profootballtalk.com

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
I'm sorry I can't link to it directly, but scroll down a bit on the "rumor mill" page to see this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

As the Miami Dolphins embark on a second round of interviews with the five finalists for their head-coaching gig, we're told that the frontrunners are Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Our guess? Gailey will be the preferred choice, because the head-coaching job apparently (based on the things Pete Carroll said last week) will still entail full if not total control over the football operations. Schottenheimer is simply too young and inexperienced to wield such power, with only one year as an offensive coordinator under his belt.

And we're not ruling out in any way an eventual baton-passing from Gailey to Coach Chin, whether it's in 2008, 2009, or thereafter. The table will be set in South Florida for Cowher to return, and with the absence of a salary cap for coaching staffs owner Wayne Huizenga likely can get all of the chefs to co-exist by filling their pockets with lots of cash.

Based on published reports, the five finalists are Gailey, Schottenheimer, Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, former Falcons coach Jim Mora, and Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. Cameron is also expected to be a favorite to replace Marty Schottenheimer, if the veteran coach is dumped by the Chargers. If that happens, Marty could take Cameron's spot on the Dolphins' dance card.

Stay tuned.

So, what I brushed off as much ado about nothing has become at the very least a serious possibility. If you have a Hiver insider account, there's plenty of good information hidden in the longer threads. I'll leave it at that.

Back