Question

romegajacket

Helluva Engineer
What's a coach to do? What can a coach do? What do we expect in a HC?
We all realize that the ultimate responsibility of what happens on the field is with Chan Gailey. I'm still not too sure that we should be wanting his head though. I know I posted a fairly critical reply to a post earlier, but lets take a fair look at this. Some of the stuff that happens I will lay clearly at CCG's feet. Other stuff I'm not ready to blame the coach for yet. The general lack of intensity, I think he is totally responsible for. I'm thinking NC St. came to play serious ball last night and we weren't as serious about it as we should have been. Example: State downing the punts on the one yard line. That was pure hustle. Some things the coach can't help though. When any QB throws a pass and hits the receiver in the face with the ball and it gets dropped, the coach can't help that. Maybe more work on it at practice, but they only have so many receivers and QB's to work with and so many hours to practice. With GT's heavy academics, I can see where it will be harder for all the time needed to work on plays. In the game last night, if the last pass had been just a foot more in front of CJ, we would probably had a win. If the field goal kicker had made those 2 missed ones, we would have had a win. There is only so much a coach can do, but at some point the players have to do what they can do. I'm still not going to fault CCG too much on this thing. I may be overly optimistic, but I still think he is a very good coach even though I would like to see him instill more intensity and discipline in the team. Speaking of discipline, I'd like to see him put a stop to this diving into the end zone business that we have seen lately. CJ drew a foul last night for spiking the ball and for the life of me, I couldn't see a need for a flag there. I'd also like to see CCG put a STOP to the trash talking and get these guys more focused on the job at hand. RB is a bit mouthy out there and I can't see any good it does.
All in all we should have won that thing but we just didn't get it done. Hopefully we'll show better come Duke game.

Back