Paul Johnson Raising the 2017 Standard at Georgia Tech in Atlanta

This post can't be for real !

BEIiBppCEAAoJ5G.jpg

I would agree that Paul Johnson has raised expectations and performance to a higher level than it was in the Gailey era - not by a huge amount, but some. The "good" seasons are better than those of his predecessor. Tech football is slightly more relevant in the national conversation. And, we have three wins over our state rival and a good record with the SEC in SEC country - important for the program's perception.

I would say that two others have contributed as much or more to the elevated perception and expectations - Bobby Ross and George O'Leary. Ross showed that Tech could be very successful in the post-SEC era - the first to truly demonstrate that in a quarter of a century. And, O'Leary put together three seasons in a row where we were strong - two Gator Bowls and a Peach Bowl, national rankings, high profile QB's and other stars.

Ever since 1990 you realize anything is possible. With the important exception of QB, we don't have a ton of unproven commodities. And on the assumption that they get better as they get older... anything is possible.

THIS. Anything is possible. I remember sitting in BDS in September 1989 at 0-3, riding a 16 game or so losing streak in the ACC. The stadium was half empty, I was ready to personally assault Bobby Ross, and Maryland was a big favorite. For the next 16 months, we were the best team in college football.

are there still people who öööö on cpj? i really don't get how anyone thinks we could do substantially better with another coach. he and his coaching philosophy meets the needs of the school. he's got pretty good character and keeps the kids in check. recruiting has some highlights ever few years. we win a decent amount and beat the dwags. what more can you realistically as for in this football climate? it's not like the absolute highest ask, a national championship, is something cpj could never do anyway.

Back