Random thoughts from the game

2. Pretty sure it was Lynn Griffin who messed up there.

If it's the play I'm recalling, CPJ had stern words with IW3 following that play.

It wasn't Griffin's fault. He was the near-side A-Back. He was supposed to be blocking upfield. ESPN was all over him on that play too for not being in position for the pitch, but IW3 went the wrong way, not Griffin.

Do you mean signaling in the plays verses sending them by aback? Or do you mean playcalling?

This is gnats we are talking about here. It is doubtful that even he knows what he means.

How about the Clock management at the end of the game? With 4:30 to go, down by two TD's, we are huddling and standing over the ball, burning 35-40 seconds each play. I was going ape**** screaming Get to the Line of Scrimmage!
It was like PJ didn't think we had a chance and was just going to let it run down and go take a shower. Then when they got to 3:00 left all of a sudden they "speed up" to about 25 seconds per play. After running a lot of no huddle in the season, I'd have thought they had some coaching on this issue. Really disappointed in the clock management and coaching ON OFFENSE this year. Lack of improvement means poor coaching to me.

i was thinking about how i really need to put in another french drain in my yard

i was thinking about how i really need to put in another french drain in my yard

:rotfl:
Here was my random thought from the game:
Why in the heck would a GT fan come to the game with her Bulldwag husband/boyfriend (not sure which) and then be shocked, embarrassed and reduced to tears by his obnoxious behavior as he constantly barked and cussed at the GT fans around him?

How about the Clock management at the end of the game? With 4:30 to go, down by two TD's, we are huddling and standing over the ball, burning 35-40 seconds each play. I was going ape**** screaming Get to the Line of Scrimmage!
It was like PJ didn't think we had a chance and was just going to let it run down and go take a shower. Then when they got to 3:00 left all of a sudden they "speed up" to about 25 seconds per play. After running a lot of no huddle in the season, I'd have thought they had some coaching on this issue. Really disappointed in the clock management and coaching ON OFFENSE this year. Lack of improvement means poor coaching to me.

Johnson's never been a Clock Wizard but yeah, watching us go thru the motions with zero urgency at that point was maddening and kinda laughable. I don't think Johnson really cares much about hurrying up. Either that or he doesn't really know how to run such an offense. 'Cause we always stagger with clock management in those situations.

1. Our O looked a lot better the last two games after we stopped signaling in the plays. We went back to sending in the play by aback. Maybe the coach signaling in the plays sucks at it. Maybe our signals were so basic the other team could read them. Who knows? I hope to never see that again.

I seriously think this may be a problem. A buddy of mine went to the VPI game and sat in row 2 of one of the club sections. He said Bud Foster was right in front of him almost the whole game and he could hear every word he said. He text me in the 2nd quarter of the game saying Bud had already figured out most of our audibles and play signals.

:rotfl:
Here was my random thought from the game:
Why in the heck would a GT fan come to the game with her Bulldwag husband/boyfriend (not sure which) and then be shocked, embarrassed and reduced to tears by his obnoxious behavior as he constantly barked and cussed at the GT fans around him?

TIL, GTMom's husband is a DWAG fan. :biggrin:

Our O did improve during the year. They went from not being able to run the base plays to being able to run them. The young guys did learn as the season progressed.

What they weren't able to do was to make in game adjustments. We tried, but the guys just didn't have the background knowledge to execute the adjustments.

Johnson's never been a Clock Wizard but yeah, watching us go thru the motions with zero urgency at that point was maddening and kinda laughable. I don't think Johnson really cares much about hurrying up. Either that or he doesn't really know how to run such an offense. 'Cause we always stagger with clock management in those situations.

We had plenty of time on the clock when we pooch kicked it. The D just didn't make the stop to give use good field position and time.

Honestly, I don't think we'd have scored the TD that we got if we'd gone hurry-up on that drive, since the hurry-up thing doesn't seem to work for us. In the moment, I was fine with just running at a comfortable pace and trying to get something going (and it worked - we scored). But yeah, it does point to a larger problem of not having a system in place for going faster when we need to.

JRjr

Back