Our three-headed OC

Beezoner

Varsity Lurker
Offensive coordinator by committee...

Chan calls the plays, but Nix coordinates and run and Geis the pass??????????????? Is this a recipe for disaster - as in "too many cooks in the kitchen?"

I think I'd rather have a good, strong, competent OC than everyone trying to do too many things at once on the staff.

It's not unheard of to split it that way. And it's not 3 headed, it's more that Chan wants to call the plays but doesn't want to try and be both HC and the traditional OC at the same time. As he said, he's tried that before and doesn't think it can work. So Nix and Geis will study film and develop the game plan as to what we think will work on their parts of the gameplan and the 3 of them will put it together. On game day I would expect one of them will be in the PB (probably Geis? since Nix will be coaching QBs is my guess) suggesting plays and Chan will make the final call.

It's different, but if it works I don't care. A side benefit is more experience for Nix who my be the longer term answer for the OC slot.

Originally posted by ncjacket:

It's different, but if it works I don't care.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket,

I couldn't agree more! I don't care how Coach Gailey organizes the coaching staff as long as it works. I certainly won't be critical before the season even reaches spring practice.

The only thing that matters to me at this point is CCG gets a free hand to do what he thinks is best.

As long as it works. On the surface I am not too excited about the coaching changes, with the exception of bo'b leaving. We will know if it works quickly and I for one am not willing to give it 2 years to find out. Hiring an asst. coach who is 56 means to me that his experience will enable him to give us immediate results. No OJT.

I think ncjacket is right on in how it is likely to work. There's no reason it can't be effective. One key will be getting the play in quickly to inexperienced QB's. THWG

A couple of examples that quickly come to mind are Oklahoma and NC State. State didn't have a defensive coordinator this season. Each postition coach and Amato made the game plan and Amato called the plays. Bob Stoops uses Mike Stoops and Brent Venables as co-defensive coordinators. Furthermore, he uses Chuck Long as OC/QB and Kevin Wilson as OL/Run Game Coordinator. That doesn't sound too different than what Chan's doing. I'm sure there are more examples of this in college football. In the NFL, Tampa Bay, Washington, Atlanta, Oakland, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Seattle, and Baltimore all use a similar set up. It appears that many former coordinators who become head coach are using this new approach to setting up a coaching staff.

Thanks for the examples, Indian.

I'm sure CCG thinks it will work or else he wouldn't do it.

I'll admit that the 3-headed OC worries me a little bit. There should be improvement over 2002 however. I think coaching chemistry will improve on offense and we'll see our scoring output increase.

Originally posted by AlaGold:
I don't really care about the structure but results have GOT to improve.I would be interested in knowing if CG is going to change the play terminology/designator decriptions.We supposedly kept BOB so we wouldn't have to change this to simplify the system in the changeover.Well, we saw how much that paid off.
-btw-if DBo couldn't comprehend the old how can he handle a new one.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't know if it was a matter if Bilbo could or couldn't comprehend anything. He's bright guy. I don't think that's an issue.

It's up to the coaches to teach him and up to him to learn. He's very capable. It's just a matter of him doing it.

Another thing.....we don't know what the differences are going to be between the old and new. I doubt anyone here knows much about the old in it's inner workings with the team. Doubt anyone here will know the new and it's inner workings. Good point that the qbs need to pick it up. That's a must!

I don't think Bilbo is half the dummy (for lack of better word) that some posters here and the hive have made him out to be.
wink.gif

I'll take a 'wait and see' position on all of this. In its inception it sounds a little convuluted but convultion can be creative if worked right. There's going to be a lot of learning going around for everyone here.

The coaches - new coaches, new offensive scheme and for some, new positions and new players.

The players - ditto.

Can it work, I hope so. Will it, is what everyone wants.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I'll take a 'wait and see' position on all of this. In its inception it sounds a little convuluted but convultion can be creative if worked right. There's going to be a lot of learning going around for everyone here.

The coaches - new coaches, new offensive scheme and for some, new positions and new players.

The players - ditto.
Excuse the spelling of 'convultion - bad slip in spelling - should be convulution!!
Can it work, I hope so. Will it, is what everyone wants.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

I think that the coaching chemistry is going to improve exponentially. This is going to translate into team chemistry, something that went away just before the Peach Bowl. Our guys lost faith in themselves because their faith was in Fridge. Now, we have some people who can generate faith in the coaches AND in the players.

Count me as optimistic. Gailey can probably call plays in his sleep better than a lot of coordinators and having Geis's experience up in the box (if that's what happens. I bet it does) communicating what he sees to Chan sounds like a MAJOR improvement. Then the added responsibility for Nix and making him the "official" QB coach. It all just seems incredibly positive to me. Even David Wilson on the field coaching ST. I think these changes are huge! A lot has transpired in the past couple of weeks, no?

I guess NCJacket was correct a few days ago about me not finding anything to be opitimistic on the way Coach Gailey is setting this up. Just do not see this working. A great number of posters will bring up the fact that MacWorter has not been a Coordinator as reason to justify him not being considered for our coach. Buddy Geis appears to have less justification. Coach Gailey and Geis have worked together but from what I have seen from reading some stories in the Cowboys webpage archives they did not have success together. And since Geis was a Cordinator at what Tulane and Duke many moons ago he has not exactly climbed the coaching ladder. Bringing in a Coordinator such as Chris Hatcher or the Boise State and Toledo QB/OC's would definitly brought some exictement and just as important legitimitsy to this current coaching staff in the eyes most Tech fans and the College Football world in general.

Bottom line stateline is that we could bring in any coordinator you could name and if that guy and Chan aren't on the same page it's not going to work. For better or worse this is Chan's team and he's going to run it his way. Also, Geis is the passing game coordinator from what I saw, not the OC. Nix is the running game coordinator. Chan is the man who will be calling plays.

FWIW I can understand you not being excited. I'm not exactly excited but I do think the changes we've seen are positive for the program. In truth, the only ones who need to be excited are the coaches and the team. If they translate that into performance the fans will get excited. We could have the most creative offensive mind in the world (maybe we do?) but if the players don't believe in the system and perform we end up with the last 2 years.

This is not meant to be a slam but why was Geis unemployed for the last two years? It would seem to me that an outstanding coach wouldn't have any problems getting work. I know that all of O'Leary's coaches landed jobs and some of them were improvements over what they had at Tech.
I am certainly hopeful that he will excel here and that our staff will have good chemistry, as obviously they didn't a year ago.
While I would have preferred that we had hired an
established OC it would be hard to find a young coach with better potential than young Nix. It just may be that Chan is aware of that and intends
to bring him along slowly before giving him complete control of the offense. This would make sense in that Patrick could also better understand
Chan's philosophy and the way he want this offense to run.Even if we haven't improved our staff
qualitatively it seems that we may now have a staff that is on the same page and that in itself is huge. If things don't go smoothly we can now be very certain about where our problems lie.

At least with CG calling plays, he'll appear to more into or interested in the game as opposed to standing down to one end of the line with his hands crossed and a look of wonder on his face!!!

Buck and others,

It appears that Geis retired to FL to spend time with his family during 2002. I read this in an article, and I can't remember for the life of me where it was. That article said that he's been spending his time with grandson. Now, I'm a student, but, judging from the time spent with my grandfather, that's time well spent. So we can't blame him for early retirement.

However, in 2001, he was an assistant to Jerry Jones in Dallas. That's probably something akin to semiretirement. Of course, this is all purely conjecture on my part, but it does make some logical sense. I hope this helps.

I think the article was in the Macon paper. IIRC he was an assistant to Jerry Jones in 2001, then took a year off to relax with his family. He had just gotten back in the job market and was making contacts with schools with openings.

nc, thanks for clearing that up. At first, I hated this setup, and even asked friends, "Is Chan trying to get fired?" Like many of you, I wanted Hatcher or Peterson. Well, after some further thought, I think this can work beautifully for the reasons hashed out here earlier.

Another positive is that this puts another veteran coach on staff. We really on have Chan, Wilson, Geis, Tenuta, and D'A as "veteran" coaches. They can have an incredible opportunity to pass their knowledge onto guys like Nix, Robinson, Modkins, Brick, and Spencer. Not only that, the chemistry on staff just went shot up. That's important. It'll be different from 2002, and hopefully, the players will notice, and the results will be differen too.

Back