potential recruits for 2007 class

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
I know it is early and a lot will change as it is a long way to February. But you have to think things look good for the following. Keep in mind that many of these kids are still going through transcript reviews by The Hill.

QB- Josh Nesbitt
RB- Roddy Jones
RB- Jonathan Dwyer
WR- Sydney Haynes
TE- Nicolai Shwarzkopf (I think we offer him soon)
OL- Joseph Gilbert
OT- Nic Claytor
DL- Logan Walls (FSU is visiting him this week)
DL- Patrick Jones (if we offer)
DE- Patrick Hampton (if we offer)
DE- Tony Tucker
LB/DE- Sacoby Carter (if grades & test are there)
LB- Casey Matthews
LB- Brad Jefferson
S/LB- Lorenzo Edwards
S/WR- Jerrard Tarrant
CB/WR- Cedric Everson

Could we get commitments from?-
QB- Steven Threet(is he waiting on Mich or Mich St?)
RB- Caleb King (if grades & test get there)
WR- DJ Donley (we are moving up strong; UGA to beat)
WR- Willie White (one of top five)
TE- David Duran (do we offer?)
TE- Brandon Lampkin (do we offer?)
OT- Chris Little (making our move; in top five)
C- Mason Cloy (one of top five)
DT- Dion Armstrong (if we offer)br>SS/FS- Danorris Searcy (do we end up offering him?)
CB- Mario Butler
tons of other DB's

There are a bunch of others that have made good combine showings, and others that will show a lot at camps. So, many more could pop up. Some of these above could get destroyed by The Hill as well, it happens every year. At any rate, we are off to a great start!

As of now we have 11 seniors and 77 on scholarship that are every year scholarship renewals (unless something goes awfully wrong).

Under the 79 limitation by the NCAA that would give us a total of 13 to give. However, it is believed we could get as many as 82 after appeal. That would give us 16 to give.

Then you have the probability of a couple playere that are teetering with injuries (figure 2) and several that always flirt with academics (figure 2) and then there is the inevitable transfer (figure 1). That gives you 5 more and could take us to 21.

Then you have the Calvin going pro deal. That could be another.

Worst case scenario is 13 which would really hurt. More likely to end up around 20.

Hivered: Do you know if every school offering Josh Nesbitt a scholarship is doing so as a quarterback? As great of an athlete as Nesbitt is I'm not certain quarterback is the position for him in any offense except a wide open one like he runs at Greene County.

Are we still in good for Lorenzo Edwards? We're not on his Scout list anymore. He seems like a smart kid that plays a great game of football, but something tells me he's going to end up going to one of the bigger schools.

And on Nesbitt, I'm sure a lot of schools are telling him QB, but they're thinking S. I'm guessing UGa is thinking that....

And if we sign all the guys on that list, we'll definately be top 25 in recruiting. Probably 4 or 5 4/5* players(I see Nesbitt, Dwyer, Edwards, and Everson as definate 4*, and a few of the other ones could move up) , and not many of them below 3*

We've done pretty well getting the under the radar guys, but it seems like we've taken a step up in the recruiting world.

Re: Edwards

For some reason, he's not reflected as having an offer on Scout or Rivals, but in the articles, he says: "I have an offer from Georgia Tech..." So, I guess you can chalk that up to laziness on the part of the recruiting services.

Anyway, about a month ago, Edwards was quoted as saying that Florida, Notre Dame, and GT were teams he wanted to learn more about. It sounded like we were in his Top 3, but he's been getting a lot of attention lately, so I don't know if we're still in his top 3.

[ QUOTE ]
Hivered: Do you know if every school offering Josh Nesbitt a scholarship is doing so as a quarterback? As great of an athlete as Nesbitt is I'm not certain quarterback is the position for him in any offense except a wide open one like he runs at Greene County.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stateline, you of all people shouldn't be talking about moving a 5* QB to another position, especially with your stance on moving Bilbo (who was a 4* QB) to another position. It seems kinda hypocritical.

[ QUOTE ]

Stateline, you of all people shouldn't be talking about moving a 5* QB to another position, especially with your stance on moving Bilbo (who was a 4* QB) to another position. It seems kinda hypocritical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

Beernutts: Every football player who is a possible recruit has to have their abilities looked at individually. There is nothing hypocritical about that.

Stateline

I think we like him at whatever position he wants to play. Once he comes in he has to earn a starting position. He is a super athlete that many see as a future NFL safety.

He could walk in day one and have a bigger impact at other positions rather than QB, but that does not mean he could not be a big-time QB with work on mechanics, a more complicated offense, and stiffer defensive competition than Greene County faces in 2A.

One thing is sure, Georgia Tech wants Nesbitt to be a yellow jacket badly!

Hivered: I didn't say Josh Nesbitt couldn't make it at quarterback at Georgia Tech. Just not certain.

But for Nesbitt to eventually be a starting at quarterback at this level would involve a huge commitment of time and effort on his part and a complete change in the offensive philosophy on the part of Tech.

Yes, I want him at Georgia Tech also, but with an open mind as to where he can best excell, whether it be at quarterback, another offensive position, or on defense.

All I believe is that we lead for him...not sure when he will commit to someone.

We lead heavy for other kids that have offers from us as well like Claytor, Walls, Haynes, Jones, Jefferson, etc.

A few things in response. We have changed our offensive philosophy and that's all that can be said now. A clue to that would be reading the AJC article on Nix taking over the play calling. We want Nesbitt as a qb and he will fit in with what we are doing.

Secondly we will have two or three more scholarships available from scholarship players who are no longer on the squad.

If Calvin leaves early, it would effect the 2008 class not this class. Also, some kids say they have offers when they really don't. It has nothing to do with the recruiting services. They may be getting letters and phone calls but they don't have the actual written offer.

Finally, to give you an idea of how many kids we are involved with, I have been compiling my hotlist on Scout based on medium or high interest. As of today, I have 48 recruits on my list. This list does not include any prospect that names another school as his leader. Geoff and Giff have done a great job in identifying players earlier and not being afraid to go after anyone.

Great job by hivered in pointing out how we've stepped up our recruiting this year.

atlantapanther: You haven't got to sell me that our recruiting has stepped up another level(or 3). I got kicked off of another board for believing so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif But how will Josh Nesbitt fit in with what we are doing on offense at quarterback? I have the Greene County-Charlton County game on tape and I don't see it. This is not a flame or a hit and run, just an honest observation.

A question for panther...

If Nesbitt is being pursued because he'll be a good fit for our offense, then what will become of Bennett, Garner, Manley, and Ingram?

Reading between the lines of your post, I'd imagine that those QBs won't fit in the new system.

It's refreshing to see so many names & to have 2 verbals at this point in the game (recruiting season). I hope that these early committs will continue to create a positive "spin" on the atmosphere at GT & continue to send the message out to these recruits that GT is in the midst of creating something special....(while continueing a great football tradition)....I would love to see a few more guys that are really close go ahead and give us a verbal...It would be awesome to have 4-5 verbals headed into the summer. It will create a sense of urgency for our recruits to committ or possibly miss out on their opportunity! Hats off to the coaches & new recruiting coaches...we're off to a GREAT start, may the positive news keep rolling in & may our recruits stand firm once they committ & continue to do their part academically to remain fully qualified!!!
Keep it up guys & let's make 2007's recruiting class one for the record books! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duel.gif I hope the guys that are on the verge of committing go ahead and step up & make it known that they want to be part of something special @ "GT"!

[ QUOTE ]
If Calvin leaves early, it would effect the 2008 class not this class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed in general, but if the coaches have a good idea he is going to go as signing day approaches, they would then know his scholarship would be free before the Feb. 2007 signing class enrolls in fall 2007. Calvin would be off scholarship prior to fall 2007 if he leaves early.

Back