Painter and Geis

Indian Buzz

Varsity Lurker
Brian Murphy speculated that these were two convenient choices for Chan. I agree with the earlier thread that it does appear that the search may have moved beyond Nix.

My question is this: what could we expect to see from either of these guys? What are their qualities? Can they recruit? I seem to remember right after Chan was hired that many were hoping for Painter to get the OC job. If it's Geis, the staff would remain unchanged. If it's Painter, the staff could remain unchanged, or Nix could move to QB, Robinson to RB, and Painter at WR.

Thanks for the help. I'm too young to have any idea who these guys are.
grin.gif

Painter was OC '82-'86 under Curry. His offensive philosophy and play-calling were extremely conservative. I thought that the play calling was very predictable.

Did you watch any of NFL Europe last year? Painter was OC for Joe Ham and they seemed to throw just about every play. Just as players develop as they gain experience coaches change over time as they grow. Fridge was a much better OC during his second stint at Tech after spending a couple of years in the pros. I'm sure Painter has changed his philosophy as he's learned more about his trade. Not saying I know whether he would be considered conservative or not, just that you can count on him being different than in 86.

Back