Position coaches....QB coach? WR's?

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Position coaches....QB coach? WR\'s?

1) With the poor, or medicore, play of special teams this year despite returning three of the best legs in the county...does anyone agree we should go back to having another position coach handling special teams at the same time...and bring in a position coach that does nothing but work with QB's? The BOB could focus 100% on game plan and overall execution. I just did not see any lift by having a dedicated ST coach.

2) After some solid years with Hixon, and better years with Kelly, I am concerned that this year we saw routes that were rounded and not sharp, dropped balls, poor reads, and a lack of awareness of the field position (first down markers for instance). To me...each of these items do not reflect the players as much as preparedness.

Re: Position coaches....QB coach? WR\'s?

I thought that with a coach dedicated to nothing but special teams we would have a better than average if not good year. But we could be sitting here 5-7 so I guess we had better cut our losses and be content for this year. A solid offseason is key, however.

We have special teams coach named Tommy Raye.

Hiveredtech, I have stated many times, I am convinced Nix will be the offensive coordinator next year. He was a very good QB at Auburn, and he has shown his offenses are effective in past coaching years.

He is coaching the backs and maybe tight ends at this time. He has done a good job there this year. When a back is injured, he has plugged in another one, and, for the most part, they have performed pretty well. It appears to be a no-brainer that Nix will be the quarterback coach next year.

I agree we need to look at the wide receiver coaching position. It is unclear as to his inneffectiveness or the timing between QB and WR. There is also possibly some internal player problems.

The special teams has been a complete failure. It is a joke in my estimation. I agree, we need to do something here.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Hiveredtech, I have stated many times, I am convinced Nix will be the offensive coordinator next year. He was a very good QB at Auburn, and he has shown his offenses are effective in past coaching years.

He is coaching the backs and maybe tight ends at this time. He has done a good job there this year. When a back is injured, he has plugged in another one, and, for the most part, they have performed pretty well. It appears to be a no-brainer that Nix will be the quarterback coach next year.

I agree we need to look at the wide receiver coaching position. It is unclear as to his inneffectiveness or the timing between QB and WR. There is also possibly some internal player problems.

The special teams has been a complete failure. It is a joke in my estimation. I agree, we need to do something here.

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think the biggest miskate Gailey made when putting together his staff was not to retain David Kelly. He was a good WR coach and an excellent recruiter.

Ahoisee
I like Nix a lot too...but I do not understand what you see in his past as far as experience. He is younger than O'Brien and was never a coordinator at a decent sized school. I do not have the bio in front of me...but wasn't he only an OC for one year at Samford.
...not to say he will not be one in the future...I like him.
Plus...O'Brien was dealt more bad blows this year from the QB and #1 WR graduating, Burns flunking out, 5 TB's going down, and a banged up offensive line.

Back