Question for those attending practice..

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
At first I was reading great things about our freshman DL, Newberry.....Now I am hearing about Wrotto..

Whats the assessment of these two so far, and how much they may contribute..

How are they holding up vs our OL ? Holding their own ?

Does Wrotto look like a lock to remain at DL ? ( I recall speculation about his moving to OL....Has he practiced any at OL, or is he adjusting well to DL? )

Many thanks ! (its tough for us out-of-towners!)

Gold Rush.. to answer your questions.. yes, both are holding their own, and then some at times..

Wrotto has a little more range than Newberry.. but Newberry is quick... at times he lookes like a fast bulldozer out there.. I spent more time watching these kids during drills than I did during the scrimmages (I spent more time watching QB's during the scrimmage) ..

I think in both cases, we will see them play alot this year.. my only concern is upper body strength.. and not because either have appeared weak in that regard.. I just know there is a big difference in strength when comparing an 18 year old and a 21 year old..

I would say Wrotto is a lock to stay on the DL.. primarily because we have a greater need there as opposed to the OL.. even while watching the kid play in HS, I thought he was much more effective on the OL than DL.. but I think we will see him as a DT..

Jacketguy

Many thanks for that....IS Wrotto potentially a better OL because of his size/shape ? Do you think he can still evolve into an effective DL player ?
(I'd hate to see him switch positions more than once...)?

I'm assuming these guys have been in the weight room all year in prep for this -- but I agree, all things equal a 21 year with more years of lifting will be stronger...

Is Wrotto potentially a better OL than DL.. I am not sure I can really answer that.. he seemed that way to me in HS.. but, then again, I think he made All State due to his defensive position.. and I have to admit, I only saw him play 3 times in HS.. but in all cases, I saw the game to observe him..

In comparing Newberry and Wrotto.. Newberry just seems to explode more.. but Wrotto did very well in the drills I watched, made good penetration, and seemed to have good footwork.. give him time to work on technique and I think he will be a good one for us..

Back