Quarterback

johncu

Dodd-Like
Long ago, back in the heyday of the Hive, many people were saying we had to get a real quarterback, anyone not named Joe Hamilton. As Joe progressed during his RS freshman year, the voices quieted down and after a certain game they were completely hushed. One font's handle was needaqb; he apologized and changed his handle.

Joe had a far better surrounding cast than does James, plus continuation of staff, not an entirely new set of coaches. It's moronic to blame our losses this year on a QB.
It might be moronic to "blame" James Graham, but poor QB play has definitely been a contributing factor in our bad season so far (and 2017 and 2018, tbh).

I was too young to really remember Joe Hamilton's first year as a starter, but I was pretty shocked to see how bad his stats were. Only 7 TDs, but 13 INTs. It's still way too early to give up on Graham. He has lots of athletic ability and a pretty strong arm. With some time to develop pocket presence, I think he could be a pretty good player. And if not, we've got lots of other options. Johnson has experience and is an accurate passer, Yates was a 4* QB, and the incoming freshman may be the best passer of them all. QB is not my biggest concern going forward. I'd rank OL #1 and DL a close #2. In fact, I might put "pass rusher" at #1, just because I think it's the main thing keeping our defense from being consistently good.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
It might be moronic to "blame" James Graham, but poor QB play has definitely been a contributing factor in our bad season so far (and 2017 and 2018, tbh).

I was too young to really remember Joe Hamilton's first year as a starter, but I was pretty shocked to see how bad his stats were. Only 7 TDs, but 13 INTs. It's still way too early to give up on Graham. He has lots of athletic ability and a pretty strong arm. With some time to develop pocket presence, I think he could be a pretty good player. And if not, we've got lots of other options. Johnson has experience and is an accurate passer, Yates was a 4* QB, and the incoming freshman may be the best passer of them all. QB is not my biggest concern going forward. I'd rank OL #1 and DL a close #2. In fact, I might put "pass rusher" at #1, just because I think it's the main thing keeping our defense from being consistently good.
I think the point of Joe H is that players and "teams" sometimes need to develop. The raw materials are there but they need to be refined. Fans are their own worst enemies much of the time because they only see the "results" and not the day to day improvement and potential of players or programs. Also, that the backup QB or the "alternative" is not always better.

In hindsight, Fridge knew exactly what he was doing and had in Joe Ham. Joe had many intangibles that fans don't see: extremely hard worker, extremely competitive. Fridge knew he didn't have to worry about coaching effort with Joe which I'm sure made it easier.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Long ago, back in the heyday of the Hive, many people were saying we had to get a real quarterback, anyone not named Joe Hamilton. As Joe progressed during his RS freshman year, the voices quieted down and after a certain game they were completely hushed. One font's handle was needaqb; he apologized and changed his handle.

Joe had a far better surrounding cast than does James, plus continuation of staff, not an entirely new set of coaches. It's moronic to blame our losses this year on a QB.
Or the offensive coordinator.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like

We better find a kicker also, even 2 if we have to separate FG and KO. We need a guy that can put points on the board at a high percentage, as well as someone that can put the ball in (or through) the end zone. Kickers don't seem like an important piece, unless you don't have one.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
We better find a kicker also, even 2 if we have to separate FG and KO. We need a guy that can put points on the board at a high percentage, as well as someone that can put the ball in (or through) the end zone. Kickers don't seem like an important piece, unless you don't have one.
What's bizarre is that we had a kicker last year who is still on the team, but apparently can't perform anymore. It's really weird.

JRjr

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
What's bizarre is that we had a kicker last year who is still on the team, but apparently can't perform anymore. It's really weird.

JRjr
Ever played golf with someone who has gotten a case of the yips? Pretty something similar has happened to Wells, based on what I observed during warm ups for a few of the games.

gte490v

Dodd-Like
I think tucker Gleason is a 4 star talent.. also Yates was a 4 star dual threat
247 has both of them as 3-stars, granted, they are high 3-stars.

This year Iowa State, Vandy, Iowa, Eastern Carolina, Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue all have commitments from higher ranked pro-style QB's. The 4-star guys are committed to the guys we want to compete with: Clemson, Oregon, Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, Washington, LSU.

Yates was the highest rated dual threat QB under 6' tall last year, height is probably what cost him that 4th star. I have heard some people complain about his arm strength, but I haven't been concerned based on the film I watched. Would like to see him see the field this season, just curious how he looks after months in the program. Seems to be a leader, I think we have 2 PWO from Milton now.

If the young QB's develop appropriately, I do not think any of them will be the limiting factor for the offense the next few years. But, if CGC recruits as well as he thinks, then we'll need to beat out the factories for the 6'4" 225 lb QB's.

BuzzFeitenSystem

It’s Raining BigCrys
247 has both of them as 3-stars, granted, they are high 3-stars.

This year Iowa State, Vandy, Iowa, Eastern Carolina, Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue all have commitments from higher ranked pro-style QB's. The 4-star guys are committed to the guys we want to compete with: Clemson, Oregon, Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, Washington, LSU.

Yates was the highest rated dual threat QB under 6' tall last year, height is probably what cost him that 4th star. I have heard some people complain about his arm strength, but I haven't been concerned based on the film I watched. Would like to see him see the field this season, just curious how he looks after months in the program. Seems to be a leader, I think we have 2 PWO from Milton now.

If the young QB's develop appropriately, I do not think any of them will be the limiting factor for the offense the next few years. But, if CGC recruits as well as he thinks, then we'll need to beat out the factories for the 6'4" 225 lb QB's.
Well that’s why I said talent. Rankings are good and all. But more or less a crapshoot with QBs unless you’re a Trevor Lawrence. Tucker’s film and arm talent is good as anyone in high school. He committed early and didn’t go to any camps.. probably why he’s still a three star. Plus has a UGA offer. Also, Yates was a 4 star on rivals fwiw

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Gleason is the future. None of our current QB’s were recruited by Collins. Gleason is the exact mold of what Collins wants. Our #1 issue is offensive line. Our #2 issue is our defensive line and depth. I love our current defensive linemen but without depth they become less effective each snap. I’m not worried about QB at all because Graham is good and Gleason is coming. Our RB’s are solid with Mason, Amerson, and Griffin with Gibbs coming. Our WR’s will be a strength real soon. Our LB’s and DB’s will be much better next year. Knight is gonna be all-ACC soon.

What we are all watching is what a team looks like who can’t hold blocks and who can’t get consistent pressure on the opposing QB. We’ve seen this before (2015) so I don’t understand why some fans are freaking out.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Well our defense completely shut down Pitt in the second half.
And got needed turnovers in the first half. The only really awful defensive play was the long wildcat TD that broke. We had difficulty covering #2, but he's an exceptional player.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
Some existing raw materials will contribute to a worthwhile finished product one day. The tough part is identifying the specific ones. We may have the best WR corps in school history right now, but until they are able to complete a route and see a ball when and where it is planned, there’s no way in knowing.

Graham is no Freshman phenom, that’s plain to see. He’s young, inexperienced, and frankly, small. I suspect he ended up at Tech because everyone else told him “No” to playing QB. As a result, my expectations are low. Hell, they are low for every QB on our roster.

Put me in the camp that thinks he’s playing a different position his Sr year.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Some existing raw materials will contribute to a worthwhile finished product one day. The tough part is identifying the specific ones. We may have the best WR corps in school history right now, but until they are able to complete a route and see a ball when and where it is planned, there’s no way in knowing.

Graham is no Freshman phenom, that’s plain to see. He’s young, inexperienced, and frankly, small. I suspect he ended up at Tech because everyone else told him “No” to playing QB. As a result, my expectations are low. Hell, they are low for every QB on our roster.

Put me in the camp that thinks he’s playing a different position his Sr year.
I don't know, man. I see a lot of similarities between freshman James Graham and freshman Joe Hamilton. I'm just hoping that upper classman James Graham is anywhere close to upperclassman Joe Hamilton. If so, we're in for a fun ride.