Pep Rallies For Football

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
So much of college football is the fan participation and spirit. I have never been able to understand why Tech does not have more Pep Rallies the night before a home game. If I remember correctly the last one I went to was 1998 for FSU. Lots of people turned out, were loud, got excited and brought that level of excitement to the game itself. It's a great tradition.

Would love to see more of that kind of thing for Tech - Texas AM gets together on Friday nights and has 50,000 people show up to practice there cheers for the next day's home game! That's unbelievable. Fan involvement on this level is so pertinent to the college game. I wish GTAA would do more things to get fans involved like this.

Football season is so short, doing these kinds of things not only is beneficial to your team but adds more excitement to the football weekend!
drinking.gif

I'm with you. Would love to see some kind of tradition started and done right to build excitement.

Before we play Aub would be a great time to start such a tradition. Not just a hit and miss, but keep it going.

Think it could help build excitement and our fan base while generating some spirit as you say on game day.

Go Jackets!

GT already has this. It's called Yellow Jacket Alley. Two and a half hours before kick-off.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by FHstinger:
GT already has this. It's called Yellow Jacket Alley.
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yellow Jacket Alley is awesome. That's a great tradition that most schools have for their teams.

Am very appreciative of the efforts all around from Yellow Jacket Alley. It's grown a great deal. I personally think it's awesome and will grow to be even better. There are groups that have gone through major expense and time to make that what it is.

Now having a pregame pep rally is another thing all together! I'd love to have those Friday nights before games. You're not going to just start it and be like FL or Texas A&M, but believe that could be a great thing for Georgia Tech Football.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
I'm with you. Would love to see some kind of tradition started and done right to build excitement.

Before we play Aub would be a great time to start such a tradition. Not just a hit and miss, but keep it going.

Think it could help build excitement and our fan base while generating some spirit as you say on game day.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great idea. Auburn always had a "Wreck Tech" parade prior to the game, a tradition that died when the series ended. I can't think of a better game to start a pep rally tradition.

Originally posted by Downeastjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTTerrific:

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great idea. Auburn always had a "Wreck Tech" parade prior to the game, a tradition that died when the series ended. I can't think of a better game to start a pep rally tradition.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are correct - YJA is not a Pep Rally and I remember Auburn's "Wreck Tech" parade as well. School spirit is what I'm talking about! Need to have more things before home games to bring that spirit and togetherness into the stadium on game day. That's the tradition I would like to see here. Tech has some great football history, this needs to be a part of it.

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
How would one go about getting something like this started? In other words, who would we contact by e-mail or phone or letter???

GREAT idea btw!!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This will have to be something a GT Club, like The Swarm or others, plays a part in with the GTAA. Will have to be a group effort to get started with support. There have been some pep rallies to start the season off at Russ Chandler. To be honest I'm not sure who took the bull by the horns to get them going. They were spear headed by school groups I believe.

I'm not saying the Swarm should try to get GTAA to do this as a group effort to get everyone envolved, but will take a group with significant people with resorces to get it started right I believe.

Sounds like a great idea. I don't live down there but feel like it would be a big plus. Where would you have it? Sounds like tons of fun! Would prolly help generate interest as well. I like it!

How would one go about getting something like this started? In other words, who would we contact by e-mail or phone or letter???

GREAT idea btw!!

I don't know, but it may be wise to stay away from Texas A&M for any suggestions.

Don't they build bonfires?

wink.gif

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:

GREAT idea btw!!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bleedgold and I have talked about this a lot over the last 3 years - I don't know if it's someone in Marketing or the AA. We have even talked about starting a "fan committee" to get some things like this going and continued. I have no problem communicating to whoever I need to to get this rolling. We are tradition and spirit, we should have something special at Tech during football season. Any suggestions from other fans would be appreciated.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
I don't know, but it may be wise to stay away from Texas A&M for any suggestions.

Don't they build bonfires?

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The bonfire was one of the things they did, obviously after what happened a few years ago they have stopped. But, they also bring fans into the stadium the night before and practice their cheers and whatever else they are planning for that Saturday's home game.

There was a show on ESPN last year about traditions like this throughout the country. They chronicled Wisconsin "5th Quarter" and a tradition they have after each game.

Maybe have "theme" Pep Rallies where fans and students bring signs and banners and dress up according to the theme for that game. Short speeches by the coaches and players, the band marching down Bobby Dowd Way and entering the stadium for the Rally. Maybe have a contest for the, "Best rendition of Up With the White and Gold, and Ramblin Wreck" with some prizes from the local retailers, or getting to ride in the Wreck for that Saturday's game!

I could think of a lot of things and can't understand why we don't have anyone internally coming up with something!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:

GREAT idea btw!!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This will have to be something a GT Club, like The Swarm or others, plays a part in with the GTAA. Will have to be a group effort to get started with support. There have been some pep rallies to start the season off at Russ Chandler. To be honest I'm not sure who took the bull by the horns to get them going. They were spear headed by school groups I believe.

I'm not saying the Swarm should try to get GTAA to do this as a group effort to get everyone envolved, but will take a group with significant people with resorces to get it started right I believe.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTT: Agree on all of this but I really believe fans like us can get something in motion. I thought if enough fans answered this thread I would print it and send letter or try to meet with Dave Braine (with Bleedgold's help) and anyone else that would like to be an outside part.
Show them our SPIRIT and what we the fans believe can be nothing but a positive for all involved.

We would definitely need the support of GT clubs, alumni, swarm, Marketing and I can't believe they wouldn't do something to enhance spirit and support and help build a valuable tradition at GT!
If we are willing to work to make this happen (and I am) I can't believe the rest of the internal Tech community would jump at the chance.

As you said in your earlier post - let's start with Auburn! In order to get this rolling it has to develop now to be ready for the season. You and so many posters on this board can be an integral part of this - GT can do this, we can do this and make it a happening!

I even thought about recruiting as well. Recruits visit for weekends or game day with their families - have the be a part of the Rallies, show them our spirit and let them know we know about them! There are sooo many good things that can come for these rallies!

Originally posted by gnats 67:
Sounds like a great idea. I don't live down there but feel like it would be a big plus. Where would you have it? Sounds like tons of fun! Would prolly help generate interest as well. I like it!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">gnats-Bleedgold needs to chime in here because he has some great ideas about where it would take place and why. He's a marketing manager by profession and really is very creative and organized! He will post very soon on his ideas!

Originally posted by mustard:
This idea is way overdue. GT football needs to have an emphasis on the fans and the game which builds toward a climax. The climax is the game itself. The excitement would bring fans to the game and create a sense of ownership of the team's preparation and performance. It would help us to PARTICIPATE. And a side advantage would be that it might loosen our vocal chords for the game itself.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks Mustard for giving your thoughts!! Really want more Stingtalkers to chime in with their ideas and thoughts - would really like to present something to Tech and start some processes as we go into the spring. Would love to call it BUZZRALLY OR SOMEONE COULD GIVE IT A NAME. Hope we can get everyone on board!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Wrecked:
My initial reaction to this was while it is a nice idea, it will never work. Tech fans are too apathetic. However, upon some reflection I think it could fly provided some things were done.

1. Only do one per year and make it a big game. This year Auburn is perfect. If you did more than one, I don't think you could generate attendance. I mean who would miss high school games on a Friday night to drive downtown for a Tech pep rally.

2. You have to have mandatory student involvment. Give student organizations and Greeks choice seats (whatever happened to flashcards) to the game for participating. Nothing would be worse than to thave no students show up.

3. Have some type of media highlight film or something to get the crowd going along with the band and cheerleaders. Tech should have this anyway to play before the game.

It could work, but it would have to be organized within the AA to get all the parties involved.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for your ideas and thoughts - your idea of big games is good - Auburn, Homecoming, Georgia!!
The film is excellent!!!

Originally posted by mustard:
This idea is way overdue. GT football needs to have an emphasis on the fans and the game which builds toward a climax. The climax is the game itself. The excitement would bring fans to the game and create a sense of ownership of the team's preparation and performance. It would help us to PARTICIPATE. And a side advantage would be that it might loosen our vocal chords for the game itself.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks Mustard for giving your thoughts!! Really want more Stingtalkers to chime in with their ideas and thoughts - would really like to present something to Tech and start some processes as we go into the spring. Would love to call it BUZZRALLY OR SOMEONE COULD GIVE IT A NAME. Hope we can get everyone on board!!
smile.gif

Pep rallies are fine but Friday night is a LARGE high school football night for a lot of adults in Georgia and I would expect Texas too. For the college students and hard core tailgaters a Friday night pep rally would be fine, but, for a large proportion of the fan base, we'll be watching high school football on Friday night...

drinking.gif
Ok, let me get in here a little...this is a GREAT subject and one that needs to be taken seriously. Tech is unique being in such a large city such as Atlanta. And now with the enlarged BDS, and the huge new North end seats...what an opportunity to at LEAST do one large pep rally starting with the Auburn game and utilzing the North end zone seats facing the city of Atlanta, letting all of us see how those seats are, and fill them. To say we can't get 15,000 in those seats is defeatism. Dang. We can do it. Get some sponsors, get the GT alum clubs involved, the STUDENTS certainly, door prizes, themes, fire works, the wreck, the marching band...it just needs to be organized and I along with MsTechAnalysis certainly will put our best foot forward on this with help from all of you, your contacts and with the go ahead from Braine and GTAA. The North end zone seats would be ideal in that it creates a bowl affect and the cityscape would be outstanding. And if we get the crowd there, perhaps some would find those same seats to their likeing and may purchase some addtional season tix...hey, it could happen! I do know that I will dontate my time and get some sponsor money myself if we all think and believe that this could become a new Tech tradition. I love the idea and Ms. Tech Analysis and I have done similar things "many" years ago (and we were good)! Your thoughts?
blue.gif

One or two would be a good idea (first home game, big game, or the redneck nation game). I thank RW1 is right, high school football is to big to do this every game. And remember Texas A&M is in the middle of nowhere. Two and a half hours from the nearest major city. I thank ESPN did one on T A&M too. One kid said it was the only thing to do. They had nowhere else to go. They get about 108 traditions according to Cathedrals of College Football by Michael & Joseph Irwin. Maybe the best one at A&M is the KISSING tradition. Score a TD: KISS. Get a First Down: KISS. WHEN A&M SCORES: EVERYBODY SCORES (just playing). Be fun to take a date.

But this is a good idea. A great way to teach the young fans about TECH and the tradition we do have now. I must have answered 50+ questions from my seven year old at her first game. She would ask “why do we do this and why do we do that?” This would give them the chance to learn more about Tech and maybe teach us a thing or two. I like it and hope it would work.

Back