Poll: Do You Like Politics In Your Sports?

Do you like politics in your sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Not discussing actual political issues in this thread. Talking about mixing politics and sports.

Things like turning to sports radio and hearing political issues, hearing what the NFL thinks of political issues, Seeing what sports personalities support whom or go to what political event. Also, politicians talking about sports.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Pretty typical for our culture nowadays. We tjink because someone can dunk a basketball or pretend to be a super hero that gives them some magical insight into politics or morality.

I’d rather hear the opinion of the guy that sweeps the court floor. At least he has a grasp of real life.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Pretty typical for our culture nowadays. We tjink because someone can dunk a basketball or pretend to be a super hero that gives them some magical insight into politics or morality.

I’d rather hear the opinion of the guy that sweeps the court floor. At least he has a grasp of real life.
It’s not that people think celebs/athletes have magical insight. It’s that people know who they are. And generally people care more about an opinion from somebody they have familiarity with rather than somebody they have never met/seen/heard about.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
It’s not that people think celebs/athletes have magical insight. It’s that people know who they are. And generally people care more about an opinion from somebody they have familiarity with rather than somebody they have never met/seen/heard about.
People are shallow thinkers then.

Dcgt4542

Varsity Lurker
My circle of long time GT fans and college football fans in general are rather disgusted with the growing politics in sports. I have three long time friends and season tickets holders who have already bailed for this reason. Certainly not a large sample but it is three more than cases where I heard someone say I cannot wait to go to game to get lectured on how evil I am if I don’t join the protests. I am reminded that there is a large contingent that has a disdain for sports and could care less. Many in positions of power and influence. It used to be hard for me to fathom this thought but the same can be said for a contingent that is happy by the lockdown and blows to capitalism. Never thought I would ever see flag burning and patriotism disparaged. We are indeed divided and sports are not immune. This is the beginning of this transition. Many will bail so the questions is how many replacement fans who can stomach the politics are joining?

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Didn't the NBA and a fair # of athletes therein look the other way w/r to China when it would hurt them financially?

If your political beliefs are for sale, then you don't have any.

The Kaepernick dude brought his politics into the game and when he had to choose one or the other, he chose his beliefs. Like him or not, like his beliefs or not, I can at least respect a man who won't sell out.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
Didn't the NBA and a fair # of athletes therein look the other way w/r to China when it would hurt them financially?

The Kaepernick dude brought his politics into the game and when he had to choose one or the other, he chose his beliefs. Like him or not, like his beliefs or not, I can at least respect a man who won't sell out.
I think the NFL is the ultimate meritocracy. Kaepernick didnt get blackballed solely because of his protest. Not team will sign him cause he’s not that good and definitely not worth the trouble.

NFL teams will sign wife beaters, rapists, murders, etc. if they can help them win. But if you kinda suck and also have baggage, no one is going to go to bat for you.

In his heart, Kaep knows this. And he’s doing financially alright for himself, so it’s easy for him to turn down what offers he had for backup QB tryouts.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
I don't remember the anthem protocol for Tech football, but in basketball all of the players and coaches are on the floor standing for the anthem. The real question for those who love Tech sports ; What are we going to do if the athletes are allowed to express their politics at our games, and we disagree with the place they choose to make a stance?

Dcgt4542

Varsity Lurker
Will be an individual choice. Some will stay and others will not. I am just a GT loving sidewalk fan with no allegiance prior to 2004. And no unique insight. Just opinion. If there is indeed an an older fan base at GT as I have seen discussed on this board then one might surmise that older fans will have less tolerance for actions perceived to be unpatriotic. Time will tell. I am of the older demographic and my leanings are to move on.

taxjacket

Varsity Lurker
I don't remember the anthem protocol for Tech football, but in basketball all of the players and coaches are on the floor standing for the anthem. The real question for those who love Tech sports ; What are we going to do if the athletes are allowed to express their politics at our games, and we disagree with the place they choose to make a stance?
Football players are in the locker room for the national anthem. In my opinion, it should be that way for the NFL too, it would have made kneeling a non-issue the week after it started.

GTRules

You’re Mamma

What? Kaep found out he could make way more money being a professional protester than he ever could playing football. That's why he purposely screwed the pooch on the workout the NFL arranged especially for him. He had no intention of ever playing again.

moochie

Varsity Lurker
Not discussing actual political issues in this thread. Talking about mixing politics and sports.

Things like turning to sports radio and hearing political issues, hearing what the NFL thinks of political issues, Seeing what sports personalities support whom or go to what political event. Also, politicians talking about sports.
the funny part is the 0 votes, answer 5 (when they agree w/me) is the true answer, if most were honest.

i'm older than i used to be, surprisingly, but different in that even as a 60+ yr old, i smile a little when i see a kap kneeling or others protesting during anthems. remember tommie smith and john carlos in the olympics in 1968, anyone? even as a 13yr old, i remember thinking that it was ok, and i'm a pretty right-leaning dude. we fought a lot of wars to keep freedom alive and i have zero problems with what happens in a national anthem, as we fought for that right. i believe it's bringing light to injustice in their mind, which is fine w/me. i like people having opinions and being passionate, if that is their honest opinion. having said that, i do admit that i want to personally go ape-öööö on their ass when someone burns a flag, but alas that is their right as well.

it's like anything else in this country..it's partially media-induced. same reason that celebrity opinion matters now...it's also media-induced hype. but they have their rights also, and if they want to share their celebrity opinion on something....well, we fought for that also! we can also vote with our wallet and have the ability to stop paying for tickets or shut off the tube, if it bothers us that much. some will choose to, i probably will not. unless some ass-hat has a bic lighter.

User 10337

the funny part is the 0 votes, answer 5 (when they agree w/me) is the true answer, if most were honest.

i'm older than i used to be, surprisingly, but different in that even as a 60+ yr old, i smile a little when i see a kap kneeling or others protesting during anthems. remember tommie smith and john carlos in the olympics in 1968, anyone? even as a 13yr old, i remember thinking that it was ok, and i'm a pretty right-leaning dude. we fought a lot of wars to keep freedom alive and i have zero problems with what happens in a national anthem, as we fought for that right. i believe it's bringing light to injustice in their mind, which is fine w/me. i like people having opinions and being passionate, if that is their honest opinion. having said that, i do admit that i want to personally go ape-öööö on their ass when someone burns a flag, but alas that is their right as well.

it's like anything else in this country..it's partially media-induced. same reason that celebrity opinion matters now...it's also media-induced hype. but they have their rights also, and if they want to share their celebrity opinion on something....well, we fought for that also! we can also vote with our wallet and have the ability to stop paying for tickets or shut off the tube, if it bothers us that much. some will choose to, i probably will not. unless some ass-hat has a bic lighter.
Sure.

Problem is these days the lunatic ideas like infringing on the Bill of Rights are amplified by social media. Traditional media has been bought up by giant conglomerates. Theses media conglomerates generally act in lockstep with the Democrats and government institutions. The Republicans aren't necessarily immune to the bending to corporate America, but they do not want to take away the one major thing that keeps government goon squads from dragging people out of their houses- guns. So while you say it's partially media-induced you are correct, the problem is now more than ever the media is backing the people that want to take the guns. That should worry you as someone who values freedom.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
The players can be relegated to the locker room.

Have heard discussion about what will happen when 1/2 the band takes a knee, or even more of what will happen when some AD decides not to play the National Anthem of The United States of America at all?

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
Personally I don’t care, but I’ve never understood why we play the national anthem at sporting events.

Not sure why adults playing children’s games needs a patriotic bent. The NFL is the absolute worst about it.