Raleigh News picks GT for 5th place in '03

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Raleigh News picks GT for 5th place in \'03

Carlton Tudor of the Raleigh News says 'GT couldn't possibly have as many injuries as they did in early '02'.
The future looks very bright for most ACC teams & the ACC could have an enormous yr in '03. NC St plays @ Ohio St, Virginia @ SCarolina, GT hosts Auburn.
Clemson's picked for 9th, last, at the bottom of the ACC.

Tudor critiques each team for '03

Re: Raleigh News picks GT for 5th place in \'03

I never know what to think of Carlton; I think he just looks at the flags and takes the prevailing winds. In midyear this season, he wrote an article that Barnfart seemed to copy the next day stating that ACC football was really down this year. With 7 teams in bowl games for the first time ever and in spite of Clemson and GT looking like they didn't belong in one, the other 5 teams certainly looked pretty good. FSU was beaten pretty badly, but that was more of a FSU player melt down of the common criminole events, academics and injuries. Not sure he and Barnfart ever know what they are talking about, but what is the quote about even a stopped clock........

Pretty good pick, but I'll give you mine.

1) N. C. State- Rivers, Mclendon, not losing many key players

2) Florida State- Rix will be better; these guys always get lucky with the old man at the helm

3) Virginia- Schaub, Schaub, and more Shaub, then Wali Lundy

4) Maryland- tough road games; losing all-everything LB E.J. Henderson

5) Georgia Tech- not as many injuries, QB situation will improve, Tony Hollings

6) Wake Forest- MacPherson is gone, but Grobe can do a lot with not much

7) North Carolina- Darian Durant, Bunting can't possibly have as bad of a season as '02

8) Duke, only lost 1 senior, Franks' bunch has to climb out of the cellar eventually

9) Clemson, Whitehurst not bad, but Tommy Bowden we'll see you later. You are the weakest link, GOODBYE!

Virginia, Maryland, NC St & Wake Forest looked so good in the Bowl games vs NATIONAL competition that I believe Tudor felt more strongly about the ACC.
Then when u look at all the quality QBs coming back u kinda upgrade what the conference is doing as a whole. The ACC will be involved in some very big nat'l games in '03 & really could make an impact on the BCS. Next season will be the best chance the ACC's had yet to put 2 teams in the BCS.

Clemson 9th? This article lost all credibility with that prediction. No way that ever happens with both Duke and Wake in the conference.
BOO

My picks with the right to change them prior to end of recruiting season and coaching changes.

1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. North Carolina State
4. Florida State University (Bowden either resigns or next year is do-or-die).
5. Wake Forest
6. Duke
7. North Carolina
8. Clemson (Bye Tommy) It was obvious the players do not intend to play for Tommy. I am mystified why something has not come out regarding the situation at Clemson.

I leave Tech out of the rankings until I see if there are any changes.

wink.gif

BDGhost - Care to wager a stiff burbon and coke on Wake coming in higher than Clemson next year? I have been impressed with Wake and not nearly so much with Clemson. And I actually grew up 30 miles from Clemson and like 'em so this isn't a hated team for me.

May not be the "natural order" of things but until their coach moves on I think Wake is for real.

ahso, I agree that Tommy is gone after 2003. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten an ultimatum from the "powers that be".

BDG, what nakes you think Wake(with Grobe) and Duke(only lost 1 senior) will not be better than Clemson? Duke and Wake both almost beat Clemson this season.

Clem 31 Clem 34
Wake 23 Duke 31(Duke led 31-17)

Charlotte Observer picked Tech for 7th this morning.

Originally posted by gtfan1147:
ahso, I agree that Tommy is gone after 2003. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten an ultimatum from the "powers that be".

BDG, what nakes you think Wake(with Grobe) and Duke(only lost 1 senior) will not be better than Clemson? Duke and Wake both almost beat Clemson this season.

Clem 31 Clem 34
Wake 23 Duke 31(Duke led 31-17)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Tommy is 3 - 1 versus 'the legend' over in Columbia. I think that has a lot to do with him not getting as much heat.

Back