"Out of top 50 players in Ga, we can only recruit

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
about 9 of them. Now we're down to 4 or 5". This is what AD Dave Braine just said on his pregame show. Don't know whether he was just validating Coach Gailey, but he sounded genuine. "As Coach Gailey said, it is a down year as far as academics go in Ga".
Perhaps this may alleviate some of the concern that most of the Tech community has had regarding recruiting the very good players in Ga. There does seem to be an abnormally large group that does not have qualifying SAT scores yet & an abnormally large group that has just barely made qualifying scores.
As much as we want them, this is a 'gamble' as far as GT goes. We've had pretty much a perfect record of getting all the players we've offered 'ships to into school over the past 5 or 6 yrs. We haven't had any surprises over the past few yrs come June or Aug. We haven't been 'hoping' during the summer that so-and-so can grad from hs or eventually get his 'test' score. We haven't been hoping that u-know-who can learn to study in prep school. It's a fine edge we're on as far as getting players that can win & do their rigorous schoolwork.
Here's a prayer that Gailey can get championship players to come to Ga Tech.

It looks like we will be working for the nerdy thirty percent in other states and the nerdy twenty in Georgia.

I think the academic excuse is just a smokescreen the staff is using while Gailey tries to rebuild our recruiting network. Coming from the pros, Gailey knew nobody in Georgia and with the new staff having little ties to the state, we are just going to have to start over.

I thought that the NCAA had just voted to eliminate the SAT minimum requirement...???

Does anybody know what the NCAA has done?
confused.gif

NCAA just deleted that a week or so ago. So let's say that up until a coupla wks ago, the players GT was recruiting was limited. Still the SAT is a pretty good indicator of how well students will do in college. Core grades are still being used by the NCAA & if these aren't acceptable to the GT entrance requirements (heavy math @ GT) then we are hampered in recruiting these players even without SAT scores.

Braine is lying through his teeth to cover for Gailey. No one with ANY common sense would believe that statement.
Recruiting is the life blood of every program, and our AA is saying that we are going to attempt to recruit with one arm tied behind our back and not recruit talent-rich Georgia. BS!
If we continue down this road for very long, we will be keeping Duke and WF company in the cellar. Clemson,Virginia, UNC, NC State,and Maryland are out-recruiting us now, FSU will continue to own us.
BOO

If there is no minimum anymore, then Ugag and Tennessee will be free to pick up players without any consideration of academics.

Gone will be the days in which Ugag's recruits were decimated by non-qualifying SAT scores. Basically college athletics will become pro sports which do not have students-athletes, just athletes.
mad.gif

We do not go by NCAA standards anyway.

For instance, Joe Burns was eligible at GT this year by NCAA standards...just not GT standards.

The same is true for new recruits. While we obviously lower our entrance standards for student-athletes...we do not put our bar at the NCAA' bar. That is why we never hear about our signee's not qualifying every June 4 months after signing day.

This is total BS{BOVINE SCATOLOGY] that they are selling us about players in Ga. not cutting it academically at Tech. There are several outstanding athletes in Ga. that I know for a fact that no one from Tech has contacted{at least that is what their H.S. coaches said} and all of them are committed to other BIG TIME programs and we won't ever sign any player from those two schools as long as these H.S. coaches are there.
While it is true that Ga. high schools rate low nationally, this has always been that way but that doesn't mean that the number is as low as they are presenting them to us. There are a hugh number of fine football players that can cut it in the classroom and the playing field if our staff would work this state.

By my count we are recruiting quite a few players in Ga and I believe we wil end up with at least 10 from Ga

I am just not buying that only 9 out of 50 can get in at GT. What gives? We have never had a problem getting in marginal student-athletes. Shawn Jones and Kenny Anderson both struggled to make 700 on the SAT. I believe they both made it on their last tries. We can accept anyone UGA does. Now, that being said, perhaps our curriculum limits who we can recruit. That I can believe, because we have such a limited number of degree programs, with no Sports Studies or Golf Course Management degrees. Not too many want to be an Engineer, Management or Computer Science major.

I believe the biggest standard that we require for athletes is that a kid passes Algebra I & II in high school with at least a "C". I don't think that is asking too much.

I wish I had the list of the Top 50 in Georgia and see what their SATs and Grade Point Averages are. I'm just not sure I can buy the "9 of 50".

Please remember that Braine got A LOT of crap from influential Tech alums, as well as the non-big-money givers, about O'Learys graduation rate.

Braine is definately lying. He is either lying about the number of kids in GA that meet our admision standards or he was lying a few weeks ago when he said that our admission standards have not changed. There is no way that only 9 kids in the state would meet our traditional admission standards for SA.

Originally posted by goldmember:
Braine is definately lying. He is either lying about the number of kids in GA that meet our admision standards or he was lying a few weeks ago when he said that our admission standards have not changed. There is no way that only 9 kids in the state would meet our traditional admission standards for SA.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I want to add a 3rd option - Braine doesn't know what he is talking about with regards to recruiting, admission standards or both.

The NCAA not only made that move re SAT scores, they changed the numbers on percent of degree reqmts completed over time: 40% must be completed in 2 yrs and 80% done by 4 yrs. Wonder how THAT will fly if our foes (or GT) load up on dum bass SAs.

I don't think Tech/Chan want SAs from GA to JUST "get in." If they can't make progress academically they'll quickly be gone. Does "Joe Burns" ring a bell with y'all?

I'm getting a bit fed up with many posters here who see a Chan conspiricy under every bush, particularly regarding recruiting in Ga. Many on here need to get a life and check back in around Feb and we'll see; but really you'll have to wait 3 or 4 more years after that to see what panned out.

Some of you sound like you actually believe you know what's going on.

Originally posted by Reckbert:
The NCAA not only made that move re SAT scores, they changed the numbers on percent of degree reqmts completed over time: 40% must be completed in 2 yrs and 80% done by 4 yrs. Wonder how THAT will fly if our foes (or GT) load up on dum bass SAs.

I don't think Tech/Chan want SAs from GA to JUST "get in." If they can't make progress academically they'll quickly be gone. Does "Joe Burns" ring a bell with y'all?

I'm getting a bit fed up with many posters here who see a Chan conspiricy under every bush, particularly regarding recruiting in Ga. Many on here need to get a life and check back in around Feb and we'll see; but really you'll have to wait 3 or 4 more years after that to see what panned out.

Some of you sound like you actually believe you know what's going on.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't have a conspiracy theory, I just think that we are getting our butt kicked in recruiting, especially in state. I also think raising our admission standards for SA would absolutely destroy our program while only marginally raising our grad rates. Our overall grad rates are very low based on our limited curriculum (sp?) and our 'weed out' mentality. If you want to raise grad rates, expand our curriculum so that our SA and general students can graduate. If you don't want to expand our curriculum, then deal with our low grad rates.

Gtimer is correct. We need to adjust to the needs of the students in this state, including SA's, because the taxpayers are footing the bill for this school. If DB is correct about 9/50 then GT needs to adjust, if he is not correct then we need coaches who can recruit at whatever the cost. We deserve better, should demand it, and go after it to beat ugag. THWG

If we're going to adjust class requirements for SAs so they can stay in school, and that's what we would have to do for all students if we start taking more borderline SAs, then we cheapen the value of the degree many of us have. I'm tired of kids not graduating. I don't want us to take a kid with an 850 SAT who only scored 400 in math and who has little or no chance of staying in school. If the coaches can determine through working with high school teachers etc., that the kid really has what it takes regardless of his score maybe, but if there isn't any evidence he can do the work I'd be happier if he went to GA. It's not fair to the kid, the team or Tech to take a kid just for his football talents if he really can't cut it in the classroom.

And if that puts us at a disadvantage so be it. I always thought you were supposed to be special to play/attend Tech anyway.

Special? I want the best football players the nation, Southeast, state, city can produce. I don't care if they major in rocket science or management. I don't care if they make a 1600 on their SAT or barely get in by the skin of their teeth. I want speed. I want height. I want toughness. I want killer instinct. I want winners who only understand winning.
I want the best football talent, so that Tech can be the best football team in the country every year until I die.
Let the coaches coach, and let the teachers and tutors teach. If the player flunks out, bring in someone else who looks just like him. It's not the coach's fault if the kid does not take advantage of a free education at a premiere institute with tutors hand feeding him. I know scores of Tech fans, and I don't know one who really gives a damn about graduation rates. The AJC will talk about it every year or so, its talked about then, and then mentally shelved. Beating Georgia IS talked about. Beating FSU IS talked about. Winning IS talked about.
This talk of academic compromises is insane! If we are going to field a team, we better be in it to win it!!! If Gailey can't cut it, someone else is ready to try.
BOO

Back