Question on shorter practices

odw

Jolly Good Fellow
I've heard multiple times now that our practices will be shorter and more intense. Not on expert on this matter in any way, but I'm curious if this will affect our conditioning in anyway. I'm just wondering if we will find ourselves more worn out in 4th quarters due to these shorten practices.

Were our practices in the past slow and steady?

Just curious what you guys think on this.

I've heard multiple times now that our practices will be shorter and more intense. Not on expert on this matter in any way, but I'm curious if this will affect our conditioning in anyway. I'm just wondering if we will find ourselves more worn out in 4th quarters due to these shorten practices.

Were our practices in the past slow and steady?

Just curious what you guys think on this.

I think the main reason is tempo. Keep practice up tempo and fast paced because it's the closest thing to game speed.

I went to a few spring practices during the early years of Gailey. When the guys were running drills everyone was active, but when we were scrimmaging, everybody not involved in the play would be standing around on the sideline. We'd sub in and whatnot, but there still did seem like a fair amount of standing around for the guys not in the scrimmage. I don't know how common that is, or whether it's better or worse (or the same) as what we'll be doing under PJ.

I went to a few spring practices during the early years of Gailey. When the guys were running drills everyone was active, but when we were scrimmaging, everybody not involved in the play would be standing around on the sideline. We'd sub in and whatnot, but there still did seem like a fair amount of standing around for the guys not in the scrimmage. I don't know how common that is, or whether it's better or worse (or the same) as what we'll be doing under PJ.
So basically it was like a real game, right?

In hindsight, I have the impression that it was slower than a real game, with discussion between plays about what they did wrong and how to fix it / etc, but it was a while ago so I may be misremembering.

Ralph did a great job of having up tempo practices. Whether a mistake was made or not they 99% of the time ran the next play and would correct at meetings and/or the next day. I look for it too be the same with CPJ.

Shorter more intense practices work well if the coaching staff knows what they're doing. I see this as a good sign.

Back