Rather have VTech than BC

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Tv market demos are overrated. People are looking for COMPETITION aspect. If location were that important then Auburn would not be rated highly in the college football landscape but they are. With dish tv, cable, subscription it is not what it once was regarding tv. It is the competition. The acc expands or dies, and I would rather have 13 now rather than 12 without VT.

NOT ME!!! BC brings so much more to the table than VT, television market, Tier 1 academics and competitive men's basketball being the main items. BC is a much better fit for the ACC than VT in every way. Remember, VT's football success is relatively recent and could stop on a dime if Beamer were to leave. Athletically, VT is a "one trick pony" -- I want conference rivalries in ALL the sports we play!

There are a lots of negatives concerning VT. Blacksburg is not the most accessible place in the world. The best way to get there is by parachute. That was a line I heard by a Big East Coach describing the inconvenience of visiting that school with a large contingent of followers
This guy said that if you had a large group going to Blacksburg it was best to fly to Pittsburg and bus in from there. Sounds a lot like Starksville,
Miss to me.

Big Buck, I tend to agree with your assessment.

Virginia Tech will most likely have a good football team as long as Beamer is there. Blacksburg is a good vacation spot if you like the mountains, but offers little in other areas.

Boston College is an up and coming football program in the NorthEast. Boston is one of the oldest areas in America historically and offers an excellent location to start a vacation for the entire NorthEast section of the U.S.

It is a hotbed for the Media and would really open up the NorthEast section for better support of the ACC. It would give the ACC a better recruiting base for the NorthEast high schools, and the sportswriters in that area would become more familiar with the ACC and give us better voting on the strength of our teams.

I can't imagine a better school to add to the ACC at this time than Boston College. I believe it would help the ACC's image for the NorthEast area more than it would help Boston College.

Although Syracuse is not one of my favorites to join the ACC, "what good can come out of New York?", I think it would be a good addition from the media perspective and for recruiting in that area.

When you are saddled with stricter recruiting guides, such as the ACC, it is wise to broaden your recruiting area to more of the country.

To me, Miami is the least important of the teams being considered. Their recruiting and schooling methods are far different from the rest of the ACC. I don't think Miami offers much to the ACC community.

drinking.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Big Buck, I tend to agree with your assessment.

Virginia Tech will most likely have a good football team as long as Beamer is there. Blacksburg is a good vacation spot if you like the mountains, but offers little in other areas.

Boston College is an up and coming football program in the NorthEast. Boston is one of the oldest areas in America historically and offers an excellent location to start a vacation for the entire NorthEast section of the U.S.

It is a hotbed for the Media and would really open up the NorthEast section for better support of the ACC. It would give the ACC a better recruiting base for the NorthEast high schools, and the sportswriters in that area would become more familiar with the ACC and give us better voting on the strength of our teams.

I can't imagine a better school to add to the ACC at this time than Boston College. I believe it would help the ACC's image for the NorthEast area more than it would help Boston College.

Although Syracuse is not one of my favorites to join the ACC, "what good can come out of New York?", I think it would be a good addition from the media perspective and for recruiting in that area.

When you are saddled with stricter recruiting guides, such as the ACC, it is wise to broaden your recruiting area to more of the country.

To me, Miami is the least important of the teams being considered. Their recruiting and schooling methods are far different from the rest of the ACC. I don't think Miami offers much to the ACC community.

drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Here, here! Obviously I agree with you 100% being a BC person! New England is very beautiful in the Fall and would be a great trip north ... not only the game but lots of history. BC's campus is BEAUTIFUL!!

Also, lightning in Blacksburg has been known to cancel football games.

"Miami does not offer much to the ACC community" ???????????? Are you out of your total mind. If UM does not come, and the acc expands, we should get out. Eventhough overrated, the south fla. tv market beats boston to hades. UM is as good of an academic institution as any being mentioned. IT IS NOT ABOUT TV BUT COMPETITION!! As far as an overall athletic program, then obviously, at the time, it was a terrible move for the acc to take us in. If the tv market is that important, let us just put a game of UT vs Auburn up against BC vs GT. Just those 2 games on national tv.

Texstinger, no I am not out of my mind. I stand behind my statement and will not change it.

That is my opinion and I respect your opinion, but both are only opinions.

rolleyes.gif

if the acc does not expand, then GT, cu, fsu, umd, uva should leave and help form a new conference with those leaving the big east. the 4 wine & cheese nc schools can then form a conference with ecu, elon, etc. and never have to leave the state to compete.

I'm not sure BC brings us anything from a TV perspective. Sure Boston is a huge market but does anybody up there care about college sports? Most of my contacts in the area are all about the Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins and Pats. None follow BC or care what happens in college sports. Granted that's a small sample does anyone know anything about the market or is this our typical discussion of things we know nothing about?

Originally posted by ncjacket:
...is this our typical discussion of things we know nothing about?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL, ncjacket!
Anecdotally, I have a son up there (a GT fan of course), who says the same thing you do.

If we could lure ND into the conference-and, heck, let them have an independent home game TV contract- the whole country would be our market.

OK, I did a little bit of research to see which of the Big East schools might fit Tech academically. In sum they all offer “easier” degree programs.

Miami offers a degree program in Athletic Training.

Virginia Tech offers a degree in Human Nutrition, Exercise & Health Management.

Boston College appears to be strong academically; if they have a football degree I didn’t find it.

However, all three offer arts degrees in social work/sociology as well as education.

Bobby Dodd did not believe Tech could compete in the SEC and the answer was Industrial Management. Obviously, Tech did not dumb down its academic standards enough to meet the rest of the SEC so here we are.

On the surface, Miami and VT are just another couple of football factories. At least, to my knowledge, they do run clean programs.

So there you have it….

Okay 71, then line up your twelve teams for a new conference, if the North Carolina quad nixes expansion. I value your input and am curious to see your two divisions of possibilities.

Take a shot at it.

wink.gif

Ahsoisee & all,

Here is my Eastern Conference

North:

Boston College
Virginia Tech
Syracuse
Virginia
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame

South:

Vanderbilt
Clemson
Wake Forest
North Carolina State
Maryland
Georgia Tech

Central Florida, FSU, Miami don't match well academically. North Carolina and Duke don’t want to play football.

71, your inclusion of Vanderbilt is interesting. I started to include them, because, personally, I believe they would leave the SEC because of its propensity to cheat.

A new Eastern Conference just might be a good incentive for them.

smile.gif

If the ACC managed to lure vandy (no reason to do it), then the sec would get fsu or um. C'mon folks.

Since UM appears to run a clean program why in the world would they opt for the probation conference. FSU, yes they belong in the probation conference since they are constantly in hot water and would fit nicely in the probation conference. If the Snuff Dippers in NC don't approve expansion then it's time Tech et al seek out and form a new conference. Tech has the highest profile in the ACC (if you don't believe me ask the people here in San Antonio) so it would not be much of a problem to get 10 to 12 who would be willing to form a new conference.

Originally posted by texstinger:
If the ACC managed to lure vandy (no reason to do it), then the sec would get fsu or um. C'mon folks.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Texstinger,

Yes, and your point is this would be a bad thing?

Back