Personally, can't hardly wait to see Hollings again

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, can\'t hardly wait to see Hollings again

It's great that Sampson & Daniels are making strides to becoming better RBs. It appears they will get field time this season & will be better than they were in '02. It's great to have an explosive back coming in from HS & perhaps he can contribute. It's sad that Eziemefe is slightly wounded & not making the strides that Micheal & PJ are & sad that Hatch isn't really coming back to where he was. Will put The Insiders'& GT alum Ronnie Bass' piece on the RBs at bottom.
That's all pretty good news, but to me, what will make (& maybe the only thing that can make) this a SPECIAL season is TONY HOLLINGS. I haven't seen bursts of desire & speed like that @ GT in 25 yrs. He was some kind of special in '02. I can't wait to see it again.
Hollings brings that deminsion that the other team can't prepare for: the ability to hit it all the way on ANY play. TH was worth the money to see him run. That ability to get 1 step & be gone from anywhere is uncoachable, ya plain gotta have it or ya don't. That kind of speed makes the O-line try so very hard to get him a seam & watch as he then gets the yds to make the entire O look VERY GOOD. They'll bust their butts for a back like this.
Mark these words; Tony Hollings will be BETTER than EVER come Sept. He's perfect for Gailey's O plan & may very well lead the country in rushing in '03. If Hollings plays in all 11 games, he will win the Heisman Trophy! This is something that, evidently, no one but me is on. Hollings for Heisman!!!

Insiders Ronnie Bass grades GT's RBs

Re: Personally, can\'t hardly wait to see Hollings again

It is so hard to tell about injuries. I think you have to go with the people you have healthy, not depend on the injured returning, and then count it as gravy if they can return to their former production.

Of course, it would be nice, and we all hope all the injured return at full strenght and mentally.

smile.gif

I HOPE he is 100%, however statistically the odds are probably against him.

Hopefully given the fact that last years success was ALSO against the odds I hope he can continue his good fortune.

NO MATTER how successful our running game is our hopes will rise or fall depending on our QB performing adequately.

Agree across all fonts. Tony Hollings return to Heisman form would probably vault us into a championship season but I don't see that as being realistic. Ultimately, it's Tony's game. I'm pulling for him to be ready to contribute. God bless him. One of the best efforts I've ever seen being a TECH fan for 30 years but only Coach Gailey and staff will be able to decide how heavily we can rely on Tony this season. Unless he's lights out this Summer, I'd like to see him redshirted so he can fully recooperate.

Nice post ACE! I have seen Tech running backs for 46 years and Tony is the best had ever seen at Tech!! Cunningham was very exciting, Ivory had it all, Sims was a bull, Snow was very good,Volkert ave over 7 yd per rush, Williamson the little Indian was good, then there was Lenens, Bell, Rotenberry, and the list goes on, but none of em could take to the house like Tony!!! He is as good as it gets! True statement when you can say he's liable to score anytime he touches the ball. Last year until his injury we were witnessing the greatest performance ever put on by a Jacket!! He would have certainly been in contention for the Heisman. When he got the ball you just had to standup. I am thankful for the priviledge of seeing such a wonderful athlete perform! There has only been 2 backs do the things he did: a man named Payton and a man named Sanders. I have not EVER seen anyone else that could in one step excelerate, change direction, have field vision, instinct, and stength, yes he had it all. I am glad to get that report on his condition. Lets also hope he has the mental capacity to completely overcome it. He is truly a special athlete as well as person. Here to ya Tony-the best of everything and thanks for being a Jacket!!!

If tony can return 100% this will take a lots of pressure off our young QB and make him more effective. This would be a huge bonus to have a healthy TH.

Techrod, you left out Leon Hardeman and Bill Teas.

wink.gif

1956 is when I first remember how the rbs. actually ran. Teas and Hardeman were 2 of my favorite players (#9 @ #11), but I don't really remember their actual exploits on the field except through film.

And don't forget Ramblin' Robert Lavette! He was really special.

As far as Tony goes, I believe we should be VERY cautious about putting him back in the lineup and I'm sure our coaching staff will do so. We want him back ONLY if he can be back and his doctors say so and then ONLY if he's close to or at his former ability level.

Our prayers are with ya' Tony!!

Talking about good to great running back don't forget little Jimmy Thompson. He came to Tech with Frank Christy in the 50's.

Back