People forget

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
During the 6 game bowl streak that Tech had back in the 50's was that there were only 5 bowls. Tech went to the Cotton, Sugar, Orange and Gator. How many bowls now something like 20? So to go to the 6 straight was much harder than to get say 10 or so now when you can go with (until this year) a 6 and 5 record and you include the minor bowls that are everywhere.

shocked.gif

I agree, way too many bowls. I think there are 28 this year. That means that almost half(56 of 117) of Division 1-A teams will go to a bowl this year.

I agree there are too many bowls, but it's still better to get one than to be one of the "other" teams that don't.

And old foggy, if your point was to call attention to how good Tech was in the 50's I agree.

TECH had good teams in the past that didn't go bowling. Either weren't offered or declined.

That was not my point! My point was there are teams that should be staying home and looking (maybe including us) for recruits to turn their programs around. Don't get me wrong I'm very pleased that we are in a bowl, but the bowls back in those days were more meaningful than a bowl today. It also does bring in a few buck and does get the teams involved national exposure.

Oldfoggy I agree, but I can't help feeling good about seeing the Jackets go out to CA and kick some Bulldog butt and end the season on a Higher note then staying home and living with the 51-7 disaster...GO JACKETS

Old foggy, I think I agree with you.

What I get from you is " be happy with the fact we are going bowling again, but please do not compare this bowl run to the one in the 50's".

To be left out of a bowl today is a complete embarressment. I am happy that we went to Seattle last year, and am happy we are invited anywhere this year.

To your point, I believe the last "old bowl" team we had was the 2000 Gator Bowl team. Or am I too generous with that? Your comments please.

Tech's bowl run in the 50's is second to no ones. Them boys don't have to take a backseat to no one because they played and beat some of the best of the era.I would have to look it up but it would be interesting to find how many of Tech's players are now in the College Football Hall of Fame.

I guess that I'm not very eloquent with what I'm trying to say! To compare todays bowl run with anything that was done is the past is like comparing apples to oranges. I agree that to be left out is an embarassement. But there are too many bowls and too many second rate teams playing today. Teams that played many years ago can't be compared to todays teams. Probably even this team could have put a whipping on the teams of the 50's. Yes Tech played the best and whipped the best back in the 50's, with the tie ins and a lot of lower tier bowls we just seem to be spinning our wheels it's time to get the show on the road and end up in one of the major bowls.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
I would have to look it up but it would be interesting to find how many of Tech's players are now in the College Football Hall of Fame.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bill Alexander-C
Maxie Baughan
Ray Beck
Bobby Davis-C/P
Bobby Dodd
Bill Fincher
Buck Flowers
Joe Guyon
John Heisman-C
George Morris
Larry Morris
Peter Pund
Everett Strupper
Randy Rhino

Old Foggy: I sure would like to see these 300 pounders of today play both ways like the boys of the 50's!

Old Foggy: I sure would like to see these 300 pounders of today play both ways like the boys of the 50's!

I totally agree...wouldn't we all love to be in the top 5 of the BCS and headed to a major bowl...maybe thing will come together and bring that to reality

Back