OUTSTANDING article from Augusta.........

2 Big Techsticles

Flats Noob
Georgia Tech, Clemson fans growing restless

Not meant to open up the 'debate' over CCG a week before kickoff but I found Mays' and Stewart's comments interesting. Never really thought of comparing Clemson's problems to ours.

As I stated in a thread a few days ago, I simply want to see a better:

1. effort from the players for 4 quarters

2. gameplan with the ability to make halftime adjustments from our coaches

3. adequate special teams play (Am I the only one DEEPLY concerned that this might be our worst year in this area, ever?)

and

4. everyone willing to handle adversity the first time our team is faced with it

Other reads of interest............................

Terps Eager To Begin Season Of High Expectations

Prince, 33, is UVa's new offensive coordinator

Freshmen make their mark on offensive line

Nervous Nights - Grobe frets that his offensive line won't dominate

STANFO RD TEST: Duke appears ready

FSU: The defense of old?
43482048296.jpg

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
Georgia Tech, Clemson fans growing restless

Not meant to open up the 'debate' over CCG a week before kickoff but I found Mays' and Stewart's comments interesting. Never really thought of comparing Clemson's problems to ours.

As I stated in a thread a few days ago, I simply want to see a better:

1. effort from the players for 4 quarters

2. gameplan with the ability to make halftime adjustments from our coaches

3. adequate special teams play (Am I the only one DEEPLY concerned that this might be our worst year in this area, ever?)

and

4. everyone willing to handle adversity the first time our team is faced with it
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">After listening to the call-in show yesterday, I feel pretty good about the special teams. With the caveat of good blocking, our return teams should be improved with Kenny Scott (KO) and J. Smith (punt) returning the ball.

Manget will be tough to replace but CCG said that Burnett was doing well in practice (just needs to perform the same with the additional pressure of 55K sets of eyes).

Dyke will also be tough to replace but Coach said Higgins has been hitting the ball pretty well.

Is there a line already set for Duke/UVA on the 30th???

What an upset that would be if Duke could shake up the ACC standings in week 1!

I don't see one, but they do have ugag laying 3 to us at BDS on Nov. 29.

2BIG,
No,you aren't the only one concerned about STs STARTING THIS WEEK.Most of the Tech folks think good kicking "just happens".As I stated before ,we are VERY overmatched in kicking against BYU and will be lucky if that doesn't play a HUGE role in the game.
Ironically, also do we see any obvious improvement for NEXT yr at this time?Scary.

great article 2Big. A whole lot of truth in that piece.

I agree with Stewart though, the program can be turned around rather quickly if we can get our numbers back up to 85 and keep bringing in the kind of kids that Gailey is signing.

Very good article to read. I really enjoyed the former star players perceptions & desires for their old colleges. That was 2 good ones to quote from GT. They sure left it on the field for our Yellow Jackets.

Too Big,

I appreciate your media links.

You brought up some very important topics including...

adequate special teams play (Am I the only one DEEPLY concerned that this might be our worst year in this area, ever?)

Last season was one of the worst special teams play I've have seen. The special teams coach is no longer here. And the staff has made a lot of changes on special teams personel. Will we be better? None of us knows for sure, but I don't think we could play much worse...knock on wood.

On the return teams we have major threats to return the ball for a touchdown now everytime one of them touches the ball. J. Smith will be awesome on punt returns and we have blinding speed with Davis and K. Smith on kickoff returns.

I have some concerns because all of the changes we made. But a lot of the changes will be for the better.

I also have some concerns with the kicking game but hopefully we can overcome our loses. I'm not sure of the stats but I don't think our field goal percentage from outside the 35 or 40 was that great last season.

Additionally we shouldn't have to return very many kicks this season
wink.gif

You also brought up...

everyone willing to handle adversity the first time our team is faced with it

Very important. That's one reason why the first game is soooo important. We will face adversity, but we will have a better chance to overcome it with early success.

Wow. Those guys are basically saying those last 2 games are a terrible omen and that he only gets this year to change things. I was surprised at their candor, but as former players they can get a pretty good vibe on what is going on. And quitting must be something that changes this year from last year. By the way, Gailey says he is ready to just coach football- dont forget about curfews for the team Chan, they didnt have any before the UGA game last year (fact).

Back