Rank Tech's 1990, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2014 Teams

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
Speaking of please someone play defense....

I still can't get over Joe Hamilton being 22-25, 387 yards, 4 TD's passing and us losing the ballgame to FSU in 1999. I still say, öööö you Ron Dayne, that if we get that victory, Joe Hamilton may win the Heisman. Heroic Doug Flurie game. Dayne sucked and got yards because Wisconsin fed him the ball specifically to break the rushing record

Hell, Hamilton in 1999 had 3,000+ yards passing, 730 yards rushing, 29 passing TD's, 6 rushing TD's

Dayne had 2,000 yards rushing and 20 TD's
That game was ridiculous. My first trip to Doak and Tallahassee, and my second road game after Athens in 1998 (edit - forgot the Gator Bowl against Notre Dame). We matched them TD for TD but Joe just couldn't beat them on his own.

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
1- 1990 - Natty
2- 2009 - ACC Champs
3- 2014 - OB Champs - COFH - The Kick & The Pick
4- 1998 - Gator Bowl win over ND after beating the mutts in Athens
5- 2008 - COFH Comeback has the ATL in a BUZZ
6- 2000 - The Goose is loose!
7- 1999 - Heisman candidate!

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
That game was ridiculous. My first trip to Doak and Tallahassee, and my second road game after Athens in 1998 (edit - forgot the Gator Bowl against Notre Dame). We matched them TD for TD but Joe just couldn't beat them on his own.
That is maybe the most exciting road game I ever witnessed. We were 2 touchdown underdogs if I remember correctly and we gave FSU all they could handle. I remember the Nole fans being very impressed by Joe's performance. It is true there wasn't much defense to brag about. Even though we would lose it was one of those "What a Game!" moments.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
That is maybe the most exciting road game I ever witnessed. We were 2 touchdown underdogs if I remember correctly and we gave FSU all they could handle. I remember the Nole fans being very impressed by Joe's performance. It is true there wasn't much defense to brag about. Even though we would lose it was one of those "What a Game!" moments.
My son and I were at that game, too. I remember the FSU band marching over to the Tech section of Doak Campbell and playing "The Ramblin' Wreck" for the Tech fans. For some weird reason, after that loss, I felt so proud of Tech. I almost felt like we'd won. It was like, well, we played hard and made our point. We had so many heartbreaking losses to them. And I really do mean heartbreaking. But, since then, they've had some really heartbreaking losses to us, too.

GT85inPA

Varsity Lurker
My profile pic says it for me: 1990 National Champs - I was at the Citrus Bowl to watch us destroy that Nebraska team to seal the deal.
After that it has to be Joe Ham and Goose Godsey's teams.
I did enjoy being there in Charlotte for the ACCCG when we ran it down FSU's throats - so close

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
The interesting thing is that everybody can have their own favorites for their own personal reasons. For instance, I put 1999 over 1998 because of the incredible ending. Sanks had two big gains to the one. It was over. Donnan ran one more play, I guess because it was a surer bet than kicking a field goal. I couldn't even look. I was standing by my son in the Upper West. I had given up, but I think I was praying. All of a sudden, the stadium exploded. Old Grant Field shook that day. But, I didn't know what had happened. Then, I heard my son screaming the incredible words, "Daddy! We got the ball! We got the ball!" I don't think I ever felt closer to my son. When we got to the lot where we parked our car, there were a bunch of red neck Georgia fans huddled around their cars drinking. We had our Tech sweatshirts and hats on, and we looked too happy to be Georgia fans. They just looked at us. Then, one of them said, "Why don't y'all go home?" I said, "Mister, we are home." Well, it would take some game to top that one. The SEC suspended the officials who worked that game the next day. We were at the 1998 and 2000 games in Athens, too, and they were great. Brought home some hedges in 1998. As for 2009, it was a great season. But, to me, a great season when we beat Georgia is better than a great season when we don't.
Still have hedges from 1998 in my dresser. Looks like stems and seeds now to the uninitiated.

bandman659

Varsity Lurker
98 and 2014 teams were pretty similar. Great offenses paired with defenses that weren’t fearsome, but were very opportunistic. I remember that 98 defense scoring defensive TDs like 6-7 straight games or something?

79tech

Damn Good Rat
1. 1990 -duh
2. 2014 won the Orange Bowl and offense that you didn't want to face -8th final poll
3. 1998 - beat good Notre Dame team in Gator bowl - 9th final poll
4 . 2009 - this team got screwed by shirtgate - 13th final poll - acc champ
5. 2000 - were better than lsu - just lost - big w over uga and played fsu hard - 17th final poll
6. 1999 - 20th final poll - started hot but uva and wake losses hurt
7. 2016 - i know only 9-4 but kick and pick was awesome and so was kicking stoops ass - finished strong and should have been ranked
8. 2008 - uga win was a lot of fun but lsu game was disappointing - great coaching job - 22nd poll

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
1. 1990 -duh
2. 2014 won the Orange Bowl and offense that you didn't want to face -8th final poll
3. 1998 - beat good Notre Dame team in Gator bowl - 9th final poll
4 . 2009 - this team got screwed by shirtgate - 13th final poll - acc champ
5. 2000 - were better than lsu - just lost - big w over uga and played fsu hard - 17th final poll
6. 1999 - 20th final poll - started hot but uva and wake losses hurt
7. 2016 - i know only 9-4 but kick and pick was awesome and so was kicking stoops ass - finished strong and should have been ranked
8. 2008 - uga win was a lot of fun but lsu game was disappointing - great coaching job - 22nd poll
Thanks for adding 2016 to the list. To be honest with you, that incredible sequence after Georgia scored their last TD is one of my favorite Tech memories. I watch it all the time, with the Georgia radio call.

johncu

Dodd-Like
'09 to this day still kills me. If Bebe catches that pass, the entire landscape of football in the state of GA is different right now.

öööö.
That one really hurts. I don’t know what the odds were on the game, but that’s the one year I felt pretty confident that we were significantly better than them. They beating us was an upset, for sure.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
My profile pic says it for me: 1990 National Champs - I was at the Citrus Bowl to watch us destroy that Nebraska team to seal the deal.
After that it has to be Joe Ham and Goose Godsey's teams.
I did enjoy being there in Charlotte for the ACCCG when we ran it down FSU's throats - so close
I was in the upper deck of the Citrus Bowl that day, roasting and still hurting because somebody decided that shooting off firecrackers in our hotel room at 0400 was a great idea.
But I digress ...
90 has to be numero uno.
After that, I got 2014. Yeah, the Duke and UNC games hurt but the gut punch win over the Mutts, the great effort in Charlotte and then slapping Missy State in the Orange Bowl was plenty good.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
'09 to this day still kills me. If Bebe catches that pass, the entire landscape of football in the state of GA is different right now.

öööö.
Right before that, my buddy asks me, "what play is PJ gonna call here?"
I said, "it's got to be a comeback route to Bebe."
And he was open. And ... he dropped it.
You're right, if we somehow win that game, after pissing down our leg for 59 minutes, that would have tipped the scales toward us in this state.

(a few years later, I'm at an event, where PJ and Richt are there. It's just me and PJ talking. There's a passel of 30 media around Richt. PJ looks over at that and turns to me and says, "you don't think there's a f-in bias in this state?"
"Never said there wasn't, man."

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Right before that, my buddy asks me, "what play is PJ gonna call here?"
I said, "it's got to be a comeback route to Bebe."
And he was open. And ... he dropped it.
You're right, if we somehow win that game, after pissing down our leg for 59 minutes, that would have tipped the scales toward us in this state.

(a few years later, I'm at an event, where PJ and Richt are there. It's just me and PJ talking. There's a passel of 30 media around Richt. PJ looks over at that and turns to me and says, "you don't think there's a f-in bias in this state?"
"Never said there wasn't, man."
Coach Dodd was a genius at public relations. In his book, "Bobby Dodd on Football," he devoted a lot of attention to it. Coach Collins is very good at it, too. He seems to take the mind set that there is no bias towards the Braves, the Falcons or UGA in the local consciousness. Of course, we all know there is. But, when it comes to public relations, I think Coach Collins' way of thinking is the attitude that has the best chance to work.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
That one really hurts. I don’t know what the odds were on the game, but that’s the one year I felt pretty confident that we were significantly better than them. They beating us was an upset, for sure.
We were 8 point favorites that day. Wonder when the last time we were favored by a TD over the dwags was. That was the only memory of us even being favored besides 99 and 2000 I think.

ToHellwithUGA

Varsity Lurker
Coach Dodd was a genius at public relations. In his book, "Bobby Dodd on Football," he devoted a lot of attention to it. Coach Collins is very good at it, too. He seems to take the mind set that there is no bias towards the Braves, the Falcons or UGA in the local consciousness. Of course, we all know there is. But, when it comes to public relations, I think Coach Collins' way of thinking is the attitude that has the best chance to work.
At his previous coaching stops, CPJ did not really have to deal with competition in public relations. At Ga Southern, he was the only team in Georgia in 1-AA and at Navy, he started at a military academy the year after 911 and everyone was pulling for the academies to win.