Poll: Do You Like Politics In Your Sports?

Do you like politics in your sports?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTRules

You’re Mamma
the funny part is the 0 votes, answer 5 (when they agree w/me) is the true answer, if most were honest.

i'm older than i used to be, surprisingly, but different in that even as a 60+ yr old, i smile a little when i see a kap kneeling or others protesting during anthems. remember tommie smith and john carlos in the olympics in 1968, anyone? even as a 13yr old, i remember thinking that it was ok, and i'm a pretty right-leaning dude. we fought a lot of wars to keep freedom alive and i have zero problems with what happens in a national anthem, as we fought for that right. i believe it's bringing light to injustice in their mind, which is fine w/me. i like people having opinions and being passionate, if that is their honest opinion. having said that, i do admit that i want to personally go ape-öööö on their ass when someone burns a flag, but alas that is their right as well.

it's like anything else in this country..it's partially media-induced. same reason that celebrity opinion matters now...it's also media-induced hype. but they have their rights also, and if they want to share their celebrity opinion on something....well, we fought for that also! we can also vote with our wallet and have the ability to stop paying for tickets or shut off the tube, if it bothers us that much. some will choose to, i probably will not. unless some ass-hat has a bic lighter.
My favorite memory from that olympics was George Foreman waving an American flag in the ring when he won the gold.

He recognized what a great country he lived in, warts and all.

moochie

Varsity Lurker
Sure.

Problem is these days the lunatic ideas like infringing on the Bill of Rights are amplified by social media. Traditional media has been bought up by giant conglomerates. Theses media conglomerates generally act in lockstep with the Democrats and government institutions. The Republicans aren't necessarily immune to the bending to corporate America, but they do not want to take away the one major thing that keeps government goon squads from dragging people out of their houses- guns. So while you say it's partially media-induced you are correct, the problem is now more than ever the media is backing the people that want to take the guns. That should worry you as someone who values freedom.[/QUOTE

Agree with all you said. Good rant and points.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
Politics in sports are stupid. However, sports in politics....yes yes now we're on to something. I think Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell should have to stand in the goal sans pads while the entire redwings roster shoots pucks at them. The winner gets to automatically pass their bill in the opposite chamber.

Or yes this is better. The presidential election is like American Gladiator, except...no it is EXACTLY like American Gladiator. Both Trump and Biden has to versus starla and turbo in powerball before climbing the wall while laser and nitro chases them. Of course the winner is ultimately determined by whoever can crawl through the eliminator without dying.

Oh yeah sports in politics....

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I think the NFL is the ultimate meritocracy. Kaepernick didnt get blackballed solely because of his protest. Not team will sign him cause he’s not that good and definitely not worth the trouble.

NFL teams will sign wife beaters, rapists, murders, etc. if they can help them win. But if you kinda suck and also have baggage, no one is going to go to bat for you.

In his heart, Kaep knows this. And he’s doing financially alright for himself, so it’s easy for him to turn down what offers he had for backup QB tryouts.
Nah. Kaepernick may not be starter quality for many teams but at the time he began kneeling he was clearly better than probably half the QBs in active NFL rosters. If not for the other issues a team would need to deal with be would have been signed. Now I don’t know whether he’s worth the trouble but at the time he was good enough.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If the only thing you know that brings you notice is how you play a child's game then shut up and play. You are not any sort of "expert" and your opinion is no more important than mine, which I don't foist on anybody outside of message boards.You are an iota more relevant that people who make their living pretending to be someone else.

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
Personally I don’t care, but I’ve never understood why we play the national anthem at sporting events.

Not sure why adults playing children’s games needs a patriotic bent. The NFL is the absolute worst about it.
You're serious? You don't understand why the national anthem is played at sporting events? Man, this younger generation scares me.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
The exact opposite of Mohammed Ali who hated everything about America.
You might not agree on anything that Ali said or did, but he was true to himself and his beliefs. He knew what his stance would cost him , but he never wavered and did not bitch or complain about the penalty! That's way more than most prima donna athletes today would do!

Fredge

Younger than Coit
You might not agree on anything that Ali said or did, but he was true to himself and his beliefs. He knew what his stance would cost him , but he never wavered and did not bitch or complain about the penalty! That's way more than most prima donna athletes today would do!
What does the Quran say about womanizing?
Ali impressively picked out the parts of the book he really liked and ignored others.
Hero.

Like the Christian bakers who refuse to bake a cake for gay weddings but don't dare ask a heterosexual couple if they've engaged in premarital sex.
Heroes.

In short, everyone is a ööööing hypocrite.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
I have a question for all the name-purging going on...if you donate to have a building named after you or something and your name gets "cleansed" 10 years later, does the school have to legally return the donation?

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
What does the Quran say about womanizing?
Ali impressively picked out the parts of the book he really liked and ignored others.
Hero.

Like the Christian bakers who refuse to bake a cake for gay weddings but don't dare ask a heterosexual couple if they've engaged in premarital sex.
Heroes.

In short, everyone is a ööööing hypocrite.
This is the stupidest post I’ve ever seen on Stingtalk. The Bible, and the Koran, both acknowledge that we are all sinners. By your standard, you can’t open your mouth unless you’re perfect. So shut the öööö up.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
You're serious? You don't understand why the national anthem is played at sporting events? Man, this younger generation scares me.
Why not explain it then? I’m 63 and while it doesn’t bother me I’ve never understood it either.

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
Just as long as they don’t rename the Butts-Mehre. That has to be the most appropriately named building in the USG.
Butts coached the dwags until 1960. All of his teams were all-white. So were Dodd’s. So if they go after one of them, they’ll be going after both of them. Personally I think that would be ridiculous, but nothing surprises me anymore.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
So if so many of you don't like politics in your sports talk, why are so many of you talking about politics on this sports forum?

This thread is about talking about talking about politics, not about talking about politics. So don't talk about politics ITT. That is veey unpopular.

Mods, lock if you wish. I've made a number of my points. But don't eradicate it.