Question for johnson fans

Which quite frankly, more years than not, is the case when you're recruiting and playing 2 and 3 star-quality athletes and competing, in some instances (such as last night) against 3 and 4 star-quality athletes.

It's not lost on me that Clemson is as strong as they've been in years --certainly a top 10 team. And we're just not in their league.

Couldn't have said it better.

I think our band is pretty cool, and I like our mascot. Agree on most other counts.

maybe I went overboard with the band criticism, but I should've added "mascot and fight song" to the list of things that deserve better than our fans.

Let me ask this, CPJ makes a bout $2.7M/yr. Supposing he was feeling the heat and didn't think he get a comparable job somewhere else and thus was willing to take a pay cut to stay the head coach, would you let him stay and what would his new compensation have to be?

this is a bit naïve. People don't care what he makes - if they don't like him now they aren't going to like him at $48,500 per year (all else being equal). conversely, nobody at Bama afaik, grumples about Saban's paycheck and they wouldn't like him anymore if he was only drawing $150k per year.

I'm a Paul Johnson fan but the amount of negative publicity he's brought to Georgia Tech is wearing so ööööing thin. I can't take it much longer.

Can you ellaborate? What negative publicity? That the press doesn't like his Offense? That he isn't a press friendly coach? I don't think there have been really ANY negative situations with players.. though we did win a bunch of public service and civic service awards for players..

Can you ellaborate? What negative publicity? That the press doesn't like his Offense? That he isn't a press friendly coach? I don't think there have been really ANY negative situations with players.. though we did win a bunch of public service and civic service awards for players..

I'm wondering this too.

Don't necessarily love Paul Johnson but I do love Georgia Tech. Since he is our coach, I will support him, our other coaches and our players.

Go Jackets!

I don't know what kind of culture change would need to happen, but something needs to change.

I think some of it is the fact that a lot of alumni didn't particularly enjoy their time at Georgia Tech, and so there isn't the love for the school that other teams with rabid fanbases have.

Winning and winning consistently is the only thing that will attract new fans and keep them.

To do that, the Institute needs to stop holding GT athletes to a higher standard than a) the NCAA requires and b) their competition.

That's what needs to change. I'm sure it won't because this is GT we're talking about, but that's the answer.

I agree with your theory about alumni and the miserable experience that is GT undergrad life compared to most other undergrad lives.

Clemson, UGA, Miami, FSU, and on and on take non qualifiers and JUCO transfers. This is how they get many highly rated players and at the same time, build depth. We are not allowed to take those players. Puts ANY coach at a disadvantage. If a young coach came here and was very successful, he would not hang around long given the disadvantages. Bottom line, the GT job just isn't that good of job.

I want to see Tech win 9 or 10 games every season and be competitive in every game.

This is reasonable and puts us in a position to have great seasons when the ball bounces our way to turn the losses into wins.

Decent bowls in most years, great bowls in the special years.

I think that Paul Johnson can build a program that can do this.

The offense gives us an advantage, we just aren't running it worth an absolute crap right now. I do not like our chances running the UGA offense against UGA. The same goes for VT, Miami, and Clemson.

His approach to redshirting helps overcome the recruiting disadvantage, same goes for the walk-on program. Look at this year's R-Sr's (Finch, Watts, Thomas, Sims, Cummings, Godhigh, Dieke, Beno). Next year's R-Sr's (Naly, Bostic, Perkins, Days, Hill, S. Green). There's a lot of production from a few guys who'd have burned a redshirt under other coaches chasing down punts their freshman year. Godhigh produces more than anybody on the offense, it costs nothing to roll the dice on some walk-ons and put a little emphasis on picking up guys that ran the offense in high school, live in Georgia, and qualify for HOPE.

GT is about the best opportunity that CPJ will be given, so he's not going to stepping-stone us like any young, super talented coach would. CPJ is about the best coach we can attract, as better coaches will head to better programs with less restrictions.

Not sure what is going wrong this year, but the offensive line is way underperforming and even when they play well, the offense struggles under Vad. Meanwhile, Roof has the defense playing well. If you paired this defense with any of the previous offenses, we're sitting pretty.

I'm glad he's got the protection of his contract and there's no way he's gone after this year and likely next. If next year's offensive line (Bailey?, Mason, Joe, O'Reilly, Braun, Chamberlain, Roberts) can gel, I'm looking forward to seeing what shakes out at QB. Smelter, Perkins, Days, Bostic, Snoddy, Andrews, etc should put as much talent on the field as we've had since the superfriends.

Maybe he was gifted a lot of talent and lost focus on recruiting, but I'm liking the class we're putting together this year, plus R. Jeune, S. Devine, P. Davis, F. Kallon?, B. Hankins, M. Allen, A. Gotsis, D. Andrews, D. White, J. Hunt-Days, C. Milton, D. Smith, and Snoddy all have 2-4 years left.

Jeff Monken, Brian Bohannon, and Mike Sewak are why our offense seems to be declining.
For different reasons obviously.

Justin Thomas has the athletic ability to take this offense to the next level. The thing I am worried about moving forward is the offensive line.

I want to see Tech win 9 or 10 games every season and be competitive in every game.

This is reasonable and puts us in a position to have great seasons when the ball bounces our way to turn the losses into wins.

No.
No it isn't.

The chickens have come home to roost. Love him or hate him Paul Johnson has recruited a pretty öööö good Georgia Southern team and that's exactly what takes the field every Saturday for Tech. Oops!

The chickens have come home to roost. Love him or hate him Paul Johnson has recruited a pretty öööö good Georgia Southern team and that's exactly what takes the field every Saturday for Tech. Oops!

Troll, troll, troll your boat ...

The idea that the people actually running the overall school would spend one iota of time thinking about how to make the football team better sounds absurd to me. If anything is done that helps the team it'll be coincidental to a bigger goal for the overall school.

We are consistently a top 40 program. Sometimes top 30, rarely top 15. As is stated repeatedly on this board, our talent today isn't top 30. It also isn't FCS. It is about top 40-50 of 120 in FBS. That will get you routinely into a bowl with 7-8 wins and usually losses to top 20 programs. Scheme will get you a win or two at most over the expected number based on talent.

Clearly the Institute's leadership is fine with that as long as our student-athletes graduate, which means they are actually students.

While I don't expect us to have better physical athletes, I do expect us to play smarter, have fewer mental mistakes, and leverage red-shirting to be more mature and consistent. That is the advantage we should EXPECT to have against anyone, and with the occasional top 25 recruiting class (maybe once every 4-5 years is realistic if we go national recruiting), will get us a realistic shot at an ACC title every 3-4 years. Doesn't mean I expect to win it that often, but have a reasonable chance that often.

What makes it so hard on CPJ is that UGAG has had great success, national recognition and whips our ass on a regular basis. If CPJ had beaten CMR one or two more times since he has been here, the pressure would be much less.

The idea that the people actually running the overall school would spend one iota of time thinking about how to make the football team better sounds absurd to me. If anything is done that helps the team it'll be coincidental to a bigger goal for the overall school.

If they gave a öööö about marketing the school they should care a lot about football. Every time an also ran school has a top 10 football team, it sees an explosion in the number of applicants the next year and sponsorship for all of its programs, not just athletics.

Its absurd you think its absurd. Football funds almost every other sport at tech. Womens softball, the facilities etc. You don't think for one moment the presidents at tech at least care to the degree they have success, bring in a revenue stream to keep the AA alive and healthy? Come on man. Don't be so öööö blind. Of course they care and focus on it. The difference is how much do they nuture it vs status quo. Right now tech football is just successful enough to do all the above and make the academic board happy that the SA's represent the school well. For them, nothing is broke. The second this team rips of 2 or 3 straight 2-3 win seasons, you will see the president step in. It will take that. It happened in the mid 90s and George got to run his own program and build it back up.

But to think for a moment the president doesn't have the AD, who reports to him, involved in major school discussions as part of his staff, and help the AD where he needs it in various areas is dumb as crap. Of course he does and of course he asks bobinski what he needs to create overall health of the program. why do you think Rad launched a facilities improvement initiative. Do you think for a moment it was because the president wasn't thinking about it too? And they genuinely what the team to do well, but they don't cross the tech line. Which is higher standards than NCAA for eligibility while at school (yes you can be eligible to play per NCAA but ineligible per tech). Higher standards than NCAA for admissions. And a bizarre calculus requirement for every degree which is totally dumb and antiquated thinking.

If they gave a öööö about marketing the school they should care a lot about football. Every time an also ran school has a top 10 football team, it sees an explosion in the number of applicants the next year and sponsorship for all of its programs, not just athletics.

I don't think we have a money shortage or the low applicant problems that would make the admin wake up. What you're saying while true aren't big enough issues for the institute.

Back