RB did have a pretty good scrimmage but

Bogey

Jolly Good Fellow
what bugs me the most about his passes is that he does not seem to have the finesse that I think is desired at this level. Last season, I saw several times that he had a chance for a completion if he throws it in front of his receiver at his knees since the DB is back of the receiver. Instead he throws it high so that only the DB has a chance for the catch. Saturday, I saw the opposite, a DB in front and nobody with in 10 yards in back and he throws it short. And the throws I am talking about are not long ones, 10- 20 yards. Has anyone else noticed this?
And unlike a lot of others, I thought TB came along nicely at the end and was leading his receivers perfectly. And he has a great arm with good mechanics. I think by mid season, if he gets to average 5-10 minutes per game, TB will be seriously pushing Reggie to start.

Let me say I did not see the scrimmage but I've noticed our QB over the last 2 years either
A. throw it up for grabs,
B. throws it way long, or
C. throws way short.
It appears to me that there has been no improvement from year one to year 2. I am hoping that he calms down, stays in the pocket, and does not get happy feet, throws properly (probably the reason for the balls up for grabs) from the proper foot. I've noticed in game like UConn where the line was in control he did throw on the proper foot. Maybe he's just a kid that gets rattled under pressure. I don't honestly know. He also needs to rely on the team and not try to win the game by himself.

Reggie is one of those type of athletes that when he puts it all together, he can be magnificent, much like Joe Hamilton. But when he doesn't, he can lose you a game single handedly.

Barrell, i think when RB understands he can't win these games alone which i hope is against auwbern he will come through. If not then i guareentee you will see platooning.

Re: Foggy, I agree with your comment

that he does get rattled under pressure. I think up to this level, his ability to run it out of trouble has been what he has relied on in the past, but at D-1 level, it don't work so good. Hard habits are hard to break.
But his lack of understanding that he needs to place the ball away from coverage is also what I have noticed. I mean these are not hard throws, the ones I have seen. I know he has the talent to make them and is what frustrates me.

Some QBs have natural "touch",he does not.he is strong and can gun the ball,actually throwing the 20 yd pass better than 10.That is why his complete % is low ,not enough easy ,short completions to run backs and TE.Being short doesn't help but JoeHam overcame that,so can he.

I agree with the majority of what has been said about Reggie Ball and his performance, but at some point we have to put our faith/trust in the coaches and know that they have a vested interest in putting the best players in their proper positions and ranking their order (1st,2nd,3rd string) accordingly. I can only imagine the amount of scrunity that Reggie Ball, the QB Coach, and Chan himself have given this particular position & ranking post bowl game, prior, and post spring practice competition. It seems as though they feel that Reggie still shows/gives them something that earns his #1 status at that position, so I have to trust in their knowledge/experience enough to know that they want to see GT win and the kids excel in their given roles. While I appreciate your personal observations and opinions lets also remember to rally behind our players and find positive things to point out. Thanks for your support of GT, friendships through our common love for GT, and for looking forward to a fresh start in 2005.... Watch out Auburn we're coming for you!
GO JACKETS...... STING'EM!

Great post Ramblin! You hit the nail squarely on the head. Reggie has MUCH to deal with these days and he needs all the prayer, encouragement, and support we can give him and the rest of the players!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

Back