Players to get commemorative ring for beating UGAg

Not really a big fan of this, but whatever. In my opinion you get rings for championships, or the big national events like a Final Four, when you've really accomplished something - unless you're our 2006 College World Series team, in which case you get nothing. But that's another fight...

They won the 2008 Georgia State Championship:laugher:

If a Tech player is expected to hand the ball to the ref after a TD, because he is supposed to act like he has scored one before and will do so again, why would we order these rings? Shouldn't we act like we have beaten UGA before and will do so again?

Call me crazy, but we should act like this is not some rare event by commemorating it with a ring.

My GOD.
The ring is for a great season - not for beating Georgia. Jesus Christ.

We got rings whenever we went to a bowl. It's like another poster said, with the NCAA rules, it just makes sense that the school can spend so much on players for the bowl games, and a ring makes sense. It is a ring for the season, and the seniors decided to put the Ugag score on it, which is a fine idea. The AJC headline writers should get a lot of bad emails. Some fans on both sides are running with it though as if they were the papparazzi (sp?). What else is new?

The headlines have caused A LOT of crap. The rings themselves are no big deal - since it's a typical bowl gift. The score being put on them is no big deal either. Had these rings been purchased just for the uga win, I'd be embarrassed. Isn't it against NCAA rules to purchase items for players other than for bowl gifts? My point is it's not possible for these to be gifts for just beating uga.

the ring is for recognition and the fact is we were underdogs ON THE ROAD and ugag was preseason #1.

I hope that in a few years we will treat beating ugag as a ho hum event but that is NOT the case right now.

We just gave a guy a $$$2.5 mill BECAUSE HE BEAT UGAG!

When you consider the fact that we lost to UVA at home and we did not make it to the ACCCG it is clear the REASON for this raise was a win against ugag. If we lose that game he ain't getting no raise!

so for all those reasons the rings are ok

Would it be against NCAA regulations if we all chipped in and bought the UGA football team some Preseason #1 commemorative rings?

Would it be against NCAA regulations if we all chipped in and bought the UGA football team some Preseason #1 commemorative rings?

I think if you made them out of paper mache, preferably from the SI UGA #1 cover, and mailed it to UGA it might be ok. I'd pitch my copy in, but I gave it, framed and signed by Dwyer, to a UGA grad friend for Christmas.

The Jacket is right, these rings are for honoring our great season. And beating UGA was what pushed it from "really good" to "great." So in that sense, these are rings for beating UGA, and I doubt they would have decided to get rings if we'd lost that game. I have no problem with it, since I'd imagine they just went to the players and said, we can give you part of your bowl gift as rings, would you like that? And I'm hoping the rest of their fingers will be filled with ACC or national title rings within the next few years anyway.

And this is why the AJC sucks.

http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/12/30/georgia_football_ring_tech.html

Follow up a non-story that had a controversial headline by attempting to fabricate a bush league story. I'm actually glad their players had nothing to say about it. The AJC editors need to be returned back to the entrance of Walmart where they belong.

Our seniors are free to do whatever they want with their ring engravings without being baited by the retards that work for that birdcage liner disguised as a newspaper.

Continued lazy journalism. I guess the AJC wants some sort of dramatic story line where we disrespect Georgia and give them fuel to beat us next year.

edit: Ahahahaha

"UGA players prefer to focus on Mich. State, not gloating by in-state rivals."

Absolutely pathetic. Go **** yourself, AJC.

If a Tech player is expected to hand the ball to the ref after a TD, because he is supposed to act like he has scored one before and will do so again, why would we order these rings? Shouldn't we act like we have beaten UGA before and will do so again?

Call me crazy, but we should act like this is not some rare event by commemorating it with a ring.
Have you not read any of the thread? Jeez I can't understand how dense our own fans are sometimes. When you go to a bowl you get a ring. It had nothing to do with ugag, the seniors just decided to put the damn score on the ring.

the ring is for recognition and the fact is we were underdogs ON THE ROAD and ugag was preseason #1.

I hope that in a few years we will treat beating ugag as a ho hum event but that is NOT the case right now.

We just gave a guy a $$$2.5 mill BECAUSE HE BEAT UGAG!

When you consider the fact that we lost to UVA at home and we did not make it to the ACCCG it is clear the REASON for this raise was a win against ugag. If we lose that game he ain't getting no raise!

so for all those reasons the rings are ok
This may be your craziest post of all time law. None of what you wrote is correct.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a decision the players made is being debated.

If the players want it and like it then what else is there to discuss?

I sincerely WISH we had a 2nd newspaper in Atlanta and requlate the AJC to the its natural use (fish wrap, a** wipe, etc.) Yeah I know years ago there was another short lived publication, but Atlanta is much larger now--I can only wish!

Back