Rank Tech's 1990, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2014 Teams

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
1- 1990 - NC
2- 2008 - Surprising season and great win in Athens
3- 1999 - "Daddy! We got the ball! We got the ball!"
4- 1998 - Finally
5- 2014 - "He can tell his book club he caught the winning pass against Georgia Tech!"
6- 2000 - The Goose is loose! "They're just running all over us, like we're Wake Forest or somebody."
7- 2009 - C-L-E-M-S-O-N, C-L-E-M-S-O-N

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
After the 1990 team, the most feared GT team on that list at the end of the season was 2014. Nobody in the nation wanted to play us in January that year, even Alabama. We’d have ööööed them up so bad they wouldn't have known what hit them.

Interesting you have 1999 over 1998.

Also, 2000 over 2009. Maybe that LSU pounding left a sour taste in my mouth? To be fair we lost to the mutts and had a similar New Year’s flat performance whereas 2000 we beat the mutts. I did like the Goose is Loose, but the gimme dat ball back play was pretty awesome too.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
After the 1990 team, the most feared GT team on that list at the end of the season was 2014. Nobody in the nation wanted to play us in January that year, even Alabama. We’d have ööööed them up so bad they wouldn't have known what hit them.

Also, 2000 over 2009. Maybe that LSU pounding left a sour taste in my mouth? To be fair we lost to the mutts and had a similar New Year’s flat performance whereas 2000 we beat the mutts. I did like the Goose is Loose, but the gimme dat ball back play was pretty awesome too.
The interesting thing is that everybody can have their own favorites for their own personal reasons. For instance, I put 1999 over 1998 because of the incredible ending. Sanks had two big gains to the one. It was over. Donnan ran one more play, I guess because it was a surer bet than kicking a field goal. I couldn't even look. I was standing by my son in the Upper West. I had given up, but I think I was praying. All of a sudden, the stadium exploded. Old Grant Field shook that day. But, I didn't know what had happened. Then, I heard my son screaming the incredible words, "Daddy! We got the ball! We got the ball!" I don't think I ever felt closer to my son. When we got to the lot where we parked our car, there were a bunch of red neck Georgia fans huddled around their cars drinking. We had our Tech sweatshirts and hats on, and we looked too happy to be Georgia fans. They just looked at us. Then, one of them said, "Why don't y'all go home?" I said, "Mister, we are home." Well, it would take some game to top that one. The SEC suspended the officials who worked that game the next day. We were at the 1998 and 2000 games in Athens, too, and they were great. Brought home some hedges in 1998. As for 2009, it was a great season. But, to me, a great season when we beat Georgia is better than a great season when we don't.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer

The 1990 OL was a legion of steamrollers.

2014 was good but 1990 would have killed them.

Ross/Fridge/O'Leary - one of the best staffs in CFB history
1990 was special. But the game of football is Apples vs. Oranges in terms of size, speed, player development and nutrition. The truth is NFL Super Bowl champions from the early 1970s and 80s would probably lose to most good P5 college football teams today. I’ll bet even our current roster would prevail against the 1990 team. The players are so much bigger and stronger.

Last edited:

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
1990 was special. But the game of football is Apples vs. Oranges in terms of size, speed, player development and nutrition. The truth is NFL Super Bowl champions from the early 1970s and 80s would probably lose to most good P5 college football teams today. And the 1990 Jackets would get beaten by our current roster pretty easily I bet.
Idk about that.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like

2014 offense was generationally special but no one feared our defense, which had already lost to Duke, UNC, and nearly Ga Southern. Had we a good D that year, we beat FSU in the ACCCG.

2000 definitely over 2009, for the reasons you say: Losses to mutts and Orange Bowl make the 3-in-a-row mutt win over 2000 eclipse 2009 IMO.

Dhatura

Dodd-Like
That 2014 offense was amazing when they really started firing on all cylinders. But that booger defense was too porous.

Joe Ham was THE man, so I have to love the ability of that 1998 team, but without looking, didn't our D kinda stink?

Of course, the championship 1990 team was great - no doubt about it.

I don't like speculating which team would be the best, but we need to get back to having a truly competitive team. I want to go into most games feeling like we should win and going into the rest of them feeling like we have a good chance. This crap lately is for the birds.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
That 2014 offense was amazing when they really started firing on all cylinders. But that booger defense was too porous.

Joe Ham was THE man, so I have to love the ability of that 1998 team, but without looking, didn't our D kinda stink?

Of course, the championship 1990 team was great - no doubt about it.

I don't like speculating which team would be the best, but we need to get back to having a truly competitive team. I want to go into most games feeling like we should win and going into the rest of them feeling like we have a good chance. This crap lately is for the birds.
My father-in-law went to Tech before the war. After the war, he almost never missed a game. After my wife and I got married in 1970, my father-in-law asked me to go to many Tech games with him. One time, I asked him what it was like to go to Tech games during Coach Dodd's glory days. He said, "We didn't go to Tech games to see if Tech would win. We went to Tech games to see how Tech would win." I hope Tech fans get to feel that way again.

The Jacket

The Coat
You win the national title at Tech, you have transcended ranking against non-MNC teams. For that reason, and the fact that I was 3 years old and didn't experience that team the way I did the others, I am not going to include them in mine:

Best:

Favorite:

It almost feels wrong putting any of them above the others. I maintain that the 2000 Yellow Jackets could have played for and won the national championship with Friedgen still calling the plays. The Catch vs. Clemson is one of those moments beyond describing, like Bynum's layup in the Final Four, and the fact that we ended the season with a top-to-bottom domination of Georgia in Athens puts it over the top for me.

wreckm

28 to 27 for a Great Day!
The interesting thing is that everybody can have their own favorites for their own personal reasons. For instance, I put 1999 over 1998 because of the incredible ending. Sanks had two big gains to the one. It was over. Donnan ran one more play, I guess because it was a surer bet than kicking a field goal. I couldn't even look. I was standing by my son in the Upper West. I had given up, but I think I was praying. All of a sudden, the stadium exploded. Old Grant Field shook that day. But, I didn't know what had happened. Then, I heard my son screaming the incredible words, "Daddy! We got the ball! We got the ball!" I don't think I ever felt closer to my son. When we got to the lot where we parked our car, there were a bunch of red neck Georgia fans huddled around their cars drinking. We had our Tech sweatshirts and hats on, and we looked too happy to be Georgia fans. They just looked at us. Then, one of them said, "Why don't y'all go home?" I said, "Mister, we are home." Well, it would take some game to top that one. The SEC suspended the officials who worked that game the next day. We were at the 1998 and 2000 games in Athens, too, and they were great. Brought home some hedges in 1998. As for 2009, it was a great season. But, to me, a great season when we beat Georgia is better than a great season when we don't.
Love your comment about 1999 and The Fumble. My words at that exact moment were "It will take a miracle from heaven." I closed my eyes and opened them to watch our man holding the ball. What a glorious moment for this old guy who was not so old in those days! Thanks for that great memory!

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
I'll go with The Jacket's approach but in a hybrid of best/favorite seasons. Can't list 1990 because I didn't experience it. I really can't even imagine what that was like but I want it.

1998-2001 cemented me as a Tech fan for life. It was a good time.

1998 - the OG GOAT. Gameday on campus for FSU, and that loss didn't slow us down. Ending the UGA streak. Beating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. Top 10 finish. Had no idea at the time that's as good as it gets (I wan't a GT fan when I was 11 in 1990)

2000 - this was supposed to be a rebuilding year with Andy Hall. Instead it was the rise of Goose. NC State was lucky. At no point in my fandom where we as dominant over UGA, both as a program and in the actual game.

2014 - the end of the season was fun as hell. Getting there was really kind of rough though (UNC, Duke, GSouthern)

2009 - the Virginia Tech win that year can't be understated. In that moment, I can't remember any win more significant and more amazing. Smuggling oranges in my socks in Tampa. ACC Champs. I may have taken the UGA loss harder than any other year.

1999 - Georgia Tech is a dark-horse contender. Heisman candidate. But Wake Forest, Hook and Ladder at UVA, Marvious Hester is still fumbling the ball somewhere giving me heart palpitations.

2008 - FSU and UGA wins this year need more credit. The first win over FSU since they joined the ACC. UGA was preseason number one, and they still couldn't get past 7 in the streak.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Speaking of please someone play defense....

I still can't get over Joe Hamilton being 22-25, 387 yards, 4 TD's passing and us losing the ballgame to FSU in 1999. I still say, öööö you Ron Dayne, that if we get that victory, Joe Hamilton may win the Heisman. Heroic Doug Flurie game. Dayne sucked and got yards because Wisconsin fed him the ball specifically to break the rushing record

Hell, Hamilton in 1999 had 3,000+ yards passing, 730 yards rushing, 29 passing TD's, 6 rushing TD's

Dayne had 2,000 yards rushing and 20 TD's