Please consider one thing before you post. (long)

I dont understand why you dont want to give our defense props in regards to the Auburn game this year.. maybe you didnt see the game.. the defense shut them down..

A 10-6 record is a mediocre record? I think it depends on who a lot of other factors .. team personnel, strenght of division, strenght of schedule, injuries during the season.. TCU is undefeated this year, why isnt anyone impressed?

You are right in regards to the offensive coordinators.. who knows.. and since I dont know, I am not going to come on this board and spew negativity.. letting my imagination run wild.. they may have offered one or both.. who knows.. we dont know.. one thing I do know is this though.. all news is not in the papers.. and what news is there, is not always accurate.. newspapers have their own agendas as well

Second half game plan against Fresno.. I didnt like the results either.. but if you are going to blame Gailey for the lack on defensive effort in the bowl game... then you have to give Gailey credit for the defense this year.. you cant have it both ways..

Why dont you just make it easy... admit you hate Gailey.. there is nothing wrong with that.. what is wrong tho, is taking every opportunity to to run Gailey and Tech down just because you dont like him.. maybe if you had stronger ties to Tech you would appreciate what I am trying to say.. or maybe I could find a better way to say it..

I am not saying Gailey is perfect.. but then again, I dont know of a perfect coach.. I do think he deserves a chance to do his job.. am I happy about blowout losses.. no.. but I can look at a bigger picture.. thats all

Originally posted by GTCrew:
I understand your frustration, but I do not think you are being objective when you say the offense is failing at every turn.

If I get more time I will use my recently acquired statistical analysis knowledge to analyze the offensive data. I believe the trendline on scoring is positive. I believe the trendline in yardage is positive.

I firmly believe there is no group of fans to be found anywhere in the country with a lower opinion of Gailey than this small vocal group within the Tech Community. Criticism is fine, but doesn't that make you think you might be a little overboard at times?

Any football fan or coach with any objectivity seems to think
a. Gailey is doing a GREAT job.
b. Gailey is a great find for GT.
c. Gailey will make GT competitive.
d. Gailey is a quality individual.
e. GT had extraordinary personnel losses.

First we have anti-chan folks claiming the flunkgate losses were not that bad. That is laughable. Objective fans looked at those losses and predicted eighth place for us. Objective fans looked at UGA's losses and predicted an SEC championship as a no brainer. Objective fans knew about the injuries going into the Florida game and still predicted a Bulldog victory. Can you imagine the spread GT vs Florida at the beginning of the season?

I am very comfortable with your positions. As always, bring up any additional concerns you have when they come up, but consider backing off a little on the general 'Chan's Offense vacuums' negativity. Now is not the time to shake up the staff. Now is not the time to gut the playbook. Nobody is more disappointed in the O's overall performance than Chan himself. That is clear from his personality. He appears to take losing very hard.

Here is a wish list we can discuss through the next few months.
1. We need to continue to make progress on O. That means increased yardage and increased scoring. Our ST stinks and that can hurt scoring bad, so gains in yardage can indicate progress IMHO.
2. The team needs to look like they care this year against UGA. I can handle losing, but this year UGA better know after the game that there is a Div 1 team in Atlanta.
3. Coach needs to make progress on the OLine. It could be staff changes, or player changes, or impressive recruiting, or whatever. If Feb rolls around with zero adjustments it will lower my tolerance level for failure here in 2004.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with D. Tech was already competetive. And the personell loses have been made up. I can say that because the biggest positions to be hit was the defensive line and linebackers and we have excelled at these areas with the personell we have there.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
I dont understand why you dont want to give our defense props in regards to the Auburn game this year.. maybe you didnt see the game.. the defense shut them down..

A 10-6 record is a mediocre record? I think it depends on who a lot of other factors .. team personnel, strenght of division, strenght of schedule, injuries during the season.. TCU is undefeated this year, why isnt anyone impressed?

You are right in regards to the offensive coordinators.. who knows.. and since I dont know, I am not going to come on this board and spew negativity.. letting my imagination run wild.. they may have offered one or both.. who knows.. we dont know.. one thing I do know is this though.. all news is not in the papers.. and what news is there, is not always accurate.. newspapers have their own agendas as well

Second half game plan against Fresno.. I didnt like the results either.. but if you are going to blame Gailey for the lack on defensive effort in the bowl game... then you have to give Gailey credit for the defense this year.. you cant have it both ways..

Why dont you just make it easy... admit you hate Gailey.. there is nothing wrong with that.. what is wrong tho, is taking every opportunity to to run Gailey and Tech down just because you dont like him.. maybe if you had stronger ties to Tech you would appreciate what I am trying to say.. or maybe I could find a better way to say it..

I am not saying Gailey is perfect.. but then again, I dont know of a perfect coach.. I do think he deserves a chance to do his job.. am I happy about blowout losses.. no.. but I can look at a bigger picture.. thats all
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I accidently left the word defensive out when speaking of the teams that beat Auburn. And I was speaking the second half of the Florida State game this year when it was a repeat of the BYU. No I don't hate Chan Gailey. I hate the fact he passed up a golden opportunity in Feburary to bring in a offensive coordinator! I am fine with him as the head coach. Not at all pleased with his role in the offense. No I did not go to Tech. I went to Dalton College after serving in the Navy. I have been a Georgia Tech fan since I was 10 years old and I get a rush everytime I am on campus. No one that knows me doubts who my allegience is to.

jacketguy: Sorry I messed it up again. That first line should have read: Auburn has lost four games including being blown out by Southern Cal(at home)and LSU. Plus Ole Miss at home when they could'nt execute. And don't forget what our defense did to them. Yes I was there and I enjoyed every minute.

Stateline,

So you're a Dalton guy, eh? I attended a couple of classes at Dalton College while I was at Dalton High. I'm in Greenville, SC now, though (got a job up here after Tech).

It's good to have some Dalton posters on here.

Chewreck: I am glad to meet you. Hey you know it is no fun screaming for a new offensive direction for Tech but we need to do this after the season is over. If Coach Gailey and Dave Braine do not go out and secure a offensive coordinator of the likes of Spence or Hawkins it will cost Gailey big time in the end. And you know what I mean....his job.

Great post, GTCrew!!!! As for me and my wife, we stand with you and the rest of the GT family.

Stateline,

Once again, I agree completely. This hogwash with Gailey having a running and passing coordinator and then himself calling the plays is crazy, and most of all it's not working!

He had a great opportunity to hire a proven offensive coordinator earlier this year, and yet he came up with the concoction that we currently have in place. It's obviously not getting the job done.

It's amazing what people will accept around here nowadays. When Friedgen left and O'Brien only averaged 32 points a game, people were calling for his head, and yet now we are not allowed to say anything at all about an offense that's only averaging 15???

It's pitiful, and if it doesn't change, Gailey will definitely feel the results of it.

Stateline - I admire you for sticking to your guns and backing up your arguments with data. I know you have taken some heat on this board and to do so without being an alum shows that you are a real Tech fan.We as an institute need more of your type - a non-grad who cares enough to speak his mind even if it does ruffle some feathers from time to time. We struggle to get our alumni passionate about Tech football, let alone people who did not go to Tech. Keep it up, I really enjoy reading what you have to say. When I read posts from others who point out that we were a mere one or two plays from competing with Duke, I really struggle with that mindset.

Thanks Mustard.

SLJ...
I am in full agreement that the three headed monster did not come out of the gate clicking on all cylinders. I also agree that we should discuss available OCs after the season. If Gailey makes a change we can expect to take a step backwards before moving forward as we implement the fourth Offense in four years. If he keeps things intact even I will have a shorter fuse and will expect improvement from day 1. That is S.O.P.

I will point out that that 'criticism' of Gailey in Dallas lasted about six months after which they realized they messed up bigtime. Emmett Smith himself will tell you Gailey is a great coach.

One more thing. Here we are talking about the OL issues and we get a tremendous verbal. This guy will either play OL, or he will allow us to move one of our other DTs to OL if necessary.

Then Gailey singles out the three OLinemen from last year as being standouts on the scout team. Things are looking better and better every day
drinking.gif

Stateline: I have no doubt at all about your passion for Georgia Tech. I wish G T had more fans like you. Thanks for your great posts and defending what you passionately believe in which is Georgia Tech success. I am like you in that I started routing for Tech when I was about six years old and it is still one of the great pleasures that I enjoy.

Thank you for the support! From my earliest recollection of backyard(and indoors!)football I was Georgia Tech and my brother was Georgia. It is still that way and always will be. I know I am not a typical Tech fan but through almost 30 years I have shared the ups and downs with many of you.....Also let me say this support from alums is really appreciated because it would be easy to look down on someone who is not. That shows class and you have my gratitude. We all do want the same thing which is to see the Ramblin Wreck as successful on the football field as they ineviatably will be off of it.

stateline, just a few comments.

On player developement. It's easy to pick out a few guys and talk about their lack of PT or development and blame it on the coaching staff. I would submit that you can do that at any program and with any coaching staff. Football recruiting isn't a science and many more guys fizzle than in basketball as an example. Also those guys aren't gone yet so we may yet see their talents on the field. BTW, Ace may be developing just fine, but PJ may just be ahead of him.

Your reference to taking the ball out of Troy's hands doesn't seem to hold up if you check the stats. Troy's numbers were about the same in terms of passing yardage as they were the year before and the year after Chan was there. His rating was higher both years than before and after. One factor that makes it harder to see is that Troy missed games each of Chan's years in Dallas due to injury. Not questioning the fact that Chan changed the offense. Just some of the conclusions drawn.

Am I totally satisfied with Chan? No. To do that we would need to be scoring and winning more. But I do feel he has done some things very well. He's held the team together thru a ton of non-football related controversy and hardship and generally has them playing well. We clearly have a problem getting the ball in the end zone, but I don't personally think it's a result of our style of play. I don't think we have the kind of players to play a different style. What we're doing is shooting ourselves in the foot. That's what we have to stop doing, not totally change our offensive sets. OTOH if that's what he wants to do is fine by me, I just don't know that we have the horses, especially the speed.

First off,

I'd like to say that the level of dialog on this thread anyway has been agreeably disagreeable.

Stateline, what record do you expect this GT team to have...will you be on the Bandwagon if we win out? If we end at 6-6? Would it have taken a national championship or bcs bowl? Please elaborate on what a coach at GT has to do to earn your support.

Then ask yourself what you would expect from this coach if his team was either depleted or inexperienced at QB, RB, DLine, Punter - obviously areas where he has some control, but since this is the end of his 2nd yr, not totally all within his control. Would this lower your expectations at all?

Go jackets bust the heels.

Originally posted by Hedgeplague:
First off,

I'd like to say that the level of dialog on this thread anyway has been agreeably disagreeable.

Stateline, what record do you expect this GT team to have...will you be on the Bandwagon if we win out? If we end at 6-6? Would it have taken a national championship or bcs bowl? Please elaborate on what a coach at GT has to do to earn your support.

Then ask yourself what you would expect from this coach if his team was either depleted or inexperienced at QB, RB, DLine, Punter - obviously areas where he has some control, but since this is the end of his 2nd yr, not totally all within his control. Would this lower your expectations at all?

Go jackets bust the heels.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">After Coach Gailey took "personal" control of the offense with Coach O'Brien leaving and he then announcing he was bringing in Coach Geis and promoting Coach Nix .....I predicted 3 to 4 wins. And in all honesty if Coach Tenuta's defense had not come stepped up as it has most of the year we would be far short of that total. The level of play on offense speaks for itself in its stats. The numbers don't lie in this case. It is one of the very worst offenses in the nation. And the special teams are at a level I never recall Tech being at. I can't believe you or anyone else can say that these two units have personell that is this bad. The specific number of wins is not important to me. Never has been and I am on record as saying this. It is the level of play I look at. The Tech coaches on offense have failed to develop any of the talent we have on hand. Ace Eziemefe, Levon Thomas, Michael Matthews, Xavier McGuire, Mark Logan, Damarius Bilbo are among genuine talents who are riding the bench on saturdays for lack of development. Nat Dorsey and Leon Robinson have not played up to expectations set their freshman years. It is so odd how Coach Tenuta has been able to do what the offensive staff has failed at miserably and that is develop his talent. James Butler, Dawan Landry, Gerris Wilkerson, Eric Henderson, the freshman who has plugged the hole in the line Mansfield Wrotto plus the freshmen backups Joe Anoai and Brad Brezina. Key Fox is playing at his highest level along with Darryl Smith. This is no accident. On one side(offense)of the ball we have no player development and on the other side(defense)we have player development beyond our wildest dreams. To get my support all a coach has to do is develop talent. Coach Tenuta and his defensive assistants are obviously doing this while Coach Gailey and his assistants are not. It is easy make excuses for lack of player development. When fans don't see the talent on the field it is easy to forget it is there. How many of you had forgot about Wilkerson? Answer everyone! You know and I know it. Until now. The talent is here but the coaching has to be there also. That is why the defense has excelled this year and the offense has failed. Player Development.

Stateline-
No matter what, the number of wins is the bottom line. If it is not, who are we developing the players for? If we are developing them so they can play professional ball then we are nothing more than a farm team and there is no sense in making them go to school. In my opinion, wins for Georgia Tech are the bottom line.

I am not surprised at all that we have 5 wins. Going into the season I expected us to beat BYU, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Duke, UNC, and at least one of the NC State, Maryland, Wake Forest, and Virginia games. What has changed since then: NC State is not a top 10 team, Maryland and Virginia are not top 15 teams, and Wake Forest isn't a top 25 team. In fact, virtually every team on our schedule has turned out to be vastly overrated based on preseason expectations and none of them are even in the top 25 with exception of FSU and UGA both of which I counted as losses. Our one big win this year was against an overrated Auburn team that has proven to be pretty mediocre and also is not a top 25 team. If I had known going into the season that our opposition was so overrated, it would have been easy to predict a 7 win season. At best the results point to an average overall performance year to date, but the inconsistency of the team over the past two years is troubling and raises questions about our coach's ability to prepare and motivate our team. If we are not able to make a bowl game, we need to reevaluate the way we are doing things.

stateline, geniune talents at what? Three of the kids you name are QBs who have moved. Two moved before this year. They are talented athletically, but still either searching for their best position or learning it. Matthews has been playing, where have you been? And it's kind of hard to develop PJ into the 3rd leading rusher in the ACC and still satisfy you by developing ACE. Only one can start.

I don't have a problem with your concerns about Gailey. But your post general statements that cannot be demonstrated. Yes our offensive stats suck, but the question is why. You haven't offered any opinions on that. Do you have any?

Why do you say that JTS? The records?

NCState took Ohio State into many overtimes. They are clearly capable of playing with BCS teams. The only reason NCState and Maryland are not ranked is that they lost to us.

Other than Miami, what team outside of the top 10 would you be afraid of playing any more than UVA or Wake? We are capable of beating (or losing to) ANYONE (except maybe OU) on any given Saturday. NC State could beat anyone on any given Saturday, and so could the Fridge's boys.

Back