PJ play calling in the 4th quarter

Our passing game was awful last night.

I thought it was Jekyll-Hyde. Tyler made some real good catches and Stephen made a real good one, IIRC. We looked really bad when Tevin was heavily rushed, however.

I don't understand:

1) Why does he run a qb sneak 2 plays in a row? TW is not JN. I don't know how many times TW has to prove that before PJ believes it.

2) We are down by 8, we've been running the ball very well all game (except for the qb sneaks), there is approx 6 minutes to go, and we start passing. Why?

I love PJ, but I just don't understand this.

I believe he said on the call-in show a few weeks ago that he never calls the sneak, its the Qb's option when he comes to the line and thinks he can get it.

The call to go out for it on 4th down on our own 30 yard line behind one point.

Worst call in history of college football? Discuss.

It was just our catching. The entire passing game was awful. The right tackle was consistently beat on the edge. Tevin threw a few ducks. Orwin dropped an easy catch. The whole thing was out of sync. Despite that, the overall offensive perfomance was good. But to actually beat UGa, our O is going to have to be better than Thursday. And our D is going to have to stop the power running game. And we should make a stop 70%the of the time on 3rda and >10.

TW went wrong side and he is consistanly standing too upright when he hits LOS.

I don't understand:

1) Why does he run a qb sneak 2 plays in a row? TW is not JN. I don't know how many times TW has to prove that before PJ believes it.

2) We are down by 8, we've been running the ball very well all game (except for the qb sneaks), there is approx 6 minutes to go, and we start passing. Why?

I love PJ, but I just don't understand this.[/QUOT

You are 100% correct. With three minutes to go, he starts bombing away too. We have zero chance of throwing the ball well with this team. Run the ball outside and often. Instead he runs a B back dive. Oh brother. He actually outwits himself in my opinion.

for some reason TW looks slow compared to the speed of the game. i thought that something had sort of changed during the Clemson game after the second drive. it seemed like the proverbial "lights went on" moment.

well, didnt seem to happen again against VT. he seems not just too upright but expecting to get hit instead of expecting to get through the hole. he doesnt seem full speed. i felt his passing effort was pretty good. he made some good throws - some were dropped.

i think our defense played pretty well also. we fell asleep at the end of the half, and i personally think that was the biggest play of the game despite our ensuing FG. Third and long was also miserable and our special teams play continues to negatively influence outcomes. if they had a stat that summarized kick and punt distances, return yards allowed, return yards gained and similar, i think we would be one of the absolute worst in college football

i dont really understand that

I believe he said on the call-in show a few weeks ago that he never calls the sneak, its the Qb's option when he comes to the line and thinks he can get it.

If so, this option needs to be taken away from TW. Also, I agree with whoever said he should've gone right instead of left.

The call to go out for it on 4th down on our own 30 yard line behind one point.

Worst call in history of college football? Discuss.

I didn't have a problem with going for it. I did have a problem with the play called on 3rd and 4th down.

He actually outwits himself in my opinion.

This is what I think, and I don't understand it. That being said, on one of those "1st and throws," Roddy was wide open for a td if TW would've just seen him and passed him the ball. I understand that sometimes it works and that is real nice, but we were getting 10+ yards if we ran 4 times. Therefore, we should've been running on 1st down.

At Southern in short yardage situations, PJ would bring in two extra OL and have them at TE, bring in two DL and put them at fullback and line up Adrian Peterson at the tail of the I. His idea was to run his best runner behind his best blocker and if you can't get that yard, you don't deserve to.
I don't have a problem with the fourth down call. It looked like Tevin had a crack from our seats but someone got his ankle. I wasn't thrilled with the third down call.
From Orwin's drop to Jeremiah's punch to the botched fourth down attempt, you got to make plays.

That being said, on one of those "1st and throws," Roddy was wide open for a td if TW would've just seen him and passed him the ball. I understand that sometimes it works and that is real nice, but we were getting 10+ yards if we ran 4 times. Therefore, we should've been running on 1st down.

He was wide open and Tevin had a nice pocket, but instead of looking downfield he had his eyes on the DL and was pretty much waiting to be sacked

Back