Question for the 'fridgemover about recent meeting

Re: oldfoggy, its good to see you remain relatively ..

So now you are thinking about calling me names? What I really am?

Of course i brought it up, thanks for proving to me you can read.

But I still must be missing your point OF. Whatever we may think of Reggie, and I suspect our opinions aren't that far off, unless someone is better than him why would you play them? To me, throwing the season away is playing someone who isn't ready and losing games because of it. With Reggie we may lose some, but we also have won more than we've lost. You seem to be assuming we could play anyone at QB and do as well. I'm don't think I buy that. I want to see someone beat him out, not just get handed the job.

I just hope we're out there looking for one hell of a QB to come in in two years cause if the backups we have ain't gettin it done now then what would lead me to believe one of them will be ready to go then???

Pls tell me we have someone on....

Our roster who can beat out any kid straight out of HS. It
takes at least 1 to 2 years for an incoming QB to learn any
offense & how to read college defenses, I don't care how
talented they are.

Re: NCJ

NCJ, I'm sure that you and I are pretty much in agreement about RB. My point is, if RB stumbles and he just might/probably will, then someone (the best available) who will be here next year should get time at QB. Why suffer at the QB position as we have the last 3 years and extend it into the future? It's apparent that RB has been less than stellar maybe labeled mediocre or worse. Who do we have for 07? Gosh I've heard this guy is no good that guy is no good, so what is Tech to do with the situation? Maybe CCG knows, the public (you and I) sure don't.

Re: Pls tell me we have someone on....

[ QUOTE ]
Our roster who can beat out any kid straight out of HS. It
takes at least 1 to 2 years for an incoming QB to learn any
offense & how to read college defenses, I don't care how
talented they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So when RB started his freshman year apparently he was the best we had. That's not saying very much. Look, I love the kid's heart but if he hasn't gotten it done in 3 years then what makes me think he will this year. You can give him the OL excuse all you want. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I hope this kid comes out and throws 20+ TDs this year. He's good enough to get us 6-7 wins. That's about it.

The problem with Reggie isn't that he's not good enough to get it done, it's that he isn't able to get it done every week. He beat Miami and he's looked good in some games. But when he has a bad game it's bad. So one issue is that someone has to beat out the good Reggie if we want another starter. The bigger question to me is whether we have someone who's ready (and whether Chan will do it) to take over when the bad Reggie surfaces. Someone to bring in when he's going bad and either finish the game or give him a chance to watch from the bench for a little bit. I think that's more what we're facing. When Reggie is good, he's pretty good. The coaches are caught up in that dilemna, someone else will have to learn the lessons of a new QB, but do you want to do that when Reggie's potential is sitting on the sideline?

[ QUOTE ]
The bigger question to me is whether we have someone who's ready (and whether Chan will do it) to take over when the bad Reggie surfaces. Someone to bring in when he's going bad and either finish the game or give him a chance to watch from the bench for a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100%

[ QUOTE ]
but do you want to do that when Reggie's potential is sitting on the sideline?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this kid is the best (and I do believe he is) that we have then he needs to play. My question is that why aren't we putting in a backup when he's playing like crap. The only answer i have is that we don't have anyone better to put out there.

To take it farther, I'd like to see Reggie utilized in a slash role. I think he'd be great at it and we'd be more explosive on offense. It'll also get another QB some time.

When the "bad Reggie" surfaces - and we all know he will - I think we should put the back up qb in. I have no idea who that will be but I cannot stand sitting there watching 3 and out over and over while Reggie plays in some sort of fog. Put someone else in and at least we can see some different mistakes instead of the same ones over and over. My frustration level with Reggie is sky high - I still haven't recovered from the uga nor the bowl game.

[ QUOTE ]
To take it farther, I'd like to see Reggie utilized in a slash role. I think he'd be great at it and we'd be more explosive on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always said that RB would make a good Wishbone QB. Forunately, you don't throw the ball that much in a wishbone set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree with your post 100%. Obviously Chan likes to stick with starters and does not believe in giving 2nd team QB's and OL's and 3rd and 4th TB's much game experience.

I though Taylor Bennet did well enough in the UConn game that to play him for a series or two would have been a good idea. When things go poorly for Reggie in a game, like VT or Utah, or when the offense can't move in a tight game like UGA, trying a different hand for a series is not a bad idea.

Sometimes you have to play people to get depth. Over the course of 12 games the 2nd string QB ought to contribute and the 3rd team QB ought to get on the field for a series or two in blowouts.

As Reggie gets ready for a fourth and last year, it would be foolish to play him every down. We need to see the other guys on the field a little to see what they can do. It might win a game this year to find someone who can play when Reggie is off, and it would sure help when a new starter is needed for '07.

77, I agree with you about keeping the starters in and not playing much backups. This goes back to the pro thinking mentality and it doesn't work. Either the backups just aren't good or Chan is not willing to substitute. While we have never had the depth there is a point where you have to put in the seconds and let them play.

The qb should get at least one if not two series a game and the back ups we have should get at least 7-10 plays a game and see if they can show they can play at least some of the time. I still think competition in practice is what is key and if the back ups aren't pushing the first stringers then they shouldn't get to play until they earn it. Who knows!

I do agree with the thinking on using backups, but to be fair I can't remember any coach at Tech ever doing that unless there wasn't a clear cut #1 (like early in JoeHam's career) or a blowout. I was watching the All-American Bowl tape last night (nice moustache btw big John) and when Dewberry was suspended, Rampley had thrown 2 passes all year. Or when Joe went down against FSU, Goose hadn't played any significant minutes in his career up to that point. The difference now to me is that when you have a very good starter, you tend not to want to play the backup. But when your starter struggles and has a history of doing it, you need to be more flexible.

Once the season starts, backup quarterbacks get very little work if any with the starting offensive unit. And until the #2 guy does, RB will always be the best choice for game day.
It's a real catch-22.

That's why when the head coach names the starter in pre-season, it is a very big deal.

[ QUOTE ]
When the "bad Reggie" surfaces - and we all know he will - I think we should put the back up qb in. I have no idea who that will be but I cannot stand sitting there watching 3 and out over and over while Reggie plays in some sort of fog. Put someone else in and at least we can see some different mistakes instead of the same ones over and over. My frustration level with Reggie is sky high - I still haven't recovered from the uga nor the bowl game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen sister,

REGGIE BALL = COACH KILLER

If Reggie is the only QB to see the field this fall, then I foresee another 6-7 win season. Up/Down Up/Down Up/Down Up/Down If he is to be the leader of our team then he has to cast off the shackles of inconsistency that have plagued him over the past three seasons. If he cannot, then Nix/Gailey (whoever our OC happens to be) have to be willing to put someone else in. I have read on another board a prediction that people would be saying that we don't have a backup capable of stepping in to the starting role besides Reggie. If that is the case, then why are we wasting scholarships on these guys? I have said many times here that Reggie Ball will be Chan Gailey's Quincy Carter. I love Tech, so Lord knows that I hope I'm wrong.

this is a good thread. Why is so clear to all of us and so unclear to Chan. Maybe Rad will read this thread and weigh in.

Back