Potential way around the GOR via ESPN

I guess you bowl as well.

Really, All I was trying to do was make a post - my third since 2007 and nothing but nothing but stupid attacks and no response of merit. If you don't like the post ignore it and it will die.
960x0.jpg

eb750aed5baacde93be1068f04d756c8.jpg

You and that movie probably sucks you cargo homo jackwing useless. I like bowling shoes. Will you to taste? Accepting, then see you behind alley alley for un-belting, unzips, unpants, and the like and yes with bowling shoes still on. Your best quality not ACC what ifs. Best at sucking.
TL;DR:
968BC9B4-62A1-4A87-B8D0-15DD053B0CD5.gif

Agree it is a contract and both parties sign it, but the purpose of the GOR is to protect ESPN not the ACC. If FSU were to leave next week, the ACC would not suffer, ESPN would as they lose the content. ESPN owns the content - not the ACC and ESPN can release the content if a school wanted to leave and ESPN agreed.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I’m no contract expert but seems reasonable that both the ACC and ESPN benefit from the GoR.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I’m no contract expert but seems reasonable that both the ACC and ESPN benefit from the GoR.

Yes. If the GoR was there only to protect ESPN it would be gone by now, given that it can be dissolved by ACC member schools at any time.

The GoR exists to protect the ACC from its top schools leaving, and the way it accomplished that is by selling its media rights to ESPN at a (now very) attractive rate.

Yes. If the GoR was there only to protect ESPN it would be gone by now, given that it can be dissolved by ACC member schools at any time.

The GoR exists to protect the ACC from its top schools leaving, and the way it accomplished that is by selling its media rights to ESPN at a (now very) attractive rate.

So they’re not mutually exclusive?

So they’re not mutually exclusive?
No, not mutually exclusive. In theory contracts should always be mutually beneficial, right? At least at the time of signing.

Why would anyone sign a contract that only benefited the other party?

Agree it is a contract and both parties sign it, but the purpose of the GOR is to protect ESPN not the ACC. If FSU were to leave next week, the ACC would not suffer, ESPN would as they lose the content. ESPN owns the content - not the ACC and ESPN can release the content if a school wanted to leave and ESPN agreed.
I don't think you understand this as well as you think you do.

If I invent a widget, patent it, and sign a GOR with you to help me mass produce it/sell it, I don't give up ownership of the widget patent. I give you the ability to act as if you do insofar the contract terms are met.

In this case, the schools own their media rights going back to that USSC decision in the mid-80s. The GOR was each school transferring those rights to the ACC with the understanding that ESPN would be distributing them under the proposed media contract. In a way, it worked somewhat like a collective bargaining ploy by the schools. ESPN got the security it wanted because it demonstrated these 14 schools want to stick together. The schools got what they wanted because in return for its long-term security ESPN upped the money pot.

No, not mutually exclusive. In theory contracts should always be mutually beneficial, right? At least at the time of signing.

Why would anyone sign a contract that only benefited the other party?
Got it. Thanks.

Back