Phil Steele

Bob Benson

Trump Train on these Tools
Ban Hammer'd
We don't even rank in his top 50. This guy never gives us much credit. That said, I do like his overall publication. LOADED with stats and recruiting.

Who else thinks we always get negative preseason pub?

I kinda like it.

Personally, I'd love to see John Madden and Lee Corso write one of these prediction/analysis pieces.

I can see it now...Georgia Tech: key to them having a winning season is to outscore their opposition more often than not.

We went 3-9 last year.

Minor detail.

For what it's worth, any sort of computer ranking had us finishing in the top 50 last year. We had a brutal schedule and all close games except FSU broke against us.

We don't even rank in his top 50. This guy never gives us much credit. That said, I do like his overall publication. LOADED with stats and recruiting.

Who else thinks we always get negative preseason pub?

I kinda like it.

Just a few years ago Steele picked GT to play Ohio State in the championship game, so he has shown GT some love. Until GT plays like .500 team again then they won't get much attention.

Didn't he also pick us to get blown out in the Orange Bowl against Missy State?

GT teams are unprojectable (it's a word now). We'll find out this fall if the team can stay healthy, if the offensive line can improve, if we can develop a pass rush, and if the skill positions can progress.

College football predictions are like a**holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

Phil Steele was actually on 92.9 a week or two ago and said some nice things about Tech. Said we'll do better than anyone thinks we will (including himself).

Phil Steele was actually on 92.9 a week or two ago and said some nice things about Tech. Said we'll do better than anyone thinks we will (including himself).
Yeah, 6-6. I'm pumped. Last year, Navy had a good season using smaller, slower linemen while we couldn't block anyone.

He's always going to predict each team's record multiple times with outcomes ranging the full gamut, and then claim he was the only one who predicted it. He has done this ever since he started.

He's a stat collector, but if he was worth a damn at predicting win totals, he'd be working in Vegas as a handicapper, or at least be a pro gambler.

Yeah, 6-6. I'm pumped. Last year, Navy had a good season using smaller, slower linemen while we couldn't block anyone.

Yeah, cuz Navy played such an amazing schedule.

They had 20 senior starters who seek discipline at an academy and they play crappy teams.

"But ehrmehrgehrd, they beat Pitt in the berhl gerhm!!!"

He never picked tech osu in the natty unless this was 1999 or 2001.

Yeah, cuz Navy played such an amazing schedule.

They had 20 senior starters who seek discipline at an academy and they play crappy teams.

"But ehrmehrgehrd, they beat Pitt in the berhl gerhm!!!"

Yes...they beat Pitt while having much lower rated recruits at every position...something Georgia Tech failed to do. Their offense also looked much better against Notre Dame (outscoring and out gaining GT) versus a comparable foe. Try takin' the marbles outta your mouth.

Yes...they beat Pitt while having much lower rated recruits at every position...something Georgia Tech failed to do. Their offense also looked much better against Notre Dame (outscoring and out gaining GT) versus a comparable foe. Try takin' the marbles outta your mouth.

Yeah, and one year earlier with a comparable level of veteran leadership and not ravaged by injury GT produced its best team since 1990, was virtually unstoppable in the second half of the season and finished in the Top 10 while beating two of the SEC's top teams. Who did Navy beat last year? A couple teams in Memphis (traditional powerhouse!) and Pitt who were pretty bad down the stretch. Awesome.

Speaking of marbles, get off the Navy gagging. I will always respect and admire what they do because of what the academy stands for and the discipline of their student-athletes, but you're comparing apples to aardvarks when you consider the level of competition week-to-week and the mindset of an academy kid vs. a GT kid. Not even close.

Yeah, and one year earlier with a comparable level of veteran leadership and not ravaged by injury GT produced its best team since 1990, was virtually unstoppable in the second half of the season and finished in the Top 10 while beating two of the SEC's top teams. Who did Navy beat last year? A couple teams in Memphis (traditional powerhouse!) and Pitt who were pretty bad down the stretch. Awesome.

Speaking of marbles, get off the Navy gagging. I will always respect and admire what they do because of what the academy stands for and the discipline of their student-athletes, but you're comparing apples to aardvarks when you consider the level of competition week-to-week and the mindset of an academy kid vs. a GT kid. Not even close.

Instead of doubling down and looking like a fool, you should stop. Memphis crushed Ole Miss (who beat several ranked teams including #2 Alabama). Who cares what Memphis has traditionally done? What has Georgia Tech "traditionally done" with the exception of seasons like 1990? 2014? Does the 2015 season have any bearing on what they did in 2014?

GT scored 28 points at home against Pitt despite the fact that they rolled up 490+ yards of offense. Navy had almost 600 yards of offense and scored 44 points....quite simply blowing them out. If you actually watched both games, you could see that the GT- Pitt game looked like a contest between equal teams. The Navy - Pitt game looked close for the 1st half until Pitt just got worn out.

Comparable level of "veteran leadership"? Now you are grasping at straws. Georgia Tech has better raw athletes but that's merely an abstraction that must show up in concrete games or it's just unfulfilled potential. Bottom line: Keep Georgia Tech's defense from last year but replace the offense with Navy's and you got at least 3-4 more wins. The "apples to aardvarks" talk is nonsense.

Back