Please offer the Res. Again...

LLCoolJacket

Damn Good Rat
unless the last one is still valid.

This is NOT a GOL vs. Chan statement. This is all about Dave Braine being inept. Much has been said about how the Athletic/ Academic plane shifted after O'Leary left. I do not wonder why.

I will venture out on my limb and say that Oleary acted as our AD as well as head football coach. The stadium expansion plan was all George's. Football people were directly involved in the academic whereabouts with ball players under George's watch. Is it not a joke to anyone else that these hands off changes took place AFTER the departure of George? Does anyone think that he left because these changes were coming? Hell, no. If there was a man or woman here in Tech Athletics with any level of testosterone, we would be fine.

Dave Braine is gutless, or he just doesn't care about doing his job.
Tech will always be a school where athletics must fight the pin heads. Thats fine as long as we have a fighter in charge. He just isn't, and I blame him for the entire mess.

Seems like when George left we all lost, Tech and George, ND took an image hit but hit the image jackpot signing willingham and having him lead they to great things

Oh give me a break! GOL abandoned Tech. I don't EVER want him back and I refuse to look back at the man with rose colored glasses. As for Braine, he's been there quite a while and the complaints all seem to be recent griping, justified for the most part. Sure we had the academic problems, but that is being fixed. Braine has also made a lot of good decisions FOR Tech athletics over the years so give him a little bit of credit where it is due.
We learned last year that O'Brien wasn't the offensive brain we thought he was (after two years of decline). I would imagine that if GOL was here we would've still learned that he wasn't right for the position.

Dave Braine cares about one thing only....MONEY. Every decision he has made as AD is and has been an attempt to generate more money. While this is a good thing in most cases, Braine would have his grandmother tap dance naked on the 50 yard line for a Tuesday morning game against Troy State if he thought it would allow him to sell tickets for $40, parking passes for $70, and get TV deals that would have us playing at 11:00am all season.
BOO

I agree as well. Since I learned that Braine tied the hands of Chan in more ways than one I have felt that if changes were made that they must begin with Dave. It wouldn't help to cut Chan, no matter how bad things get as long as we have Dave driving the carriage. We are in trouble and now I am not so sure that the major problem is with Chan.

I have been saying all along that the problem is Braine. When O'Leary was here, he refused to take orders from Braine. He was in fact the AD over football. When Chan came in, as the new kid on the block, he took orders from Braine. Dave started by refusing to let Chan keep the old coaching staff. Had we kept the staff, there would have been minimal transition pain. We probably would not have had the academic problems, at least on the scale we had them. Strange that Dave insisted that BOB be retained. If Dave had knonw football, he would have realized BOB was in over his head. I hope the powers that be will get rid of Dave. I still believe in Chan. His background is too good for him not to succeed if given the proper support.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
I have been saying all along that the problem is Braine. When O'Leary was here, he refused to take orders from Braine. He was in fact the AD over football. When Chan came in, as the new kid on the block, he took orders from Braine. Dave started by refusing to let Chan keep the old coaching staff. Had we kept the staff, there would have been minimal transition pain. We probably would not have had the academic problems, at least on the scale we had them. Strange that Dave insisted that BOB be retained. If Dave had knonw football, he would have realized BOB was in over his head. I hope the powers that be will get rid of Dave. I still believe in Chan. His background is too good for him not to succeed if given the proper support.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dude, NO new head coach keeps the previous staff.
Depending on when you come onboard,you keep the recruiting coordinator.
If you've worked with a member of the staff before you might keep him.
But no head coach keeps an entire staff.
That's a very easy way to build strife and division in your team.

No one wants a player mutiny being tacitly supported by a previous assistant.

I am at a loss for that rationale..

There may be much to these comments on Braine, but the one related to Chan and his staff are way off base. In fact, I think the biggest problem we had last year was Chan trying to hold on to some of the old staff. A new coach should have his own staff...period. You'll find very few instances where holdover assistants help in transition. You need to make a clean break. If anything, I blame Braine for convincing Chan to keep BOB around.

You guys are entitled to dissent with my opinion, but I have it from good sources that at least one very, very influencial supporter and former player was extremely upset with the decision to let go of several key members of the old staff. But what's done is done and there is no use debating it. I do think Braine is a large problem.

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
unless the last one is still valid.

This is NOT a GOL vs. Chan statement. This is all about Dave Braine being inept. Much has been said about how the Athletic/ Academic plane shifted after O'Leary left. I do not wonder why.

I will venture out on my limb and say that Oleary acted as our AD as well as head football coach. The stadium expansion plan was all George's. Football people were directly involved in the academic whereabouts with ball players under George's watch. Is it not a joke to anyone else that these hands off changes took place AFTER the departure of George? Does anyone think that he left because these changes were coming? Hell, no. If there was a man or woman here in Tech Athletics with any level of testosterone, we would be fine.

Dave Braine is gutless, or he just doesn't care about doing his job.
Tech will always be a school where athletics must fight the pin heads. Thats fine as long as we have a fighter in charge. He just isn't, and I blame him for the entire mess.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Cool: You have stated something here that has been talked about by myself with Alum and fans about GOL's role while he was here - AD for football! I've also found out that there was definite butt heading between them and realizing after so much time here - Braine STILL DOESN'T GET IT! You would think he learned even from George! His work ethic is NADA and we are all finding it out.
Can't blame GOL - he busted his butt!

It's funny how it took a season of football with fans up in arms to open many 'CANS OF WORMS'! Maybe in the long run the Season of 2002 was what was needed to find out things we might not have otherwise!
shocked.gif

Ms. TA, I don't want to get labeled as one blindly loyal to GOL. I did enjoy his time here with Ralph, but flying on his own was not very successful on the field.

His role as AD is another story. Even with resume gate, I would consider him in a minute for the job Dave Braine wastes now.

Better yet, lets find someone with his administrative guts that didn't quit on us.

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
Ms. TA, I don't want to get labeled as one blindly loyal to GOL. I did enjoy his time here with Ralph, but flying on his own was not very successful on the field.

His role as AD is another story. Even with resume gate, I would consider him in a minute for the job Dave Braine wastes now.

Better yet, lets find someone with his administrative guts that didn't quit on us.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only thing that I would say about GOL, just like any other HC that loses a great assistant(s) and Ralph was more then great - you need to regroup and find another and move forward positively. He was only here for one year without Ralph 2001. I think he would have been fine moving forward had GOL been here beyond that.
2001 was a chaning year w/o Ralph - for everyone here!

You find out how important assitants are, look at what has happened to Bobby Bowden since Amato and Richt have left, he's scrambling. Those were two very important assistants in that program for a very long time. I've always said, they (assistants) are your backbone. Great HC's find the good ones!

Back