Option Punt

This is the sorta thing that works once a year. Now that we've shown it, I'm sure other teams will guard against it.

That's the point, if they have to guard against it then they can't focus on defending the return, thus we should be able to have more guys free to tackle the returner. Plus, any time you can put pressure on the other team you should. If we run this kind of punt most of the time, the impetus is on the other team to make sure they prevent it.

I wonder how easy it is to read the defense in terms of all-out block, mix of block/return, and all-out return.

I was wondering the same thing. It depends on the formation. These days I'm seeing some crazy looking punt return formations, and it is probably a lot harder to gauge with players scrambled all over the place. Teams rarely lineup in the "EA SPORTS NCAA" "Punt Return" formation.

I'm sure the first thing he looks at is the edge.

That's the point, if they have to guard against it then they can't focus on defending the return, thus we should be able to have more guys free to tackle the returner. Plus, any time you can put pressure on the other team you should. If we run this kind of punt most of the time, the impetus is on the other team to make sure they prevent it.

I'm aware that it will hep our coverage team out.

I'm just pointing out that I don't expect our Punter to get 15 yards down the sideline untouched anytime soon. Kinda sucks that it worked... and we were unable to capitalize off of it.

I'm aware that it will hep our coverage team out.

I'm just pointing out that I don't expect our Punter to get 15 yards down the sideline untouched anytime soon. Kinda sucks that it worked... and we were unable to capitalize off of it.

I get what you're saying but in the long run it may prevent teams from being able to set up returns.

How about an option XP or FG?!?! let's get crazy!

Well UNC tried it, and Oregon does it all the time. That's not the same thing, though, because those fake XP's are pre-snap reads. You don't have holders deciding mid-play to pull it and throw (although NCAA Football tried that a few years ago and it was kind of ridiculous).

The fake punt thing is good because you can read it during the play, just like any other option. The punter can roll right or left and decide to keep it if there's space and punt it if there isn't.

Very happy about both kickers! They are the lone bright spot on an otherwise big pile ööööe!

Somebody quick-punted in the LSU-Fla game; it reminded me of Dodd punting on third down. You guys who complain of PJ's offense being boring (not me) should have been around in the 50s.

Curry did it too. I remember an 80 yard punt on 3rd down by Mike Kelley.
Pepper Rodgers used it, too. I remember one game where the GT QB quick kicked, and the ball went straight up in the air. It ended up being a two yard punt.

well,the option punt ain't that great sometimes -like THREE times he kicked into ez vs UM instead of trying to down close to goal.BIG difference

well,the option punt ain't that great sometimes -like THREE times he kicked into ez vs UM instead of trying to down close to goal.BIG difference

Yep, certainly Scott and Coach Walkosky totally intentionally avoided pinning the ball in the corner. You're right that was the plan.

One key to that play working right then was our players on the left sprinting down field to tackle the punt returner instead of trying to block. It made the Pitt players over there turn their backs instead of watching Poole.

It is a 'green' or 'red' punt call.

Red is typical punt.

Green means Poole has the option to run or rugby punt.

We've ran it 4 or 5 times this year. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Back