Random Observations on HooLand

MariettaJacket

Varsity Lurker
1. Such a frustrating day. UVa was sharp and we were not, but we still had chances. Both the offense and defense were at fault and faltered in the clutch.

2. Defense: We went backwards on tackling. Too many yards given up after we first made contact. UVa does have some studs but that is no excuse. The defense was backed up all day, but never made the big play like they are capable of doing. Timlely penalties on UVa kept the game close and that is easy to forget.

3. Offensively, our lack of speed in the backfield showed in comparison to a quick and athletic UVa defense. Pass blocking appeared to be poor, but there were audibles to be made and they were not made. I think that is where Reggie's freshmanis shows up the most and he will no doubt improve immensely next year as he learns to read the defenses.

3. I don't think the coaches did anything special with game day coaching to overcome the lack of oomph from our team. Don't understand how we didn't go for it in the fourth when we were on the 25 and only a foot short. There was no way we were going to hold UVa scoreless, especially with their field goal kicker. We needed 7 and the 3 was destined to do us no good.

4. Chan frustrates me in close games like this, especially when we are not really playing our best. Coaches have to try some things a little out of the box to try and turn your team around and give them a chance to win when you are not at your best. Frankly, I would have thought hard about going for two after Jonathan's score to get us within 8. Given the way our players were playing, if you played it by the book, we were going to lose and we did.

5. Long ball was there most of the day. Reggie missed it twice when Jonathan was open. You wonder if we tried it 3-5 times if one of them might have worked. Nothing else much did. Why not try it?

6. Like most of our losses, a half dozen plays going the other way would have made a big difference. (no roughing the passer, Reggie hits Jonathan on the two bombs he is wide open, the refs call the non touchdown by UVA at the gold line correctly and see his knee hit before he reached out with the ball, etc). We're young and not as talented or deep as we all wish we were. Last week, we got those half dozen plays. This week we did not.

7. I didn't get to make the trip to Hooville this year, but it is a good trip. They did the best stadium expansion I've ever seen, turning a dumpy place into a showplace.

8. We can take UGA. Not saying we will, but it is not wishful thinking. It truly would be a joy to wipe out their season and we will have the opportunity to do it.

I don't know which game you were watching but this game was never close. We were facing a 46-14 route if the defense had not stepped it up in the 2nd half. MS was picking us apart with his passing in the 1st half, while our offense could only manage 10 points-pathetic. As for the deep pass just before halftime, Jonathan Smith was loafing on the pass route till he saw the pass coming hiw way. I hope the coaches get in his face because if he had not loafed on the play it would have been a sure touchdown. More importantly it would given us some momentum going into halftime. The coaching staff had better get our mental state on track before next Saturday or we will get our butts kicked again by the pups.

Originally posted by Bob Brooke:
I don't know which game you were watching but this game was never close.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Being down by 6 after coming back from a double digit deficit isn't close? We were still in that game until we couldn't convert on 4th. What game were YOU watching?

Good analysis, MJ, as usual. Very glad to see you finally post on ST. I enjoy your posts as u always 'add' something.

Quick & athletic uvag defense? By all accounts their defense is anything but. We again lost to a poor to average team.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Quick & athletic uvag defense? By all accounts their defense is anything but. We again lost to a poor to average team.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">my want to let SI know that - they put UVa's LB crew as the top in the country during the preseason, and they haven't backed off that statement.

There Linebackers (Brooks, Parham, and Blackstone) are big, quick, and athletic and all will play in the NFL

Back