Our offensive strategy will be dictated...

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
by inexperience at QB and DL.....

For these two reasons, CG will have no choice but to have a ball-control offense, with run, run, run...This is not nesessarily a bad thing imo, because it plays to our strength (OL)...and, imo, it develops a certian mind-set with the OL, which is, "we'll drive it down their throats"...In my experience, the OL develops a mind-set of either finesse (like we seemed to have under Fridge) which can make it hard to run when you HAVE to run, AND when the defense is expecting the run....

or, if you are primary running team, I believe the complexion of the OL is different....IF it works (ie, if we can control the clock with successsful running game) that mentality can be contagious...

Another benefit to controlling the clock/game with the OL, is that with a fresh defense, you have the opportunity for a lot of 3-outs, as their offense has a hard time getting in synch....

....and it will keep our defense (esp. DL) off the field...

This kind of game is really our only chance IMO.
IF we can control the clock and game with a methodical running game, we might have a chance to do some damage and maybe pull a few upsets this year...I think our OL can do it, and I also believe that we'll be OK at running back:

Heres why:
I expect Hatch to be fully recovered mentally and physically - are we forgetting how good he is ? He is past the two year mark on the knee and thats usually the recovery time

I thought a lot of ACE, (remember UNC?)...I liked his vision and power a LOT - I think many are under-rating him a LOT.

PJ provides some depth and has good vision/quickness and I LOVE his attitude.

And then add in the Frosh into the mix, and I definitely think we'll be ok here....

To have a smash mouth offense we'll need some depth in the OL and at least one running back that can be a star or the feature back. I'm not expecting another Hollings but somebody in the same mode.

South Georgia Jacket

I think we can have a running back by "committee" if necessary, with Hatch, Ace, PJ and the frosh...

as far as OL depth, barring injuries, I think we'll be ok...OL is usually the one position where substitutions occur less frequently than most other positions (although obviously we'd all like to have more depth here).

Look at the pro teams, after the cuts were made in #'s...OL is usually the least deep position on pro teams....IF you look at pro rosters, usually one sub is listed as the back-up for several different OL positions.

Besides, what other options are available to us (as far as scheme)? We're definitely not going to see a return to the diverse Fridge type offense or a big option package for the reasons stated.

IMO, key will be 1st down calls. If in the process of trying to establish a power running scheme we become predictable on 1st down, our level of competition will stuff it big time.
Fridge was and is successful with the running game because you never know when and where it's coming from...unlike the 2001 situation where even the Boy Scout ushers knew it was JB up the middle for a hard fought 2. THWG

I would like to respectfully disagree. I think our best athletes are at QB, Bilbo, and receivers. We will need to have a varied offence with emphasis on the passing game. We will not be able to slug it out with Auburn and FSU. Think about Ralph. Lots of movement before the snap and throwing the ball vertically which was an issue last year. I would like to see this but I think based on CG's offensive pattern in Miami we will try the power game unfortunately.

Nothing is 100% - so I don't believe we will be all run and no pass. But I honestly don't think we will be 50/50 unless Bilbo develops quicker than I think he will or we are behind a lot early. I think our best chance is something like a 60/40 run pass split - and hopefully we can pass when we want to and not just when we have to.

And just for competeness, the defense has to be able to hold folks down in order to allow us to run, control the clock, but not necessarily score a whole lot (read lots of punts and play field position). That doesn't happen and Bilbo better be really good or we are toast.

Beyond the obvious disapointment with the last 2 games, I think CG was thinking about this when he was focusing on toughness and physical play during spring practice. He sees a version of smashmouth (with misdirection, waggles, etc( coming.

Rush, I agree. Our only chance is to run, stop the run, and have a good kicking game.

Wow, I feel like a coach being interviewed!

Seriously, this is our only way to win more than we lose.

It's anybody's guess right now but I hope to see more shots going to the tight end and backs coming out of the backfield. Off tackle, misdirection through the two hole, toss in the flats. Trap, throw to Freddie, toss sweep. Throw in the flats, misdirection, over tackle. Rinse. Repeat. If we could work the throws into the flats and between the zones over the middle more often to the backs and tight ends not the WRs (they'd be stretching the field and putting a block on somebody)it might loosen up the defense enough to make the run and the bigger pass plays more effective. We should be strong enough to move some people around on offense but putting them on their heels a little makes them a lot easier to knock over. It's anybody's guess what Gailey, Geis & Co. have in mind but hopefully we won't set any new marks in punt attempts (or penalties!).

If you look at the stats, Gailey's teams have always been almost 50/50 run/pass in yardage. All coaches would love to be able to run the ball every play and move it 80 yds. But they all also know that isn't going to happen. I think we'll have a varied offensive attack that will lean towards the strengths we show on the field. If Bilbo develops into a QB that can make the reads, I expect to see us throw the ball a lot. With his arm and ability to stretch the field any coach would love to use that. But we have to be able to run the ball when we want to. That's something we haven't been very good at since about '00.

GoldRush, you are right on with regard to PJ. I don't post a lot, but I do when I feel the regulars are missing something. Everyone forgets his game against UVA, and everyone forgets him being recruited by highly regarded schools. And most of all, people neglect his ability and the confidence he has in it. I met him the night after the UVA game, and this guy has the right mindset. He will give us solid carries, bottom line.

Our offense this fall will try to make Bill Curry proud. I bet we will run the ball 75% of the time, and try to eat up clock. OL is one of our few strengths....if we only had Hollings back.
If you liked the Duke game last year, you are going to love 2003 GT Football!
BOO

Predominatly running is how Wake beat us last year so I wouldn't mind seeing our running game play ball control and march down the field. We never had the ball in that game. Total offensive plays Wake led 92-51, they rushed 60 times. It was a hot sunny day, so our D-Line just wore out (as did those of you in the East stands). We need to do the same to teams we play. We really needed that capability in our final two games. The good thing is, Chan is known for developing the running game.
That would at least give future running back recruits a reason to come to Tech. Good O-line, Good D-line, and good backs. I'd like to see one of our running backs get 357 yards someday, hopefully against UGAg.

bdg - would you rather run and win or pass and lose? Personally I'd rather win however we have to do it.

I agree, I could live without 51-48 games where we have an offensive fast break strategy and our "D" is a secondary consideration. I like to keep the "D" off the field and fresh. That's done by pounding the ball into the other team.

Back