Really not trying to beat a dead horse BUT

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I think I may be the only one who wants to hold clough ultimately responsible. I have read a lot of people blaming CG (not saying they are wrong) and a lot of people blaming DB (not saying they are wrong either) but would like some imput as to why it seems more people are not after clough. It is my understanding DB wanted to hire someone else and clough would not let him.

Bingo!!!
it will be interesting to see what the spin is from campus.

Originally posted by texstinger:
I think I may be the only one who wants to hold clough ultimately responsible.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">TS,
As I said earlier, I have a new respect for you because of how long you've been a fan....BUT

You cannot hold an Academic Administrator responsible for the failings of the Athletic Administrator.

Clough didn't step in and say hire Chan Gailey.
Adams did step in and present Harrick.

The hiring process is a joint Academic/Athletic Committee. They liked Tom O'Brien until he said "I don't think you can win with those academic requirements" The committee said, "Thanks for coming." Because if he took the job not expecting to compete, then he wouldn't have done well. (self-fufilling prophecy)

Clough didn't bring Chan's name to the committee, the committee wanted a high "visibility" hire. I know that from the contacts I still had on campus.
(I use to work at the Technique)

Clough is a doctoral Civil Engineer who in his spare time is involved in several national science committees. This is the same guy who led ,as "the face", a hugely successful Capital Campaign from public, private, and corporate money sources.
That's his primary job-- raising money and having the right people in place so that campus runs smoothly day to day.

Where I think he can be questioned is if Dave Braine is the proper guy for the Athletic Department. Though, I thought DB was the choice of Homer Rice. If that's the case, then there must be a gaping hole in the GTAA's Academic Support office.

If you attack Clough, you risk destroying every chance of the Institute truly being spoken in the same breath as MIT, Berkeley, Michigan...the "Public Ivies". I believe that is his ultimate goal.

Nevermind preventing the State of Georgia becoming a backwoods fiefdom of the governor like the State of Florida.

Clough's hirings are the only things he can be blamed for. It is not in his job description to monitor s/a's academics. Heads should roll but not his. However, I have been thinking heads should roll since I saw the long hair and earrings.
confused.gif

I've largely remained mum on the hair and earrings thing not wanting to appear to much like an O.F. but that's my general feeling as well. Little alarms started going off all over the place when I first saw it and heard it praised as a positive change from the strict O'Gone atmosphere. LACK OF DISCIPLINE! LACK OF DISCIPLINE! NOT GOOD! NOT GOOD! RED FREAKIN ALERT! Discipline is actually a competitive edge and D1 football was pretty competitive last time I checked.

If discipline was a competitive advantage, Army and Navy would have more than 3 wins between them every year. Talent and coaching wins games.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
If discipline was a competitive advantage, Army and Navy would have more than 3 wins between them every year. Talent and coaching wins games.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't believe Army and Navy recruit the same athletes as other big time college programs. I'm not sure what the SAT/ACT requirements are at these academies but probably a minimum 1300-1400 and they don't recruit the bluechippers like other Div. 1 schools - that's why they don't win.
The academies don't live on these programs as their bread and butter. Their sports programs are not why athletes go there.

The SAs that go to other schools need academic discipline - they all don't come in with those kinds of scores - far from it. Yes, GT has athletes come in that have those kinds of academic backgrounds but it's not the majority - our students need help, guidance and a coach and advisors who make sure they are doing what they need to do - on a daily basis. GT standards require much more of an overseer in academics then the academies.

Originally posted by Wrecked:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree 100% that talent and coaching wins games but that's a bad analogy.

Army and Navy aren't at a disadvantage because of their discipline they're disadvantaged because they're essentially playing D1 ball with D1AA level size and talent. On a level playing field the more disciplined team prevails, if not for rotten luck.

Clough is a Tech Man who "seems" to enjoy college sports. He SHOULD be helping the situation at least. He must already understand the limitations and difficulties our coaches have at Tech. Clough could and should do much more than he apparently is.
BOO

More than one person has heard Clough say or insinuate that his biggest "problem" is the AA. My view is that if he were truly an advocate, and realized our marketability of athletics, he would not support all the changes on campus that have been detrimental to sports.

One person's opinion....discuss amongst yourselves.

Back