Pep Rallies For Football

Oh yeah MsTech. I'm with you. We can make a difference. I'm glad you're putting wheels in motion.

This idea is way overdue. GT football needs to have an emphasis on the fans and the game which builds toward a climax. The climax is the game itself. The excitement would bring fans to the game and create a sense of ownership of the team's preparation and performance. It would help us to PARTICIPATE. And a side advantage would be that it might loosen our vocal chords for the game itself.

Hadn't thought of the HS football element. That would be a major consideration. I'd suggest making a tradition of having a "rally" of some kind before every game and a regular schedule of events so folks could plan accordingly, organized by a small commitee of volunteer TECHnuts. Assumedly, with the school's complete endorsement, of course.

1. Major events - season opener, homecoming, Ugay, etc. Larger scale doings maybe at HGF@BDS
with the full regalia.

2. Home games - all other home games, more of a casual, "tailgate" atmosphere. Possibly at one of the popular TGing spots.

3. Away games - similar to #2 but with the understanding that many would be on the road. Maybe a little more of a casually supervised "drop-in" between such and such hours affair.

Some kind of regularly scheduled congregation for those that choose to participate. If it's not a big deal, no big deal, but it'd be there for whoever, students, fanatics, what have you, to drop by.

After it's all discussed you could, in theory, have a nickel a dozen newsletter/yokel association kind of thing and maybe even a Yahoo msg board -web page- (they're free) to keep everyone abreast.

In short, it could be a standing tradition that any fan could look forward to at anytime, knowing that something's going on somewhere every week, even if it's just chips and dip. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a large scale production (read - potential waste of time and effort) every week.

I'll make a Yahoo example site later (it's late) for mulling purposes and provide the link. They're disposable and relatively simple.

My initial reaction to this was while it is a nice idea, it will never work. Tech fans are too apathetic. However, upon some reflection I think it could fly provided some things were done.

1. Only do one per year and make it a big game. This year Auburn is perfect. If you did more than one, I don't think you could generate attendance. I mean who would miss high school games on a Friday night to drive downtown for a Tech pep rally.

2. You have to have mandatory student involvment. Give student organizations and Greeks choice seats (whatever happened to flashcards) to the game for participating. Nothing would be worse than to thave no students show up.

3. Have some type of media highlight film or something to get the crowd going along with the band and cheerleaders. Tech should have this anyway to play before the game.

It could work, but it would have to be organized within the AA to get all the parties involved.

Wading in here, if we were to start something like this it should be organized and run by the student body (better supervised than Texas A&M). I doubt we would get approval for a bonfire, this isn’t College Station.

Starting from ground zero, I would think one or two max per year to begin with; perhaps the opening home game or the UGA game.

Somehow, we've got to bring back the RATS. Even if every frat, the band, and every organization had the frosh somehow wanting to don the beanies on Sat football games - perhaps by lining Yellow Jacket Alley they get out of housecleaning duty? we could get a little organized enthusiasm from the student body. If they turn out, others would follow. One of the great traditions that died with "on field security" was the RAT tunnel the Ramblin Wreck drove through. Of course, one of the last years of the tunnel, Auburn's team also ran through during the criss cross. Ah, the days of true rivalry and pagentry. Pity to think what would have happened to flagboy during those days. Anyway, the rally idea is good one, but without total student participation you can't do it. Let's hope they do.

Here's a free tool that could be helpful. You need a yahoo acct (free and painless) to post or add to but not to view. Just food for thought.

-Buzz Rally-

You can't manufacture excitement, and sad to say, this is what you would have to do in order to make this successful at TECH.

The successful college"pep rallys" that I have seen were done to organize an already "lit" crowd the night before the game. The rallies were there to bring all the rowdies to one place, and they enticed them there with good bands, and the chance to get l^#d.

To try to create excitement for a large (30k plus) crowd in our case would be very difficult.
Without the energy there on its own, I am afraid it would go over like a telemarketing call at supper.

Sad but true,imo.

I'm bringing this back up to the top of the board because I wanted to thank everyone for their positive responses and ideas. You need to keep the ideas coming because there were many good ones here we can use.

We have tradition at Tech with The Wreck, The Wreck Parade this needs to be added to what exists. Apathy is not acceptable - School Spirit is and that's what this is all about! Sometimes it takes people (fans) like ourselves to get the creative juices going internally. We are why there is any team at Tech, the people in the stands. Getting some added momentum to some of the home games and add other insentive to other games is a must here!!

I can't imagaine the students not being a BIG PART of this. The Rat suggestion was very good. gnats67 has some very good ideas. Let's keep them coming because Bleedgold and I would like to help get these thoughts and ideas to GTAA and see where it can go!

It is a fact that I can and do get excited about GT concerning anything. I am for trying something. I would like to see the GTAA see what they can do to get community involvement. Is GT a valuable asset to Atlanta? You better believe it! Well then lets find a way for the community to show its appreciation.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Somehow, we've got to bring back the RATS. Even if every frat, the band, and every organization had the frosh somehow wanting to don the beanies on Sat football games - perhaps by lining Yellow Jacket Alley they get out of housecleaning duty? we could get a little organized enthusiasm from the student body. If they turn out, others would follow. One of the great traditions that died with "on field security" was the RAT tunnel the Ramblin Wreck drove through. Of course, one of the last years of the tunnel, Auburn's team also ran through during the criss cross. Ah, the days of true rivalry and pagentry. Pity to think what would have happened to flagboy during those days. Anyway, the rally idea is good one, but without total student participation you can't do it. Let's hope they do.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">FW: You are right on. I do believe students would be involved if there were something to be involved with. The last pep rally I went to was not planned - it just happened the week of the FSU game in '98 - thousands of people showed up at 6:30p on Friday night - students showed up big time.

If these things are planned for whatever games and you add some of the ideas posted here and other ideas from the GT internal family these buzzrallies could be a happening everyone wants to attend and get excited about - just as much as the game itself. Why not Auburn, Homecomeing and UGAG this year. It has to start somewhere and believe we can try to get something going.

Got a lot of good positives here. If anyone wants to work on this with Bleedgold and I and lives in Atlanta area - please let us know.

Originally posted by luckyjacket:
You can't manufacture excitement, and sad to say, this is what you would have to do in order to make this successful at TECH.

The successful college"pep rallys" that I have seen were done to organize an already "lit" crowd the night before the game. The rallies were there to bring all the rowdies to one place, and they enticed them there with good bands, and the chance to get l^#d.

To try to create excitement for a large (30k plus) crowd in our case would be very difficult.
Without the energy there on its own, I am afraid it would go over like a telemarketing call at supper.

Sad but true,imo.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Can understand your thoughts but have to disagree with getting excited about BIG GAMES. 2-3 times a year as a Happening - our fans CAN GET EXCITED and they do! School spirit and tradition - can make this happen for all involved. Energy has to be generated and maintained, this kind of happening consistently each year is the start. Never say Never!

Ok, I'm bringing this topic back up to the top of the board in hopes that other Stingtalkers might want to join Bleedgold and I and present something that incorporates the responses to this post to our Athletic Director.

Hopefully, in the next few weeks we can put something together and present it and see where it takes us. If you are interested, please send me a "Private Email" through the board with your interest and way to contact you.

It's a start of what I hope is something we as fans can make happen and all be a part of!!

Go Jackets!!
blue.gif

Ms Tech Analysis and I would be more than happy to contact both Braine and the powers that be at GTAA with our collective thoughts on this matter. Please give us as much input and suggestions that you can. We have lots of ideas, but we can never have enough input and support and hopefully, we can spearhead a project that culminates in a success and perhaps even a new Tech tradiiton! This can be fun, could be a lot of work, but hey, this is TECH, and it can be done. This is all on a power positive approach and we will constantly let you know what we hear and/or find out as soon as we know it ourselves. Certaily, the students will need to be involved, but it is our hope that the GT Alum associations, the GTAA, and each Tech fan that wants to be involved gets a voice on this Buzzrally tradtion (for lack of a better name at this point). Lets' GO TECH!

Last year we went to Buzz Bash, the party at the stadium the night before the Homecoming game. No football team/coaches, but the cheerleaders, Buzz and the band performed, along with lots of other stuff - live music, fireworks. It's probably the closest thing we have to a pep rally. Very cool. I think it's an annual thing now.

Originally posted by BLEEDGOLD:

Ms Tech Analysis and I would be more than happy to contact both Braine and the powers that be at GTAA with our collective thoughts on this matter. Please give us as much input and suggestions that you can. We have lots of ideas, but we can never have enough input and support and hopefully, we can spearhead a project that culminates in a success and perhaps even a new Tech tradiiton! This can be fun, could be a lot of work, but hey, this is TECH, and it can be done. This is all on a power positive approach and we will constantly let you know what we hear and/or find out as soon as we know it ourselves. Certaily, the students will need to be involved, but it is our hope that the GT Alum associations, the GTAA, and each Tech fan that wants to be involved gets a voice on this Buzzrally tradtion (for lack of a better name at this point). Lets' GO TECH!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay friend, I'm ready!!! Come on Tech fans let's get this thing rolling!!!

Jackets Rule!!!

I'm bringing this back up to the top because Bleedgold and I want to put something together and try to present to Dave Braine concerning this topic. If we can make something happen we will need help from other fans.

If you are interested in volunteering should we be able to get something started, please email either Bleedgold or I through this board.

Thanks.

Back