Question on Mike Thornton...He's still talking with GT?

drinkclearwiskey

Jolly Good Fellow
Got this from the AJC recruiting blog with Chip Towers.

"As one of the uncommitted prospects the Yellow Jackets continue to pursue, Stephenson defensive tackle Mike Thornton said Smith’s departure did not set them back with him. “Not at all,” he said. “B.J. [Brian Jean-Mary] is my recruiter but I talked to Coach Smith a lot, too. It doesn’t matter. You don’t go to the school for the coach. You go to the school for the school. So it doesn’t change anything.”

This was written this morning, obviously since Giff left just yesterday.

I though Mike Thornton canceled this trip much earlier this week and he was off the board completely and it was down to UGA and Penn State.

If so, why is was he asked this morning if this affected him, and why would he respond the way he did?

I don't know if it's just him being respectful, or is he really still thinking about GT. I know he has said he really likes Al Groh.

GTeric, you got anything on this?

In the AUC article or Blog on recruiting it says Thornton canceled his trip to USC and is dwon to UGAG, Penn State. But strange that they get his opinion on Giff. Maybe he's one of the surprises that has been mentioned. :fingersx:

He was an AU lock, but they pressured him WAAY too much on his last visit there. Left a sour taste in his mouth.

Maybe he was blown away by UGAg's Computer Science Department. (oldie reason from about 5-6 years back)

With the LB we targeted going to Miami(FL) and Thornton not even giving us an official, should we assume Stephenson is enemy territory? How much bad blood is there over Reggie Ball's career at Tech? Hard to believe it could be any worse than the son of their HC going up to UGAg and sitting on the bench for 4 years.

I know Coach Ron Gartrell personally and am very close to the family. I would say that GT is definitely not off the radar for Stephenson. It is no secret that he was not a Gailey fan but him and CPJ have a long history together back when Gartrell was coaching Shamrock and CPJ was at GSU. He has stated to me that if CPJ was coaching Reggie Ball, he would have been a one of the best QBs in GT history. Now, I know he might have overstate that a little (maybe alot) but that shows you what type of respect he has for CPJ. He really likes CPJ just as much or if not more than CMR but Gartrell is really a coach that let's his high school players make up their own mind. We will get some our direction in due time.

I know Coach Ron Gartrell personally and am very close to the family. I would say that GT is definitely not off the radar for Stephenson. It is no secret that he was not a Gailey fan but him and CPJ have a long history together back when Gartrell was coaching Shamrock and CPJ was at GSU. He has stated to me that if CPJ was coaching Reggie Ball, he would have been a one of the best QBs in GT history. Now, I know he might have overstate that a little (maybe alot) but that shows you what type of respect he has for CPJ. He really likes CPJ just as much or if not more than CMR but Gartrell is really a coach that let's his high school players make up their own mind. We will get some our direction in due time.
We'll be ok with Stephenson.

Southwest Dekalb is a different story. The head coach over there is a total nut job.

According to an interview with Chip Towers, Thornton is still considering ten schools:

"Said Thornton of where he may end up: “I can honestly say I do not know right now. It’s a family decision and we’re going to make it together.”"

"For the record, the 10 schools are (in no particular order, Thornton stressed): Georgia, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Miami, Penn State, Kentucky, Florida State, N.C. State, Tennessee and Southern Cal."

So, according to GTLand03 and GT23eric, either Chip is a liar and made up the article or Thornton is a liar about still considering 10 schools. Which is it?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be combative. Just trying to figure this out.

well no offense to any recruiting "insiders", but it seems like quite a few times this recruiting season in particular, we've been locks for players and suddenly they don't even come to visit....so, I take most of the recruiting stuff with a grain of salt, and most of you should too.

well no offense to any recruiting "insiders", but it seems like quite a few times this recruiting season in particular, we've been locks for players and suddenly they don't even come to visit....so, I take most of the recruiting stuff with a grain of salt, and most of you should too.

Not standing up for (or pouncing on) the "recruiting insiders" since I have no reason to, but we do have to remember that these are 18 year old young men who are being pulled in a million directions and being told a million different things about how this one decision will define their football future (not true for 99% of them since this is the last ball they will play, but I digress).

These guys probably change their mind more times than they change underwear!! So when they are provided all of this conflicting information, they are uncertain and probably change their mind more than usual.

So it could be that the recruits are saying different things to different people, for example to appease the people they are talking to, or the questions are phrased in a manner to get the angle the reporter or recruiting insider wants (depending on who their primary audience is).

This is all a primary reason why I love CPJs position on a commitment. Don't do it till your ready, and when you do, you are done! Don't get on that plane boy... It is a very bright line, so that 10 guys aren't flying all over the country this week and saying "nah, i am still committed to GT"

Again, I am not an insider, but I am pretty sure that we will all know where these kids are going on signing day :D. Till then enjoy the NCAA reality TV

Back