Poor officiating robs Miami

G

Guest1066

Once again, some half blind old man who has trouble following the speed of the game totally throws away a years worth of work for one team..

5 seconds after miami wins the game a magical flag gets thrown. Were these ACC officials? I wish I wouldn't even have watched the game now.

I am glad this college season is over. It has sucked worse and in more ways than any I can remember that Bill Lewis wasn't involved in.

wtf.gif

Yep. Not that anyone cares what I think, but I am refusing to recognize Ohio State as the national champs. That was a horrible call.

Who knows how the game would have played out had they called it correctly, but Ohio State also got a gift of 3 points when the officials gave them back the ball after Taylor had intercepted it and Clarett supposedly took it away from him. How could they give the ball to Ohio State when Taylor's hands were never off the ball?

Seriously, how often are there plays where a defender gets in there and has his hands on the ball? It happens all the time, but they don't give the ball to the defense just because they had their hands on the ball. They have to actually remove it completely from the offensive player's hands.

Me too. Wish I hadn't wasted my time watching a game that the officials would decide who they wanted to win and go out to make sure it happened.

I think it was a bad call too, but those happen. It happens to every team. It'll even itself out.

We got a bad call when Suggs tackled Sanford Samuels at midfield this year, but it was a no call and he scored on the play.

Bad calls even up at some point. What goes around comes around.

Ohio State had a dream season at 14-0, but if you remember the Outback Bowl last year, Ohio State led South Carolina 28-0 and lost 31-28 in Overtime.

Purdue led UGA 22-0 or 25-0 and lost in OT when they got a bad call on a field goal that went straight over the post.

It'll even up.

Agree, it ruined the game, sure to be a major controversy in coming days. Also agree with Adam on the Clarett steal. He never took it away. Rule says if offensive man has piece of ball its his. Apparently, official took it too literally giving ball to original offensive team on the play, OSU.

Really bad thing for college football.

And I don't like the Canes a bit.

Bad call in the end zone did place a black mark on this game. Don't really understand how ref waving incomplete was overruled on the play. I don't care for the Canes either but this just plain was not right and the NCAA should admit as much.

Did you notice that they had the head of NCAA officials on after the ball was stripped from Miami and he said it was a good call.

Hmmm - wonder why they didn't have him back on after the interference call? Wonder what he would have said? Would have been hilarious if he had caused a first class uproar by stating the call was wrong and the close official should not have been waved off.

I agree with the post. In addition to the silly BCS hope and prayer system, the next greates tragedy in sports is the atrocious officiating from week to week in college football. Like the lack of playoffs, stuff like this happens, goes away and nothing ever gets done about it. This one is baffling because the play wasn't even that close. The coverup mentioned is hilarious. Announcers moved on and never raised it again and like the ACC, the head guy goes into quick damage control over the supposed takeaway. Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about that at Tech, our games won't be close enough for us to complain that officiating was to blame.

Officiating is an integral part of any sport. The great thing about officials is they are human. Just like the coaches, players and fans. Yes they do make mistakes and occasionally miss calls. 99% of the time slow motion replay will show an official to be correct on a close call. If he is not correct, most of the time it takes the slow motion replay to prove him wrong. A luxury the official does not have on the field. He must make a split second decision based on the angle he had on the play. Believe me the angle is everything. You can have four different angles and have four different calls.

As for the officials causing Miami to lose, I hardly think so. There were a lot of close calls/no calls in the game that went for either side. The no call on a Miami player early in the game when he hit an OSU player in the face. Should have been a 15 yard penalty and ejection from the game. Late in the game a Miami defender grabs an OSU receivers jersey stretches it out yet no interference is called. Why were these missed? I can’t explain it other than an official can’t see everything. There were 131 plays during the game not counting the ones that were repeated because of penalties. With 22 players on the field for each play that means there were at least 2282 opportunities for calls by the officials. Say they missed 5 calls. That means they missed .001% of their calls. Do you do as well in your chosen hobby? How about in your chosen profession?

Something else that factors into the outcome of the game is the performance of the team is play calling, turnovers, missed blocks, missed tackles, poorly thrown passes, running incorrect routes, running backs going the wrong way, broken plays, etc. Miami had 5 turnovers, 3 fumbles and 2 ints (at least two of these deep in their own territory), to two ints by OSU. Miami was also sacked 4 times to OSU’s one. Miami only had 6 penalties for 30 yards compared to OSU’s 9 for 49 yards. Look at this and you would think the officials were pulling for OSU. Time of possession OSU 31:27, Miami 28:33.

How many times were plays sent in that resulted in a loss? How many times were the incorrect plays sent in? How about OSU’s fake field goal? Was that a good call? Kick that one and the game doesn’t even go to overtime.

When you look at mistakes made in play calling, execution, penalties, etc it is easy to blame the officials for the outcome of a game. That way the players, coaches and fans don’t have to take responsibility for their judgments during the course of the contest. And that seems to be the problem with most everything in sports today. No one taking responsibility for their failures.

By the way, I have no love for either team that played last night. Both could have lost for all I care.

As for the ACC officiating this year, I agree it was sub par. I thought the quality of the calls were about the same as usual. However the mechanics and game management of the officials was very poor. When this happens the crew looks bad and the calls appear to be even worse even though they may be good calls. I have written a letter to John Swofford and Tommy Hunt at the ACC expressing my opinions. Have you?

Originally posted by OfficiallyBuzz:
To everyone who made a post here: They make striped shirts in your size.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL, officially!

Don't forget that on the last possession, Miami had 1st and Goal on the two and couldn't get it in.

If you are truly a champion, you can't allow officiating to determine the outcome of the game.

BTW, has anyone checked on the status of Columbus, Ohio? Is it still there?

Officiating is a thankless task and I do honestly appreciate those (OfficallyBuzz) who take of their time to oversee these contests.

That being said the bad calls are still just as bad. I'm sure the Ohio State folks aren't looking back but those were two of the worst calls I've seen in a couple of years. Clarett wound up with the ball after he finished wrestling it away from the Miami player, after they were down on the ground, quite naturally the ref gives it to the defense (?). 4th down in OT, OSU throws a routine incomplete pass. Game over. But no, wait, a ref quite naturally throws a late interference flag to keep OSU alive (?). Both stinkeroo type calls. Both heavily weighted in OSU's favor. Both calls directly affected the outcome. Absolute hogwash! I don't care how tough the official's job is there OUGHT to be an inquiry. There won't be nor will there ever be until the NCAA or whoever is in charge of this buffoonery takes action. Miami won the game however they were overuled by the officials (?)
Something ain't right. Oh, well if it's broke don't fix it.

I have no particular regard for either program (I pulled slightly for OSU in the first half and slightly for Miami in the second) but the boneheaded officiating struck a nerve.

I watched a replay this morning of the pass interference call in the end zone. The flag is thrown by the Field Judge from the back of the end zone. He is not even in the picture. You can see the flag coming in before the players hit the ground. It was thrown from at least 10 yards away so hardly a late flag. But the announcers stated it was and I have learned over the years that they are always right (tongue in cheek).

Originally posted by gnats 67:
Clarett wound up with the ball after he finished wrestling it away from the OSU player, after they were down on the ground, quite naturally the ref gives it to the defense (?).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">First of all Clarett plays offense for OSU so if he wrestled the ball from an OSU player it would naturally be their ball. If the ref had given it to the defense it would have been Miami’s ball. I am not trying to be a jerk by correcting you here. I am just trying to demonstrate how easy it is to make a mistake and then be criticized publicly. Remember what I said about the angle of view on the play – it is everything. On the angle of the replay I saw it appeared that the two players had joint possession of the ball. If that is the case then the ball goes to the team that had the original possession. In this case Miami. However the camera angle I saw was 180 degrees different from the one the official saw. Maybe he saw it different or maybe it was a missed call. One missed call by the official. Five turnovers by Miami. Where does the blame lie?

Personally I think both calls were correct. Clarrett definately stripped the ball away from the Miami player and had more control of the ball when they hit the ground. (I read OfficallyBuzz's post and perhaps I'm wrong on the rules but I thought the ball was coming loose when Clarrett hit the ball. Therefore, wouldn't whoever had control of the ball when they hit the ground be awarded the ball? Clarrett definately had control when they hit the ground and almost had complete possession. At least that is what I saw.)

Also, while I'm not sure pass interference should have been called on the play in the endzone, holding definately should have been. The Miami player was all over him and the DB coach for Miami even admitted to telling his players to do that because, as he said, "no ref will call it". Well guess what. They did.

Finally, I guess you forget about the imcomplete pass call against OSU on their last possession of the game. It was a catch and it would have been a first down. OSU would have then had a chance to run out the clock and thus prevent Miami's game tying field goal.

The fact is that in any game you are going to have close calls. Perhaps the 11 1/2 point favorite shouldn't have let it get to that point.

I'm not a fan of either teams but it sure seems like some people are seeing what they want to see. Perhaps some money was lost.
smile.gif

It did appear the call in the end zone was a bad one, but, I am sure there were many no-calls and bad calls the other way too.

If Miami was the champion, they should have never let the ball game go that far and risk losing it. It was a tough game between two good teams and two good coaches and Ohio State won this one.

I wonder if a bad play over the past few years has caused Ohio State to lose a national championship? It only takes one game during a season to knock you out of the championship game.

Maybe this game was their pay-back for losing out on a previous chance.

wink.gif

My main point is about not confronting the obvious blown calls head on, insinuating us dopes out here in the stands and on tv can't see and don't understand. Officially, no offense to you cause I'm sure you do your best, but overall the difference between the pro's, who get it right most of the time, and college, where we have controversy almost every week, is too large to ignore.

I'm still pissed off at that call that gave Ga. and Bobo a new set of downs at BDS. Not one ref or official as yet to state that it was a ripoff of the first to degree. To Hell With Georgia and to hell with any referee who helps them. Yeah, Yeah, it was years ago, move on and all that, I'm just here to say it happens all over the place and with the billions pouring into college football they need to tell Nike or somebody if they want to continue to get a piece of the action to contribute some $$ to training some refs.

Like anything else, the good refs need this too, cause the bad apples are ruining the whole system. In the meantime, I'd put my best people in the secondary, cause that's where the blind mice are causing the most harm.

What makes sports great is it is played by humans therefore there will be mistakes. Missed calls by coaches, players and officials alike. Everyone involved should be giving 100%. If not get rid of them. No matter how good a coach, player or official is he/she will make a mistake sooner or later.

Another great thing about sports is the coaches, players and fans can blame the official for their loss and not take any responsibility for poor coaching or poor playing, i.e. Miami’s 5 turnovers. Officials are trained to keep their heads up and ignore the abuse whether it is justified or not. And 99% of the time it is not justified. We simply remember that “Officiating is the only profession you must start out perfect and then improve.”

BTW I haven’t heard any of you screaming about the missed call on the fumble at the goal line in the Ugag game a few years ago. Is it that bad calls only go against your team and never for them?

And yes, I do yell at the officials on occasion at games. I have officiated at the college level and am embarrassed by some of the calls I see due to poor mechanics, game management or lack of hustle.

The issue is not who won the game, or what happened before that, or who had the most turnovers, the issue is simply that it was a bad call and it is incredible that such a call could be made on the last (?) play of the national championship game.

There are a lot of people trying to rationalize why OSU deserved to win, or how the ref interpreted this or that. Bottom line, either you call it like it is and hold the ref accountable or you play the excuse game and protect the bugger.

"In the last two years, the Big 12 has issued at least two known letters of apology after games where Porter has made controversial calls."
--ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/fiesta_thecall.html

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
The issue is not who won the game, or what happened before that, or who had the most turnovers, the issue is simply that it was a bad call and it is incredible that such a call could be made on the last (?) play of the national championship game.

There are a lot of people trying to rationalize why OSU deserved to win, or how the ref interpreted this or that. Bottom line, either you call it like it is and hold the ref accountable or you play the excuse game and protect the bugger.

"In the last two years, the Big 12 has issued at least two known letters of apology after games where Porter has made controversial calls."
--ESPN.com
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree about accountability. I also hope the official who screwed up the call that kept Miami in the game at the end of regulation will also get punished.
tongue.gif

Back