Please -

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
People -

1. Use paragraphs. Most of you are educated way better than that - it's miserable to decifer 80 lines back to back.

2. "Loose" is like the girl at the club - or your shoes when they come untied. "Lose" is how a game ends when you don't win . You can't "loose" a game. You also can't turn Reggie "lose."

Here is an example of these words properly used in a sentence.

We might "lose" if you don't turn Reggie "loose."

Please note the spaces between each idea in the post. These are paragraphs.

If you got through E Mag, this should be easy, you bunch of Einsteins.

Thanks,

TechFowl

I don't know man, I had to coach my ChemE roommate through the Regent's Test. He finally passed on his third try.
smile.gif

I think one of the requirements for attending Tech these days is failing English.
smile.gif

Don't even bother going into there, their, and they're -- its hopeless

Don't know where your going with all this Techfowl, this wasn't you're idea was it?

grin.gif

I can explain your and you'r,

example is that your coat? your as possesive(sp)
did not say I could spell!

example you're going to town now? ie you are

but lose and loose have for some reason always confused me.

I've got them down except for affect and effect and I read the dictionary and still struggle with those two.

Now if your losely involved with educatin and give me bad advise, than I will be affected by this effect.

how about except and accept

LOL

midatlantech .. that was a good one!

then and than is a popular one too

It seems all posters misspell words in our posts occasionally. I think most are intent on getting the post finished and inserted into the thread and fail to check the spelling.

Quite often, I make a post and see a misspelled word. I use the edit function to change it. Sometimes, I reread my post, but fail to pick up errors because I am concentrating on the intent of the post instead of the spelling of the words.

I have known the correct spelling of a word, but suddenly start spelling it differently for some reason. I have been corrected a few times, but I am really appreciative of the person who brings it to my attention.

I think Techfowl's attempt is good, as it will help someone correct their mistake. It is better to correct a mistake than to continue making the same mistake for others to see.

Some of the words mentioned in this thread:

their is personal, there is a place, and they're is a contraction meaning they are,

your is personal, and you're is a contraction meaning you are,

advice is a noun and is something you give or receive. Advise is the action of assisting someone when you advise them of the time of the next game.

Hope those are helpful. Even though I know better, I often insert the words their and there erroneously. Most of the time, I catch my mistake when I reread the post.

I would not try to correct a word someone misspelled if it was incidental, but it appears to be proper to alert them to the correct spelling if it is misspelled continuously.

They're going there to use their tickets to get into the game.

You're entering the wrong gate to your seats.

I advise you to take your own advice regarding this matter.

Father Time

-

I did a joint enrollment with DeKalb when I was in HS for my english classes. I'm proud to say I never took one hour of english at Tech...

Barrel Of Rum!

I will not set hear and except the dribble your spewing! Accept, unless you apoligize.

I advice to to take my advise and not pick on me because you're affect on me is effecting me advurselee.

YOUR the looser!

TekFoul

What about who and whom? Hell, I still mess those up most of the time...even if there's an English teacher standing there heppin' me out.

Oh...and on that note, this would be the perfect post for one of my all-time favorite "grammar" jokes:

This young man from Georgia decides to attend Harvard and is sitting in the matriculation ceremonies to open term beside a very attractive young female. He leans over towards the girl and whispers, "Where are you from?"

She replies, "I hail from a place where we do not end our sentences in prepositions!"

The boys nods his head, leans back over towards the girl and whispers, "My apologies. Where are you from, bi*ch?"

I think I will withdraw from this thread and leave my participle dangling.

Father Time

Back