Potential way around the GOR via ESPN

GTME87

Varsity Lurker
This is this a theory and I think makes a good case for some Teams to leave the ACC.

1) The ACC does not own the GOR - ESPN does.
2) ESPN is shedding cost and based on PAC 12 TV deal issues - the demand for live college football has saturated the market, with the exception of the streaming market which no conference wants to be all in for lack of exposure exposure
3) ESPN has the SEC, ACC, part of the BIG 12 and some smaller conference games (AAC, etc). ESPN has more content than they need- they sold ACC content to Bally now going to the CW.
4) ESPN may allow some ACC schools to leave for the cost savings. For example, they let 4 ACC schools leave - they save 4 x $35 million - ~~ $140 million a year.
5) The ACC still has 10 schools and maybe they add 4 teams from the PAC 12 to give ESPN late night content - which they do not have.
6) These "4" teams still have to pay the $120 M buyout, but no GOR (the schools do not lose their TV rights)
7) of course none of this would work for the SEC as ESPN has these rights so why pay more for the same teams, but this leaves the door wide open for the BIG10 with FOX, NBC, BIG10 network.

1690765774606.gif

This is this a theory and I think makes a good case for some Teams to leave the ACC.

2) ESPN is shedding cost and based on PAC 12 TV deal issues - the demand for live college football has saturated the market, with the exception of the streaming market which no conference wants to be all in for lack of exposure exposure
3) ESPN has the SEC, ACC, part of the BIG 12 and some smaller conference games (AAC, etc). ESPN has more content than they need- they sold ACC content to Bally now going to the CW.
4) ESPN may allow some ACC schools to leave for the cost savings. For example, they let 4 ACC schools leave - they save 4 x $35 million - ~~ $140 million a year.
5) The ACC still has 10 schools and maybe they add 4 teams from the PAC 12 to give ESPN late night content - which they do not have.
6) These "4" teams still have to pay the $120 M buyout, but no GOR (the schools do not lose their TV rights)
7) of course none of this would work for the SEC as ESPN has these rights so why pay more for the same teams, but this leaves the door wide open for the BIG10 with FOX, NBC, BIG10 network.
The GOR is nothing but a contract. When parties enter a contract, they both own it. What are you talking about?

Not to mention, the GOR is an agreement between the schools and the conference. ESPN isn't a party to the GOR.

The GOR is nothing but a contract. When parties enter a contract, they both own it. What are you talking about?

Not to mention, the GOR is an agreement between the schools and the conference. ESPN isn't a party to the GOR.
Agree it is a contract and both parties sign it, but the purpose of the GOR is to protect ESPN not the ACC. If FSU were to leave next week, the ACC would not suffer, ESPN would as they lose the content. ESPN owns the content - not the ACC and ESPN can release the content if a school wanted to leave and ESPN agreed.

Already a thread for this. And no, your post wasn’t so insightful that it deserved its own thread.

I guess you bowl as well.

Really, All I was trying to do was make a post - my third since 2007 and nothing but nothing but stupid attacks and no response of merit. If you don't like the post ignore it and it will die.
Gotta have a thick skin around here

Gotta have a thick skin around here
Agree - been a member since 2007 and love to read the Posts and rarely respond and only posted 3 times. ME Grad 1987. At least so far no one has had sex recently with my mom who died 6 years ago - LOL. - Must be a lack of shovels

Agree it is a contract and both parties sign it, but the purpose of the GOR is to protect ESPN not the ACC. If FSU were to leave next week, the ACC would not suffer, ESPN would as they lose the content. ESPN owns the content - not the ACC and ESPN can release the content if a school wanted to leave and ESPN agreed.

The ACC wouldn't suffer if one of its most popular and high profile teams left?

ESPN has a long term lease on the content, they don't own it. The ACC would be hurt because ESPN could likely cancel their lease and the ACC would have a less marketable product to go to market with.

The ACC wouldn't suffer if one of its most popular and high profile teams left?
Well the assumption is that ESPN is trying to unload content to save money as they already have more content than they can put out (they have sold secondary rights to Bally/CW already). The ACC contract is a bargain, so they could let a few teams go and not have to pay for these rights. The remaining teams still get the same payout - so the ACC from a dollar standpoint per team loses nothing and ESPN saves money.

I am not saying this will happen - just a thought with the ESPN/Disney situation and Disney saying they may spin off ESPN

ESPN has a long term lease on the content, they don't own it. The ACC would be hurt because ESPN could likely cancel their lease and the ACC would have a less marketable product to go to market with.
ESPN owns the content till ~ 2036. They have already sold content to Bally and now resold to CW (ACC has no control over ESPN selling secondary rights)

• Hobson : Thank you for a memorable afternoon, usually one must go to a bowling alley to meet a woman of your stature.
Arthur the Movie 1981 - I stole the line - see the movie - pretty good
You and that movie probably sucks you cargo homo jackwing useless. I like bowling shoes. Will you to taste? Accepting, then see you behind alley alley for un-belting, unzips, unpants, and the like and yes with bowling shoes still on. Your best quality not ACC what ifs. Best at sucking.

You and that movie probably sucks you cargo homo jackwing useless. I like bowling shoes. Will you to taste? Accepting, then see you behind alley alley for un-belting, unzips, unpants, and the like and yes with bowling shoes still on. Your best quality not ACC what ifs. Best at sucking.
I remember when I had my first beer

Back