Please tell me its not true...

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
Did Chan say on the radio interview that he will NOT be interviewing for an OC ??????

If this is true, its unbelievable.

Wish I could!! He was quite emphatic! So, I guess, we can expect the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

He said Patrick Nix is the offensive coordinator and that he won't be interviewing anyone. Plus, he added he will always be involved in his offense.

Well heck, who says he can't be INVOLVED ???
Just because he gets a real OC doesn't mean he can't be INVOLVED !!! The two are not mutually exclusive !
Sheeeeeesh !

What is the norm? Does the OC not call the plays at most places? Just curious.

And I predicted he would not hire a new OC, but my biggest question is will he make a change at OL coach?

it is my understanding that chan is calling most of the plays while nix learns the job and coaches the qbs. a lot of the younger coaches like richt call their own plays or have a major input in the play calling. a lot depends on their background before they became head coaches. i think coach d did a great job keeping the line together with all the injuries and lack of depth. let's see what happens next year when the redshirt freshman take the field. from observing him in practice, he works closer with and is respected more by his players than most coaches on the staff. he is a good teacher.

Tex, he might keep what he has and move forward. My only complaints with the line are as follows:
1. I think they got man handled more than they man handled other teams.
2. I have a real problem as a former OL that when you face a run blitzing team the OL has to keep their head up and that didn't happen consistently i felt.

I do however thought they fought their butts off all year and I appreciate that very much as all of y'all do. I want to see bigger lineman recruited if we are going to be a run oriented team if not then maybe look at other schemes.

I know most here won't agree, but I don't have a problem with the game Chan calls overall. I disagree when we're in the red zone often...I just don't think we give ourselves enough of a chance. But of 60-70 plays I think he does a pretty good job on the vast majority.

Our main problem continues to be execution. It doesn't matter what you're running, if too many plays don't work it screws up the progression of what you're trying to build over the course of a possession and game. And most of the problem continues to be at QB. That's what worries me about Nix. I don't care which of them calls the plays, I"m more concerned about who is teaching our QBs what to do.

Yes, the OL had issues this year, but it's hard to tell if it's coaching given the injuries and lack of depth we have.

If Chan feels the need to change his staff it won't bother me a bit, I don't think any of our offensive coaches are untouchables. But I think what will make the biggest difference next year is QB play not play calling, and what we end up with on the OL.

Don't you agree that if we are going to be a run dominant team we need to solidify 8-10 lineman and big ones at that?
He had a huge lineman in Dallas and ran the ball well, we need to bring that here.

I am biased but it starts with both Lines and it seems the DL is a little a head at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
Did Chan say on the radio interview that he will NOT be interviewing for an OC ??????

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif

Wow. That is rich.

You know, as much confidence as I've lost in Chan as a football coach, I really love this. I have to respect this kind of shove-it-in-your-stinking-face obstinence that very few people in the public eye can muster. It's almost enough to get me back on the Chan-wagon.

You have all these fans running around, trying to play the middle ground, saying oh YEAH, of COURSE, I'm willing to support another year for Chan. But ONLY, ONLY, if he immediately improves his offensive coaching staff, hires an offensive coordinator, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Then Chan just says, take that idea and go shove it up where the sun don't shine, you wishy-washy fence-sitters. Like Bush said, you either stand with me or you stand against me. Chan's just ramming his ideas down everyone's throat and daring anyone to open his pie-hole.

I may not think Chan is much of a coach, but holy cow, I love the boldness of this move. Time to stir the pot.

Hey, it's his neck on the line. I'm pretty sure he's aware that next season he needs to demonstrate improvement or be getting his resume ready. He'll do what he thinks will get him there. I for one hope he makes it---if not, I'll still have respect for the man.

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. That is rich.

You know, as much confidence as I've lost in Chan as a football coach, I really love this. I have to respect this kind of shove-it-in-your-stinking-face obstinence that very few people in the public eye can muster. It's almost enough to get me back on the Chan-wagon.

You have all these fans running around, trying to play the middle ground, saying oh YEAH, of COURSE, I'm willing to support another year for Chan. But ONLY, ONLY, if he immediately improves his offensive coaching staff, hires an offensive coordinator, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Then Chan just says, take that idea and go shove it up where the sun don't shine, you wishy-washy fence-sitters. Like Bush said, you either stand with me or you stand against me. Chan's just ramming his ideas down everyone's throat and daring anyone to open his pie-hole.

I may not think Chan is much of a coach, but holy cow, I love the boldness of this move. Time to stir the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. BH, I have always supported you in a sinister type of way. Your delivery was a bit over the top for me, but I considered what you said after the fact. I never bought into the fun you were having with your predictions.....

Until now. To reiterate, I am a have Chan back next year, as long as he significantly reconfigures the offensive staff, and keeps the defense in line.

It now appears that Chan Gailey feels that Ga. Tech is best to let him run the program with no improvements seen mandatory by the alumni and all of its other supporters.

I respect Chan for his honesty. I also feel that a change at the top is mandatory if he feels this way.
We (the fans, and men of influence), have allowed this man to lead this program for three years on his own. It is apparent that change needs to happen. If it is true that Chan will not adapt to necessary adjustments, we will need to part ways.

Wonder if CCG...

thought to check with the "official voice" and loudest mouth on Stingtalk before he made this statement...the "official voice" of Stingtalk has made it clear that he will continue to support CCG only if he hires an OC.

LLcool..Are Bunch of Bulldog Henry and You Qualified to tell Chan where and when to make changes?...do you really live in that fantasy land of thinking that the Head Coach of a Major College football program with 35+ years of successfull coaching would allow a few internet Monday Morning QB's like you guys tell him where to make changes??

I am giving you my opinion. You change your opinion like a sheet in the wind.

YES, it is my Very sound opinion that if Chan Gailey does NOT improve his offensive coaching staff now , actually after the season, this program will back up. Do you not approve of this opinion?

He gets paid big money to make these decisions.

It is his team and he has the right to make this or any other decision. Frankly I think he is making a poor decision and is putting himself in a tough spot. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

No I dont change my opinion like a sheet in

the wind...ALL ive ever said WAS that our problems were at QB, PERIOD..I NEVER weighed in on any asst. coaching changes,never...I have an opinion on that and I will reveal it now...I DONT think it is a coaching problem...I think it is REGGIE, and the fact that HE will NEVER be the QB we need REGARDLESS as to who is coaching him...He is not Physically capable...I think our two best options at QB are being redshirted and Im glad we did redshirt them...I will add that I agree, with BOR, We should NOT get rid of Patrick Nix as he is a great recruiter...He is being groomed by Buddy Geis and Chan Gailey and in time may be a good QB coach...I personally do not think it is a coaching problem and that as we develop a pure drop back QB like Bennett and Manley we will be alot better...In the ugag game (I taped it) it was very obviuos that Reggie could NOT get the ball to his recievers (Heck a few weeks back Bob Griese hinted that he was TOO small to find passing lanes) and Bilbo is an athlete that is not a very good QB...Im betting on Bennett coming out and winning the job this spring....

Again, ive been consistent in saying we have a QB problem not a coaching problem...If Chan and Geis had not been successfull with other qb's (They have) then Braine and the guys calling the shots would demand change...They know Chan's background and Buddy Geis's success....IMHO...

As far as Oline coach...I will wait till after 2006 to make my final judgement on him...I Tend to agree with Van Note...He has done a respectful job with very limited depth and injuries....i dont have a problem with the recruiting of smaller quick Olineman...This has been a trend in the NFL (I think it was bor who pointed that out, maybe it was someone else) But Chan got that philosophy from the Denver Broncos...It has been documented that they have notoriously have gotten the smaller quicker Olineman and have Ran The Football better than most NFL teams in the past....

How many bad QB\'s are there on our team?

[ QUOTE ]
...ALL ive ever said WAS that our problems were at QB, PERIOD..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how we can put 3 badly performing QB's in a row on the field (Suggs, Bilbo, and Ball), see no improvement in play by any of them, and conclude it's their fault!

It has to be coaching when you can't EVER put a credible QB on the field!

Re: No I dont change my opinion like a sheet in

I doubt Chan would come out and say he was looking for a new OC this early after the UGAG game, to me it would seem he was trying to replace Nix for the Spike call and I don't think Chan would do that to Nix in the public. Personally I doubt we get an OC but if we were I doubt Chan would announce it, more likely to be done behind the scenes.

Re: How many bad QB\'s are there on our team?

Suggs was a transfer from UT and couldnt cut it up there...I didnt see any teams falling over each other to get Bilbo to transfer after he failed AND Ball was not recruited by anyone to be QB except for us...If any failure at all, it would be That this coaching staff OVERESTIMATED Pat Carter...They thought he might be our QB of the future...Interesting though, Every other school (just like on Ball) did NOT recruit him as a QB...I give Gailey and the coaching staff credit as they quickly in his 3rd class here went out and got 2 Pure Drop back QB"s...Scouting a HS QB is a VERY tricky proposition and very often coaches dont get it right...How bout Rix and Sexton, Walker at FSU ...Are you going to say Bowden cant develop QB's because RIX and Sexton were failures? Gailey did NOT have the luxury of inheriting a veteran proven QB like some new coaches did...

Back