QB Sliding

I know it is the smart thing to do now but when is the last time you saw a GT QB slide? Especially when its 3rd down. Maybe I'm old (I'm 31) but I did not enjoy seeing this. CGC preaches a culture of grit and passion but having a QB pull up to go OB or slide doesn't reflect that tone to the rest of the team. Sometimes it takes a hard run or someone going above and beyond to get the team to believe.

On the other hand I may be too critical. It seems gaining an extra yard in the triple option was much more important than our new offense. The difference between 2nd & 7 vs 2nd & 6 was huge in the triple option but may not be under Patenaude.

Seems we have gone from a "punch them in the mouth/do your job" mentality to a "play hard and flash brilliance" tone. Both good concepts, just hard to adjust to.

iiwii
Culture isn't changed in one season. It takes time, and some players of the old system will not buy into it (which is why you always see attrition with regime changes). Once you have upperclassmen that have bought into and exhibit the culture, incoming players will pick it up quickly.

Sliding after the QB gets the first down is demoralizing to a defense. They don’t even get to touch him.

I’m all for it.

Back