Our quality loss to USF

That worthless tie to a bad vt team cost us a share of the championship

7c2edf78d914619dda45cab2872edcb2bf9850aca8aa0736395c2cb75687ce9d.jpg

The intent of my post wasn’t to rail against CPJ. I have tried to be measured in my discussion of his tenure since he retired. He did some great things while here and is one of the best x and o offensive coaches around. My comment was one about this weird fan loyalty to CPJ and his offense where obvious deficiencies are willing to be overlooked because sometimes the offense put up amazing stats.

The intent of my post wasn’t to rail against CPJ. I have tried to be measured in my discussion of his tenure since he retired. He did some great things while here and is one of the best x and o offensive coaches around. My comment was one about this weird fan loyalty to CPJ and his offense where obvious deficiencies are willing to be overlooked because sometimes the offense put up amazing stats.
I don't think anyone overlooked deficiencies. In fact, complaining about our defense and ST was pretty constant for the last 10 years. The ongoing argument stems from the fact that option haters inexplicably and illogically blame everything on the offensive scheme, when it was the strength of our team. Then when fans of the option blame everything on the defense, it comes across as defending CPJ. It's not defending at all - being unable to put together even a mediocre defense kept us from being a very good team and really damaged Johnson's legacy at GT. I'd say the only 3 years we had a respectable defense were 2008, 2009, and 2014 and we averaged 10.3 wins in those seasons. On other years we were quite average (or worse). Nobody's content with losing to USF, and blaming the defense or pointing out offensive success doesn't in any way absolve CPJ.

This is my biggest complaint of the CPJ era. We lose a game we have no business losing and there is always a defense of “but 700 yards of offense so I’ll give it a pass.”

No. A loss is a loss and CPJ was hired and employed as Head Football Coach. It was his job to field a complete team. If he was merely offensive coordinator I could see it, but he was HFC.

It was a bad loss to a bad team.[/QUOTE
This is my biggest complaint of the CPJ era. We lose a game we have no business losing and there is always a defense of “but 700 yards of offense so I’ll give it a pass.”

No. A loss is a loss and CPJ was hired and employed as Head Football Coach. It was his job to field a complete team. If he was merely offensive coordinator I could see it, but he was HFC.

It was a bad loss to a bad team.
my biggest complaint is people making öööö up so they can complain about the “others”. The closest to your complaint I ever remember from anyone was wtte “how the hell did we lose when we had 700 yards in offense? We clearly didn’t ge5 beat, we gave the game away”

The USF game (and the Tennessee & ‘13 uG game) illustrate the idea that there’s a difference between your regular Offense & Defense vs your ‘closing’ O & D.
In all games we piled up plenty of yardage to win, and the defense held ground long enough for us to build up a q4 lead. But in crunch time, the O couldn’t keep the ball & the D couldn’t make a stop.
I don’t really have a point, other then I really liked the CPJ era but am blindly excited for the future.

That worthless tie to a bad vt team cost us a share of the championship

Not to anyone who knows an iota about football. Colorado already had a loss and a tie that season plus the 5th down game.

And an inspiring dead QB story
And a controversial game against Stanford where the Colorado back scored without the ball crossing the goal line with time running out. Its the controversial game that year that nobody remembers. Except Stanford - they remember. Colorado should have lost that one too - Stanford held on goal line. I don't like the reviews they do these days - but with reviews, Colorado would have lost like 3 games that year and not even have been in the conversation.

And the way CPJ spoke about USF is that they were an exceptional team who we should not have scheduled.... This is why he is forced out.... plain and simple...
What I heard CPJ say on many occasions is that we should have won and that we beat ourselves. Some people seem to think that to praise our new coach, we have to criticize the one who's retiring. I disagree. I think CPJ did a great job, and I will miss him. I also hope that CGC will take us to an even higher level, and I look forward to witnessing his success. But, I'm sure there will be some frustrating losses under CGC, too. Just like UGA-Athens has had intensely frustrating losses under Fake-Punt-Kirby, in spite of the games that he has won. And just let him lose one more heart-breaker that keeps them from winning a national championship, and ole' Fake-Punt-Kirby will be looking for a new job, too.

I don't think anyone overlooked deficiencies. In fact, complaining about our defense and ST was pretty constant for the last 10 years. The ongoing argument stems from the fact that option haters inexplicably and illogically blame everything on the offensive scheme, when it was the strength of our team. Then when fans of the option blame everything on the defense, it comes across as defending CPJ. It's not defending at all - being unable to put together even a mediocre defense kept us from being a very good team and really damaged Johnson's legacy at GT. I'd say the only 3 years we had a respectable defense were 2008, 2009, and 2014 and we averaged 10.3 wins in those seasons. On other years we were quite average (or worse). Nobody's content with losing to USF, and blaming the defense or pointing out offensive success doesn't in any way absolve CPJ.
I would say that we were way below average on defense. During Gailey’s tenure we were woeful on offense due to his conservative approach but respectable on defense due to Tenuta’s aggressive scheme. During PJ’s tenure it was a complete reversal.

Back