Quarterback Questions For The Board

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Everyone focused on Bilbo and Suggs this year, but we've got a few guys on our roster who I'm not convinced should have been out of the mix to begin with.

Landry had similar credentials at QB in Louisiana as Bilbo had in Mississippi. Brian Camp had a sensational high school career in Ohio and threw the ball better than anyone in the spring.

Rather than possibly hand the ball to a freshman, which would be suicide with our schedule - let's open it up - look at the guys like PJDaniels, Clinkscale, even Hollings that came out of nowhere. I think Landry and Camp have the capability of really helping if we had someone to develop them and give them a chance.

First off, I don't care who our QB is as long as he makes plays. From looking at their HS numbers both Landry and Camp threw for 1300-1400 yds. Landry ran for something like 1600 and I think Camp had around 500. Bilbo passed for 3300 yds his senior year and ran for around 300. Now you have to allow for offensive philosophies but there is no comparison on a statistical level. Logan actually was more productive it looks like. He was responsible for something like 47 TDs.

First of all there is huge leap from high school QB to College QB. In fact, there is also a huge leap from college QB to the NFL. Look at all the good college QB's that don't make it in the NFL.

1)On Landry I would not move him again becasue he is going to be a very good safety. I think the nock on both Landry and Logan is arm strength. Logan was moved to receiver under O'Leary and Landry to Safety under Gailey.

2)As far as Brian Camp, the knock on him is he doesn't see the field well. In fact, Ralph Freigen moved him to fullback and after Ralph left O'brien at Camp's request moved him back to QB. I am sure if O'Brien and Gailey think that Camp can help the team at QB he will play.

3) I think the job is Bilbo's for the taking. I think we will see a true freshman before we see AJ on the field at QB next season. I am hoping that Bilbo makes the kind of progress that will enable him to win the job because physically and talent wise no one else we have comes close to him

If Bilbo gets all the reps in spring and pre-season practice that AJ got last season [ as #1 or co-#1 QB], it should help him tremendously. We will be in trouble if we go into next season with anyone other than Bilbo as #1 QB. No matter how good atrue freshman is, it would be very risky to start the season with him. As for Landry, we are in dire need of DBs. If Friedgen did not have enough confidence Camp to put him in, I trust his judgement. Bilbo needs to be told to shape-up, because 2003 is his year. He has got to be the man.

Back