paul johnson

toe meets leather

Flats Noob
i am not sure he is the right choice but, i think he merits a look at. perhaps chris hatcher merits a look at. at this point with the program where it is , i would attempt to lure norm chow.

Well since you restarted a locked thread, I follow Navy up here in Maryland. Johnson is an option coach and always was. The fact that Navy threw the ball more ten years ago when he was the OC means nothing. They were still an option team.

As I stated before on other posts, in my opinion Johnson would win at Tech. But would he win more often? I doubt it. Navy hasn't beaten ND in 40 years and Johnson has had two stints with them.

The biggest issue against him is that you can say goodby to the top athletes coming to Tech. And in my opinion, after he's gone, we'd be a shell of a program and fighting out of a hole like Duke is today.

Regardless we have a winner already: Chan.

Mid, that's exactly what i said about top athlete's not coming. that is not a knock Paul but the truth i feel.

if we need a new coach, we need to take long look at successful coaches at a lower level. Someone like Paul Hewitt who has shown the ability to win and who can bring his staff with him. I can't believe that there are guys out there who would jump at a chance to coach in the new ACC, even with all the special circumstances at Tech.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that there are guys out there who would jump at a chance to coach in the new ACC, even with all the special circumstances at Tech.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant the opposite of this. You bet there are excellent coaches who would love to have the Tech job. Don't believe anyone who says differently.

Edsall is proving he can run a program from the ground up and look at his recruiting hes recruiting the south well for uconn.

[ QUOTE ]
You bet there are excellent coaches who would love to have the Tech job. Don't believe anyone who says differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 1 (ONE) That you KNOW DEFFINETLY will come to TECH.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You bet there are excellent coaches who would love to have the Tech job. Don't believe anyone who says differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 1 (ONE) That you KNOW DEFFINETLY will come to TECH.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, If I can't reel off the short list of candidates, that will be proof that no qualified coach wants to be at Tech?
Thanks for the compliment.

No but from that,I would have to think there is a VERY short list of those who would come and for a job that isn't open at this time.pocket we don't have a long list of
applicants GT is a very tough coaching job and a big risk even for a guy thats and up and comer thats had some success
early in his career. Recruiting at TECH is not an easy task, not the same as UCONN,Boise St or Navy.
My point was you said definitely and any body can come up with a WISH list.

RReck, this would ultimately come down to what is the definition of an excellent coach. If you think I am referring to the Bob Stoops, Pete Carrolls, and Nick Sabans, etc, I am not.

If CG can't put it together with the proper subordinate coaching staff that will allow him to be a general manager type HC (The Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Bobby Dodd, on and on model), I do hope that a replacement is named.

I am thinking about a young Steve Spurrier type that has not been interviewed in Sports Illustrated, but has his stuff together. Its all about recruiting, teaching, motivating, and making Tech a cool place to be at for the kids coming up that don't really know who Dodd, Bryant, and Dooley were.

Those are the types of guys I am saying are out there that would love to make Tech a passionate football program.

unfortunately, most of those type coaches, even if willing to come here, would use tech only as a steppingstone to something else and they might win early and do some exciting things, but they wouldn't build a program like we need.

we have a fine coach. he may need to make a few adjustments in his staff but he represents tech well and is doing things the right way. lets give the replacement talk a rest

[ QUOTE ]

we have a fine coach. he may need to make a few adjustments in his staff but he represents tech well and is doing things the right way. lets give the replacement talk a rest

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more on the quality of the man Chan Gailey. I also respect his wanting to stay loyal to the men he has hired on his staff.
However, it is not fair to this team, current, past or future to keep people in jobs when its not working. I am most likely wrong about this, but believe that Chan is loyal to a fault. He may think its his job to make everyone he hires/ recruits to be what he wanted them to be.
If so, he is a loveable person, but a man too stubborn to reasess the situation and make the necessary changes for the betterment of the program.

I like Chan Gailey, and I respect his knowledge of football and the importance he feels for the goodwill for others. I just want him to be able to make some hard decisions. If he could/would, I believe he could stay here a long time.

You're pissing in the wind you have nobody other than a somebody on a WISH list and for a job that isn't open.
The names you just posted are the same names that were used last time around.
I said nothing about who I thought was an excellent coach
or who was a young Spurrier and wether he would come to GT because I don't know and nither do you.

Your post was, there were DEFINITELY coaches that would come to TECH and you still have not named ONE that you KNOW will do that and you can't.
What do you called QUALIFIED?

Pocket, I can tell what I do know and that is the LONGER a coach is on the flats the MORE successful he is and our history tells us that.

[ QUOTE ]
You're pissing in the wind you have nobody other than a somebody on a WISH list and for a job that isn't open.
The names you just posted are the same names that were used last time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not post ONE name. Are you Dave Braine looking for possible names? Or are you just a dumbass that can't read?

How is describing what this program needs "pissing in the wind".

Are you the type of well rounded guy that gets a child to "pull your finger", and then laughs?

I try to answer your stupid question logically, and this is what I get? You got me, shame on me.

Why would anyone expect a bunch of fans on a message board to KNOW coaches who would come to Tech? That's almost as ridiculous as thinking that no one would want the job. There are over 100 D-1 schools out there. I have no idea how many D-1A or DII schools there are. If you don't think there are good coaches out there who would consider Tech a prime job, who can bring an established staff with them, you're dreaming. Just because I can't name them doesn't mena they don't exist.

Remember guys. We're talking about a D-I job, in the ACC, a BCS conference, with a $1M going rate for the HC and another mil for the staff, in ATL with some tradition of success. Yes we have some academic issues to deal with and we're in a tough competitive situation vis a vis the top ACC teams and ugag. But that's got to look good to some up and coming coaches. And if someone comes in and stays 5-6 years and has enough success to draw attention from someone else, it's better than not winning enough to have people talking about your coach IMO.

How about David Cutcliffe?

OC on Tennessee's National Champs, QB coach to both Manning's, Very well respected throughout SE, Good recruiter, Had a better record at Ole Miss than Tuberville

[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone expect a bunch of fans on a message board to KNOW coaches who would come to Tech?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't thats why I asked the dumb ass that made the statement the question.
Why are we debating the replacement of the coach we have in the middle of the season before anything has been decided.
I belive it's bad for GT.

CCG will more than likely be our coach untill the end of the season unless he totally loses control of the program
so what good does this debate have other than to continue to devide the fan base, hurt the football program and the recruiting effort.
IMO there there are very few who will come under the present circumstance but with that said I don't want you to think that I would stand behind any coach that I did not feel was in the best instrest of GT.

We have a coach at GT, the season is not over and IMO it is very wrong for us to be debating who his succesor should be in a public fourm before he has been dismissed.

That's just one dumbass's opinion.

Back