King with friends afterwards all the while perservering through a (3-9) season.

Back