OSU won fair and square...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
This is a general rebuttal to the thread below. It's interesting how everyone is focusing on the OT call (which I think was a bad call). Did everyone forget the call during the end of regulation, where the OSU receiver was held blatantly (should have been a penalty) and then caught the ball in bounds but was ruled out of bounds (should have been a catch). This forced OSU to punt and Miami returned the ball close enough to get near field goal range.

Basically, that missed call (2 bad calls in one play) sent the game to OT. IMO, OSU won the game in regulation and was unfairly forced into an OT.

Also, Clarett did take the ball back from the Miami guy. That was a good call, similar to the George Teague play in January, 1993.

OSU won this game fair and square. OSU is the National Champs and they earned it.

Miami also turned the ball over 5 times. OSU 0. Enough said, Miami beat themselves.

Also if OSU had kicked a field goal early in the game instead of going for the fake the game would have never gone to overtime.

Of course blaming the officials doesn't mean MIami and their fans have to take responsibility for their poor play and subsquent loss.

I have a slightly different take on the Interference call.

Under the circumstances, on fourth down with the game on the line, it is correct IMHO for an official to make a close call in favor of the offense. The logic is this

At live speed there was a lot of contact and the call was 50-50. The official is not sure so he makes the interference call.
If there was interference he is right.
If there was no interference and Miami wins anyway nobody cares.
There is only a 25% chance that the call will be questioned.

If he does not make the interference call and he is wrong, OSU loses. There is a 50% chance that he is wrong and no question in that case he will be blamed for the loss.

IMHO the ref should always make the safe call if the play is so close that he is unsure. So in that way it was a good (and the correct) call.

GTCrew,

I gotta admit, your logic is...well, confusing. But my point for this thread is to say that there should never have been an OT. More blatant ref screwups happened at the end of regulation and benefitted Miami.

Originally posted by GTCrew:
I have a slightly different take on the Interference call.

Under the circumstances, on fourth down with the game on the line, it is correct IMHO for an official to make a close call in favor of the offense. The logic is this

At live speed there was a lot of contact and the call was 50-50. The official is not sure so he makes the interference call.
If there was interference he is right.
If there was no interference and Miami wins anyway nobody cares.
There is only a 25% chance that the call will be questioned.

If he does not make the interference call and he is wrong, OSU loses. There is a 50% chance that he is wrong and no question in that case he will be blamed for the loss.

IMHO the ref should always make the safe call if the play is so close that he is unsure. So in that way it was a good (and the correct) call.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
bsmeter.gif

Give me a break Ramblinwise. I suppose you think it was the worst call ever but IMHO you are way off.

Pass interference is almost as bad as OL holding. It could be called on nearly every play. The contact was not as bad as some that was not called earlier. Still Interference is a judgement call.

I'm sure it is crystal clear to you after seeing it from multiple angles in slo-mo that the contact was after the ball arrived so you will always think that it was a horrible call no matter what.

It is a lot like 'the fumble'. After slo-mo review and freze frame photography it looks like he was down to me. But the fumble call was the correct one in the game because it was the safe call (and the SEC rulebook backs the call up).

There is some Deja-vu going on for me at this point so I will stop.

Wait a minute, I have always heard about how a true "Champion" will find a way to perservere when the game his not going their way. We have always heard about the heart of pitchers who win without their best pitches is a prime example. As I see it this Miami Hurricanes bunch earned more respect from me in a loss than in any of their 34 straight wins. From the very start nothing went Miami's way. They may have been as surprised as everybody at the Buckeyes speed on defence. But they managed to hang around and when it looked like they was hitting their stride McGahee, the stud running back tears his knee all to hell. Still this team showed the heart of a great Heavywight champion by coming up with the field goal on the last play of regulation despite being frozen twice by the buckeyes. Just ask the N.Y. Giants how hard it is to do this! They went ahead in O.T. and with the Buckeyes at 4th down inside the 5 yard line the Buckeyes was finally the team that blinked! Only the refs bailed them out. We all know what happen after that with the Buckeyes scoring to tie and then go ahead. Finally with Ken Dorsey beat all to hell and Jarret Payton uneable to pick up the running game did they fall. Now this post may make me look like a Canes fan but no I am not. I just know I saw a TEAM! Not a bunch of individuals. And HEART! They fought through every obstacle with true grit. I was more impressed with the Canes in defeat because they left everything on the field. I am not cutting down the Buckeyes because they was superb Friday night. But they needed the breaks to win as well as stand toe to toe and they got the big break. Hats off to them but the Canes won the game on the field only to have it taken away by a bad call. The contact could hardly have been called incidental much less pass interference. This was a obstacle the Canes could not overcome.

Stateline, I guess the five turnovers by Miami (several deep in their own territory) and the zero turnovers by OSU didn't contribute to the outcome of the game. This missed call late in the game by the officials when the Miami defensive player held the OSU receiver and there was no flag. Then the receiver actually catches the ball and is ruled out of bounds.

I know it is hard for all to accept that Miami made a lot of mistakes in turnovers, play calling, execution on offense and defense. It is even harder to say that with all of this they beat themselves.

What is easy to say is someone took the game away from them. Must be nice to be able to afford to live in your own little world where you don't have to take responsibility for your mistakes. Just blame it on someone else.

GMC 68: I do not wish to argue with you in as much as I usually agree with you. But I don't see where you got that part about blaming others and the turnovers etc. etc. because I compared them with a Big League pitcher who does not bring his "A" game but manages to perservere and win. How many times did we see Glavine or Maddux get nailed in the 1st inning or so but come out on top anyway. I spoke about the Canes coming through in spite of their mistakes. How many times in bowl games or Super Bowls have we saw teams cave in when things did not go their way. The CALL was bad. All other calls in the game was pretty much typical of a average game. But this bad call extended a game that for all purposes was over. I repeat the contact could hardly have been called "incidental" much less "pass interference". If thats me living in my own little world and not accepting responsibility for my mistakes and blaming everybody else than so be it.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
GMC 68: I do not wish to argue with you in as much as I usually agree with you. But I don't see where you got that part about blaming others and the turnovers etc. etc. because I compared them with a Big League pitcher who does not bring his "A" game but manages to perservere and win. How many times did we see Glavine or Maddux get nailed in the 1st inning or so but come out on top anyway. I spoke about the Canes coming through in spite of their mistakes. How many times in bowl games or Super Bowls have we saw teams cave in when things did not go their way. The CALL was bad. All other calls in the game was pretty much typical of a average game. But this bad call extended a game that for all purposes was over. I repeat the contact could hardly have been called "incidental" much less "pass interference". If thats me living in my own little world and not accepting responsibility for my mistakes and blaming everybody else than so be it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well, if the earlier bad call (actually calls, 2 in one play) had been properly made, the game never even gets to OT.

My point is that the OT call is a bogus point for those who think Miami was robbed. They weren't the only team that had bad calls go against them.

Stateline, I inadvertently left out that I agreed with you on how good Miami played in spite of having an off night. Even with the turnovers they were still in the game until the end.

I do disagree with anyone who blames the officials for a loss after not playing their best.

One of the fun aspects of sports is the fans arguing over officials calls. Hope it never changes.

GMC 68: I was referring to the posters who on this board who will make personal attacks while arguing. Do not count you as one of those and by the way I enjoy a good arguement myself!

Stateline and GMC, as an official it is interesting listening to people argue our calls. The best part is that during the game my opinion is the one that counts. And I am always right. LOL!!!!

Fair enough. OSU are the champs.

Unfortunately, I guess I missed the call at the end of regulation. I don't remember that one at all.

Pretty dadgum good football game.

i agree with what kornheiser said....

if you cant stop someone in OT on a 4th and 14 you dont have the right to complain about a bad call

Back